BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 9, 2008 I placed an order for a 2008 X3; specs below:

- Monaco Blue Metallic 475.00
- Tobacco/Black Nevada Leather 1,450.00
- Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
- Sport Package 2,200.00
- Privacy glass
- Manual Transmission

This contract order was based on the agreed price of 40,885, which included the destination, acquisition, maco, & training. Later that night, I was informed that an error was made on the part of the BMW sales associate. I believe I was being reasonable given the circumstances and agree to an increase of $920 to correct the error; for a net total of $41,805. The net amount did not include a processing fee of 299, tax of 3%, license and title fee of 105, and a dealer license fee of 299. Today I was told that my net is now 43,475.00 plus an additional $775 will be added to the total; a difference of $2,445!

My original post was to ask the forum on a decision whether to lease or purchase but now I think I’m going to cancel the order if they renege on the price originally agreed. Given my current situation can I get my full deposit back of $2000 if I cancel the order?

thanks
 

·
Drink the koolaid or else
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
many states offer full refunds on deposits, I'm not sure about VA, but it should state something on the receipt you got. and sounds like a total BS game they are playing with you.
invoice + $1,000 would be $41,715 (including maco and training), + 299 (WTF?) +3% +105 +209 (WTF?) = 43,579. make them waive the addition 775 and it's still a good deal.

UNLESS this 775 includes the added "new June 1 costs" but even then that cost isn't that much, more like $400.
 

·
Tar Heel Faithful
Joined
·
14,127 Posts
Cancel the order. That's way too much "tack on". You can get your full deposit back as well. In the future, if the dealer asks for $2k as a deposit, leave! $500 deposit for an X3 is enough.

If you're still interested, I can provide a referral to someone.
 

·
Drink the koolaid or else
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
they did clearly make a mistake though, as 40,885 is only 170 over invoice. is there trunk money on the x3s right now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
On May 9, 2008 I placed an order for a 2008 X3; specs below:

- Monaco Blue Metallic 475.00
- Tobacco/Black Nevada Leather 1,450.00
- Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
- Sport Package 2,200.00
- Privacy glass
- Manual Transmission

This contract order was based on the agreed price of 40,885, which included the destination, acquisition, maco, & training. Later that night, I was informed that an error was made on the part of the BMW sales associate. I believe I was being reasonable given the circumstances and agree to an increase of $920 to correct the error; for a net total of $41,805. The net amount did not include a processing fee of 299, tax of 3%, license and title fee of 105, and a dealer license fee of 299. Today I was told that my net is now 43,475.00 plus an additional $775 will be added to the total; a difference of $2,445!

My original post was to ask the forum on a decision whether to lease or purchase but now I think I***8217;m going to cancel the order if they renege on the price originally agreed. Given my current situation can I get my full deposit back of $2000 if I cancel the order?

thanks
Dealers have been playing this game since the dawn of creation; they get you emotionally wrapped up in the car then spring this farce upon you post facto.
I'd tell them if they can't abide the contract, "Stick It"!!! then go find a reputable dealer.
I'd expect this kind of crap from a Kia dealer but certainly not from BMW.
You need to remember who is in the driver's seat given the state of this economy.
Stick to your guns and watch them cave. If they balk on the deposit, threaten to take 'em to small claims court and watch 'em soil their breeches.
bobkap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
I would be out of that deal ina heartbeat. remember, there is always another dealer happy to take your money. Check the board sponsors. They seem aswome. I wish I had been more active here before I ordered mine. WALK AWAY
 

·
Drink the koolaid or else
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
also, some still have MARK UP on their cars... an east bay dealer still has a "Market Value" markup of $1,995 on all of their X3s. HAHA!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,154 Posts
My original post was to ask the forum on a decision whether to lease or purchase but now I think I'm going to cancel the order if they renege on the price originally agreed. Given my current situation can I get my full deposit back of $2000 if I cancel the order?
This is why the dealer system has to go. I don't have this problem when I go to www.dell.com, http://store.apple.com. Configure exactly what you want, have it built to order, and buy directly from the manufacturer avoiding the middle men. You could even do the Apple show room approach so that you can kick the tires, but carry no inventory. All of that inventory on the lot costs serious money (both the loans to cover the costs and the need to reduce prices to get a customer to accept white when they wanted grey, for example). I'm sure BMW doesn't like it that their dealers are ruining their brand through tactics like this. So, let's get rid of the middle man already...

-James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Hey a contract is a contract, especially if written.
I'd hold 'em to it and let them know they'll be in breach if they won't honor it.
It may well not be worth your time to pursue but see what they do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
also, some still have MARK UP on their cars... an east bay dealer still has a "Market Value" markup of $1,995 on all of their X3s. HAHA!!
WHAT!!! r u serious?? that's crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Not a lawyer but...

you have a WRITTEN CONTRACT for $40,885. If a mistake was made and they won't perform on the contract, then I would ASSUME you have the right to a refund. You can't make them deliver at that price, but they can't force you to pay any price they want.

My guess is the second callback was "we got him once, let's go back for more!".

What is the breakdown on the $920 added on? I added the figures you gave and they didn't add up.

"The net amount did not include a processing fee of 299, tax of 3%, license and title fee of 105, and a dealer license fee of 299. Today I was told that my net is now 43,475.00 plus an additional $775 will be added to the total; a difference of $2,445!" This is ON TOP of the $920?

The processing & dealer license fees are BS. There is probably a reasonable processing fee, but $598 isn't reasonable. I have no idea what tax, license & title fees are; I'd check; if correct, that's fair (once you make sure you weren't already charged it). And how are they justifying the $775?

Personally I'd walk just because of these tactics. Period. I wouldn't even re-negotiate. I'd just say "we agreed on $40,885 plus TTL;if you aren't going to honor this please refund my deposit". End of story. No mistakes allowed, it's amazing how many "mistakes" show up after the deal is done. If they aren't competent enough to get the price right at time of order, then who knows what other mistakes they'll make--and you certainly don't want to do business with such an error-prone company!

There are lots of other dealers around, as well as board sponsors, who won't play these games. Fair is fair--if they didn't intend to honor this price, they shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place.

(can you tell that BS gets me steamed? Why not just be HONEST about things from the beginning!)
 

·
resU deretsigeR
Joined
·
6,259 Posts
This is why the dealer system has to go. I don't have this problem when I go to www.dell.com, http://store.apple.com
BMW could and almost does do this with the Mini. For the most part Mini's are now selling at MSRP. Small discounts are possible, but you'd have to shop.

BMW offers far more configuration flexibility on the Mini. We are getting close to the range of options they make available in Europe.

We've been looking at Mini and the dealer even suggested that we configure the car using the on-line system and send the build to them. Fax over the credit application. Pick up the car in 6 to 8 weeks.

Next step is to be able to do the entire sales contract on-line. I'd much rather double check the paper work at home then sitting in an F&I office. Dealer's will fight hard against that. They make far to much money on the back-end of a deal.

No where near as slick as the Dell on-line store but getting there.
 

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
Joined
·
4,252 Posts
Dump em---- I live in the DC, MD, VA area and there are more BMW dealers and owners then I have ever seen in my life.

I would actually go so far as to report them to CS at BMWNA as someone stated this is part of what is tarnishing the BMW name.

Feel free to post their name (the dealers that is) as well. I know for a FACT that BMWNA watches this board very closely.


Always be prepared to walk away from a "Deal" and you will get the best deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
They made a mistake and they should live up to it and honor the deal. If they will not then they must refund your deposit. They win some and they lose some. If they cancel the deal I would just start over again. E-mail a few dealers in your area with the exact specs on the model you are looking for. Color. options, everything. Every dealer has an internet sales rep. who realizes it is a pure bidding war. Let's face it - it's a commodity and lowest price wins.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
247 Posts
On May 9, 2008 I placed an order for a 2008 X3; specs below:

- Monaco Blue Metallic 475.00
- Tobacco/Black Nevada Leather 1,450.00
- Cold Weather Package 1,000.00
- Sport Package 2,200.00
- Privacy glass
- Manual Transmission

This contract order was based on the agreed price of 40,885, which included the destination, acquisition, maco, & training. Later that night, I was informed that an error was made on the part of the BMW sales associate. I believe I was being reasonable given the circumstances and agree to an increase of $920 to correct the error; for a net total of $41,805. The net amount did not include a processing fee of 299, tax of 3%, license and title fee of 105, and a dealer license fee of 299. Today I was told that my net is now 43,475.00 plus an additional $775 will be added to the total; a difference of $2,445!

My original post was to ask the forum on a decision whether to lease or purchase but now I think I'm going to cancel the order if they renege on the price originally agreed. Given my current situation can I get my full deposit back of $2000 if I cancel the order?

thanks
We ordered our X3 late April and got it for $700 over invoice - we felt that was pretty good and got mats thrown in - I think many dealerships want to get the mid-point between invoice and MSRP and then will maybe bend somewhat if you're firm - good luck !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Very similar thing happened to me, we agreed on a deal and the provision was that they would accept all fees on my end of lease vehicle. I even didn't notice that the copy of the agreement they gave me only had my signature. Another words the dealer's case was stronger than in your situation. Still I wrote a letter and faxed it to them. Two days later I had my deposit returned to them.

I don't think you'll have any problems, honestly. get out of the deal and get a better dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The verdict is in...my order for the 2008 X3 is now cancelled. I did get my full deposit back. They did send an email stating that there was a bit of "miscommunication" on their behalf but did not honor the initial purchase order price. I still have not decided if I should write about my frustrating experience to BMWUSA customer service.

As for my X3 purchase, maybe I’ll just hold out for the 2009 model…or maybe not.

Do what to thank all of you for your responses.

Cheers.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top