BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering buying a 2008 535i (1 previous owner, sport package, cold weather package, 60k miles = $13k) it looks pretty clean. Although, I'm hearing horror stories about the fuel injector problems, fuel pump problems, and general maintenance issues. I already planned on replacing the water pump ASAP, new battery, new spark plugs, and the valve cover gasket (just to be on the safe side). The 2008 is no doubt a beautiful car; handles well, just feels really great to drive. All these maintenance and problem stories are starting to worry me; I don't want to have to spend some ludicrous amount of money on repairs and nor do I have the time. This car would be my daily commuter, so reliability is a must.

Now on the other hand I could opt out for 2010 535i with like 80k miles that is pretty clean for about $14k (all prices mentioned are before taxes/license fees). I would consider doing the same preventative maintenance as mentioned above; my question is which would give me less of a headache in the coming years, or are they basically the same mechanically? Any personal experience with this? Opinions welcome.

SIDE NOTE: I would only ever consider cars with a clean Carfax and recorded maintenance, no need to mention ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
You shouldn't be looking at either of those cars nor should you be in this forum if you are looking for a reliable daily driver. Expect about $2-3k/yr minimum just to keep them running with those miles. You want a decently reliable BMW? Lease a new one. Try the search button, too...it works wonderfully!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying a 2008 535i (1 previous owner, sport package, cold weather package, 60k miles = $13k) it looks pretty clean. Although, I'm hearing horror stories about the fuel injector problems, fuel pump problems, and general maintenance issues. I already planned on replacing the water pump ASAP, new battery, new spark plugs, and the valve cover gasket (just to be on the safe side). The 2008 is no doubt a beautiful car; handles well, just feels really great to drive. All these maintenance and problem stories are starting to worry me; I don't want to have to spend some ludicrous amount of money on repairs and nor do I have the time. This car would be my daily commuter, so reliability is a must.

Now on the other hand I could opt out for 2010 535i with like 80k miles that is pretty clean for about $14k (all prices mentioned are before taxes/license fees). I would consider doing the same preventative maintenance as mentioned above; my question is which would give me less of a headache in the coming years, or are they basically the same mechanically? Any personal experience with this? Opinions welcome.

SIDE NOTE: I would only ever consider cars with a clean Carfax and recorded maintenance, no need to mention ;)
Go for the 2010.. all issues have been ironed out and it has a much better Nav system and graphics. I have the 2010 and have 75K miles on it with no real issues and it has been reliable so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You shouldn't be looking at either of those cars nor should you be in this forum if you are looking for a reliable daily driver. Expect about $2-3k/yr minimum just to keep them running with those miles. You want a decently reliable BMW? Lease a new one. Try the search button, too...it works wonderfully!
Try the "don't be a d-bag" button; it works wonderfully and might even get you laid..

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 550i and I'd like your help. Would you mind looking up all the known issues with the C60 and N92 engine and post approximate itemized repair costs for both dealer and indy? I need to decide if I should keep this car. :stupid:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 550i and I'd like your help. Would you mind looking up all the known issues with the C60 and N92 engine and post approximate itemized repair costs for both dealer and indy? I need to decide if I should keep this car. :stupid:
LOL, are you being sarcastic?? :rofl:

If you are not sarcastic...then just get rid of the car :tsk:

:roundel:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Yes I was! :typing: My car has 152K now and has always been regularly serviced at the dealer. Several of the known issues have been addressed under warranty which we've renewed a couple of times but at 152K I don't know that it can be renewed again. I recently joined up to learn more about the C60 and N92 and see now I might be soon looking at a ZF failure and possibly also a coolant transfer tube, timing chain guides or VANOS-Valvetronic service, all of which we've had no reason to get into yet. In my case, I have a nice car but I believe it's worth no more than 6 or $7K; a coolant pipe would run about $3K and if it also needed a replacement ZF I would be looking at some hard choices. Looks like these cars with mid to high miles can become a money vacuum cleaner if you don't do your homework before making a purchase. If I was currently considering one with 70 to 80K the single most important piece of advice may be to pull the service records and compare them with known issues to assess your potential cost. The old phrase "if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" somewhat applies here. Hondas and Toyotas are still an option.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's a similar decision I had to make with my previous car, a Nissan Maxima. It had 256k miles and needed ~$1,200 in repairs to pass emissions tests. Car was in excellent condition cosmetically and inside and, o2 sensors and Cat converters aside, it was it great mechanical condition as well but it was only worth it $3k as a trade in. Traded it in for my current vehicle. We have to know when to let go :-(

Sent from my LGLS991 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2010 535i xdrive with 80k miles. Purchased the car in 2014 with 45k miles. Since then my third party warranties (two of them) have shelled out over $10k. BMW warranties, fuel injector and emissions, have probably spent another $10k.

These cars have problems and require repairs. You may want to look at another brand if you are concerned about reliability. If you are set on these two cars I would opt for the 2010 because the CIC interface is leap years ahead of the CCC. Plus I can confirm that the fuel injectors are warrantied for 2010, but I'm unsure about 2008. I think the warranty was for 8 years or 82k miles.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I second him on this. I too had my share of repairs (luckily under CPO warranty), all related ty fuel injector and emissions that probably would've cost me $6-$7K. Then my water pump went out at 102k, just outside warranty. Unless similar repairs have been addressed on either of these cars, I'd walk away from them.
An alternative for you, depending on budget, would be to get a used car with CPO.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're concerned with reliability on a problematic model... why not look into a more reliable model. N52 has a pretty good reputation in general. My 09' 528 has been great to me

Or, get the help of a BMW mechanic to tell you if certain things (water pump, valve cover gasket, etc) have already been replaced. That could swing one of your options by $2k over the other. Just one person's opinion.. :dunno:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I haven't found there to be an appreciable difference in reliability between the 2008 and 2010 model years. If you want something reliable you'll need to look at Japanese brands. Even a new BMW will have problems and be in the shop frequently, you'll just be spared the expenses if it's under warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2008 535i with 145k miles. I've owned it since it rolled off the showroom floor. I was lucky, and spared the HPFP problems, but I had it replaced anyway for free with the recall. It has been very reliable and not too crazy on maintenance, but do expect a new Valve cover gasket every 40k-50k miles. It's not that bad of a DIY if you have 3 hours and tools. This car is definitely a lot of fun to drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
One big reason to go to 2010 is to make sure to get M-sport package, it;s for cosmetic reason but beat bad paint job of aftermarket m-bumpers anyday.

As far as reliability, I concur with all have to say, not much diff between 2008 535i to 2010 535i.

After all typical issues, injectors, plugs, OFH, VCG, belt, WP, thermostat, LP pump sensor etc etc etc, the dreaded warning now for me is what I suspect sunroof leak, creating unreliable TPMS reading. No history fault when I connect my BT tools.
No water in the trunk, batt compartment etc but maybe enough water to make the truck rather damp.
So check the headliner, smell the carpet, look in the truck on those 2008 or 2010 cars, amke sure you don;t have issue there.
GL

But still love my E60, haven't seen the G30 in real live but I can't pass the rear and side views on the latest 5-series, sorry BMW.
I hate to say this also, bring back Chris Bangle, Adrian Van Hoydonk is rather conservative IMHO. OK I love the 2-series though:bigpimp:

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
My 2008, bought new and well serviced, has had very few problems.

If the car has 60K miles it should not need new plugs as they should have already been replaced at around 40K or so. If they have not been replaced by now, you need to wonder what other routine maintenance has not been done. How are the front and rear brakes? If you are still on originals, expect to pay someone $1,000 bucks to replace all 4, if not now, then soon.

My car has been extremely reliable and remains fun to drive. About a month ago I did a 0-60 test and it came in under 6 seconds. But I maintain my car very well, using BMW parts. My indie swears by BMW parts, even though you can get away cheaper. I just had the front brakes done, using BMW rotors and pads and any associated hardware. My indie said that since I got 100+K miles out of the original rotors, why go with something less? I only have about 1500 miles on the fronts, but stopping power and feel is identical to the first 100+ K

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
snip

After all typical issues, injectors, plugs, OFH, VCG, belt, WP, thermostat, LP pump sensor etc etc etc, the dreaded warning now for me is what I suspect sunroof leak, creating unreliable TPMS reading. No history fault when I connect my BT tools.
No water in the trunk, batt compartment etc but maybe enough water to make the truck rather damp.
So check the headliner, smell the carpet, look in the truck on those 2008 or 2010 cars,

snip
You've probably seen the recent class action suit win on water in the trunk. tim330 posted it several places.

But the TPMS' wear out after eight years or so -- batteries in the transmitters go. So it may only be end of life on them. Aftermarket sensors not that expensive, but if you're getting low tire warnings and the tires aren't low, it could be time for the replacements.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm currently over 201,000 miles on my '08 535i (mostly highway miles). Bought the car about 4 years ago when it had about 30k miles on it. The HPFP was replaced under warranty. After warranty I've had to replace the overhead valve gasket cover, water pump & thermostat, radiator hose, another gasket (forgot which one). I have done my own oil changes, brake pad & rotor changes, and spark plugs which has offset some of the ownership costs for this vehicle. FWIW, despite the maintenance costs the car has driven and performed beautifully. This has been especially rewarding for a commuter like me. So my opinion is to get one of these cars only if you can commit to the maintenance expectations. I'd say that the maintenance items aren't as daunting if you are looking at this car because you truly appreciate the performance value of a BMW. Anyway, if you're still considering then I would go for the 2010 for the extra $1k (and better iDrive interface) and I would set aside about $5k for the unexpected (and expected). Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts

You've done some homework and note some of the trouble spots. I have a 2010 M Sport and strongly favor the look and updated Idrive. The car will run you several grand per year in maintenance BUT you are buying it for $14K!!!!!!!!!!!! I would buy it all day long ....as long as you can afford the maintenance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dedicated to the haters on this thread..

I purchased my 2008 BMW 535i with around 60k miles over a year ago and am now sitting around 86,000 miles. This is my daily driver and I love it. My questions were initially based off the long time rumors that BMW's are nightmares and money pits. I do believe BMW's can be extremely reliable if well cared for. I believe most people do little things to their cars that add over time and cause catastrophic problems down the road. "Fella's" on here trying to scare me away from such a beautiful daily driver should be tar and feathered. "Expect $2-3k maintenance a year." This lad might be a fellow is takes his car to the dealer to change the day-time running light...or rotate his tires. Very pleased with "un-tuned" car's performance and reliability. Anyone reading this thread and debating buying one of these masterpieces- do your homework and don't settle for one that wasn't absolutely cared for with love. Check maintenance records extensively, look for open recalls, look for the known problems already addressed. If you have a garage, or know someone cool who will let you use their garage for DIY's, buy Robert Bentley's service book. Do not let these stereotypical less-than desriable naysayers sway you from this vehicle! Happy driving and safe travels my friends! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts