BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased my 2008 BMW X3 that has a factory radio with nav. Radio/aux worked fine for the first few weeks. All of a sudden when I play the radio it has time delays where the music will cut out. It will play music for 5 minutes then cut out for 2 minutes. Doesn't matter if I'm driving it or if it's parked. Same thing when I plug my iPod in, 5 minutes on 2 minutes off. Unplugged and replugged battery and it didn't help. Not sure if I have accidentally set some sort of timer on it? If anyone has suggestions on how to fix it will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Could be temperature related. Something heats up and the connection opens.

Since it's a fault condition its hard to pinpoint if its the amp or the headunit. Start with the cheapest test. Remove and inspect and reseat the connectors for the amp and HU. Check for corrosion and water ingress as well as non-BMW modifications.

Does the issue occur with all speakers and all audio sources, or just radio? Is there any signs of issues on the display such as sources disappearing from the nav display or the display itself shutting off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be temperature related. Something heats up and the connection opens.

Since it's a fault condition its hard to pinpoint if its the amp or the headunit. Start with the cheapest test. Remove and inspect and reseat the connectors for the amp and HU. Check for corrosion and water ingress as well as non-BMW modifications.

Does the issue occur with all speakers and all audio sources, or just radio? Is there any signs of issues on the display such as sources disappearing from the nav display or the display itself shutting off?
Hi! Thanks for responding!
Originally I had thought using the aux the problem still occurred, but this is not the case, it's just the radio. There are no problems with the display, I can read what songs playing or what it changes to, and all other displays are normal, it's just mute. I'll try your suggestions and see if the problem fixes! Thanks again!

·
Registered
764 Posts
My 2006 has had a flaky radio forever. Sometimes it works fine, others the radio will not work for an entire drive, other times it will pop on randomly after a few minutes. Swapping the pre-programmed channels will change frequencies, but the station remains playing the previous station until I manually hit the scan up/down button, but only for a few stations near the bottom of the FM frequencies..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It's important to be specific. When you say "radio" Do you mean Headunit, AM/FM radio, Sirius Radio or Navigation, phone and Headunit audio. Since they all point too different issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts