BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at buying a 2008 BMW 535i (sport package, cold weather package in good condition) w/ 60k miles on it for about $13k.
I'm wondering what have you guys experienced first hand with this cars reliability? I'm going to replace the water pump asap, flush and replace trans fluid as soon as I get it to be on the safe side.
Or..should I be looking at a different model year completely? Budget: $14k max
--thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Preventive Maintenance:

- Replace the sunroof seal
- Test all drains - sunroof, cowl
- Empty everything in the trunk and inspect for water damage

- Walnut blast the intake valves
- Replace Water pump and thermostat
- Check Oil Filter Housing for leaks
- Check Valve Cover for leaks
- Check Oil Pan for leaks
- Check Transmission for leaks
- Check Turbos for excessive wastegate rattle

- Drive the car till fully warmed up. Put transmission in 3 gear and hit the gas full throttle (be safe on safe road!) You are trying to see if the engine will throw a Check engine light and/or reduced power warning. This would be a misfire most likely and indicate work needs to be done on plugs/coils/injectors/vanos solenoids or boost leak, wastegate problems, etc

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply!
At the risk of sounding (and being) a total noob, the 2008 535i I'm looking at is automatic..not sure how to throw it in 3rd.
Just for a little background: I took it for a test drive and floored it a few times with no problems. I inspected under the hood and noticed by the 'oil seperater' (I think) there was a little bit of oil in the groove. Salesman said it could have been spillage from recently changing the oil..but I'm skeptical..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
At the risk of sounding (and being) a total noob, the 2008 535i I'm looking at is automatic..not sure how to throw it in 3rd.
Just for a little background: I took it for a test drive and floored it a few times with no problems. I inspected under the hood and noticed by the 'oil seperater' (I think) there was a little bit of oil in the groove. Salesman said it could have been spillage from recently changing the oil..but I'm skeptical..
Move the shifter the left - you are in auto "sport" mode
Move the shifter the left then Pull it back/forward - you are in Manual mode

Not sure what you may be calling the "oil separator" - but don't trust the dealer on anything if is attributed to spilling some oil. If it so simple, why didn't they just clean it up so no one asks questions about it?

Is this where you saw the oil? The Dealer will charge $800 to fix this I think.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626122

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the part I was referring to. The spill wasn't underneath but on top right by where you would twist the black peice-to the right of the twist thing in one of those holes and grooves.

--thanks for your time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a 545i after seeing that the carfax was clean & calling a couple of BMW service centers - giving them the vin (they said that nothing stood out/to be concerned about).

After purchasing it, one of them called me back to advise to stay away from bmw 8 cylinder models as they're troublesome & expensive to maintain.

So now I'm working to trade the 545i for a 530i that they have in the lot & refund me the bb value difference.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just purchased a 545i after seeing that the carfax was clean & calling a couple of BMW service centers - giving them the vin (they said that nothing stood out/to be concerned about).

After purchasing it, one of them called me back to advise to stay away from bmw 8 cylinder models as they're troublesome & expensive to maintain.

So now I'm working to trade the 545i for a 530i that they have in the lot & refund me the bb value difference.

I'm only taking about 535i's with the turbo 6 cyclinder..
Thanks for sharing though.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's the part I was referring to. The spill wasn't underneath but on top right by where you would twist the black peice-to the right of the twist thing in one of those holes and grooves.

--thanks for your time!
Certainly could be from an oil change.

But that is also where the oil filter housing leaks. Then the oil drips down to the alternator. Then the spinning alternator sprays the oil everywhere.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Certainly could be from an oil change.

But that is also where the oil filter housing leaks. Then the oil drips down to the alternator. Then the spinning alternator sprays the oil everywhere.

That's what I was worried about. So let's say it's a leak and I have to fix it...along with your suggested maintenance...how much for parts/labor we talking?

--Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
It is a $20-$30 in gaskets. If you are a car fixer kinda person it is doable at home with simple tools.

If not, ask your service dept how much to change gaskets in oil filter housing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is a $20-$30 in gaskets. If you are a car fixer kinda person it is doable at home with simple tools.

If not, ask your service dept how much to change gaskets in oil filter housing.

What about water pump, thermostat, walnut wash? I'm confident with basic fixes as long as I have a detailed tutorial..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts

The 535 is the car to have, especially if you liked the 545

The 530 is nice of course but very limited performance wise. And there is nothing reasonable you can do to give it more power.

(I own both)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2008 535i sports package I had it for about 4 years now I love the car so far the only thing I have replaced is the oil housing gasket in the hoses that come out of the oil housing and the oil pan gasket in the car is still going without a problem no misfire no nothing and I have had jb4 and I paid exactly about that 13000

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 2008 535i sports package I had it for about 4 years now I love the car so far the only thing I have replaced is the oil housing gasket in the hoses that come out of the oil housing and the oil pan gasket in the car is still going without a problem no misfire no nothing and I have had jb4 and I paid exactly about that 13000

That's awesome to hear! How many miles are on it now? How many miles were on it when you bought it? And most importantly; how do you drive? Do you drive it hard sometimes or is it always babied?

--Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
15 Posts
95000 miles is when I got now it's 135 miles it's my daily I use it to go to work and to visit family in Miami I live in Orlando how I drive the car I drive the car normal but you know how it is if somebody comes and tries you you got to show off a little bit I have hit the max on the gauge and it responded properly the only thing I can say is that mines has a throttle response lag but besides that the car is great but you know how they say it all depends on the owner and how they take care of the car I do everything on my car I do the maintenance I do the valve cover gasket I'll do the oil pan gasket I have a full diagnostic dealership level computer so I do all the testing on my car

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.