BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question should be what isnt wrong

Than you for responding. I have a 2008 x5 3.0i. 133,000 miles the suspension needs to be replaced the water pump thermostat needs to be replaced navigation isnt working or the dvd i dont know which one. The seatbelt indicator works once in a while and my bumper sensors i rhink are not working correctly there are are other issues but i am truly tired of texting.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
That is a lot of issues, sorry to hear. I've moved your question to our E70 X5 forum, this is the place you will get help when you're ready to tackle the problems. Where are you located?

Tim

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,163 Posts
.... but i am truly tired of texting.
You've found one of the best online resources for the X5.

Maybe try a full computer- you can then search for terms; bookmark and save pages; come back and research items....

Just texting message and hoping someone will compose a 'magic bullet' solution to your issues will likely not work out.

Are you a DIYer? Do you want to tackle these yourself? Or you want us to recommend a shop?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I petsonally would like to do them myself becasue as a woman alot of auto shops think i dont know what they are talking about and they think they can take advantage. I havent worked in a car in many years but i have no problem with getting my hands dirty. Especially when it is going to say me alit of money. I have already been quoted a ridiculous price to replace the water pump and thermostat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in New Castle DE myself. I have a great shop that works in my BMW. It's called All Tune and Lube. It's next to the Popeyes further down 13....Great place...Ask for Zeb and tell him Mark sent you. He's a great guy!! They do all my work for my 2010 GT......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,429 Posts
I petsonally would like to do them myself becasue as a woman alot of auto shops think i dont know what they are talking about and they think they can take advantage. I havent worked in a car in many years but i have no problem with getting my hands dirty. Especially when it is going to say me alit of money. I have already been quoted a ridiculous price to replace the water pump and thermostat.
The cost of service amortizes the expense of tools, training and time non-productive. If one is to DIY then one must instantly invest in tools and training/technical manuals and dedicate personal time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that it cost but when i am qouted $2600 to teplace thermostat and water pump. I know i am being taken for a ride. I have the tools and i am willing to i vest the time to save myself over $2300.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's a DIY on YouTube. I followed it and did the water pump replacement in about four hours prep to clean up. Pretty straight forward. You need to wiggle things around due to lack of space, and you will need to get a set of torx bits if you don't have them already.

Order all the parts including BMW coolant or the xerez that's compatible. You also need to do the "burping" procedure for the coolant system which is also on youtube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you do choose to do this yourself, order parts from one of the online sites that sell oen parts. Fcpeuro, ecs tuning. Pump and thermostat run around $450-$500 total.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Work is done water pump and thermostat has been replaced thsnk you you tube lol if i known this almost 2 monts ago it would of been done a ong ago

·
Registered
338 Posts
Work is done water pump and thermostat has been replaced thsnk you you tube lol if i known this almost 2 monts ago it would of been done a ong ago
Wait a minute! 9 this morning you were looking up the parts. 5 hours later your water pump and thermostat are replaced? Did I miss something?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,163 Posts
Wait a minute! 9 this morning you were looking up the parts. 5 hours later your water pump and thermostat are replaced? Did I miss something?
Uh, yeah. I was going to respond, but that just pulled me up short.

"I havent worked on a car in many years".... then jumped in and did this?

Must be more to the story.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No i didnt do the work i was able to convince my fiancee who is a diesel mechanic and was refussing to work on the truck because one he doesnt like to work on gad engines to much because thst isnt his thing i dont know ehy but he just doenst like to which cost me money. And two the nice guy how told me about the youtube video. That is why i was asking for help also my fisncess works in maryland 3 and a half ahours aeay that is i was looking for a mechanic

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,429 Posts
Seven hours travel time plus work makes a looong day. TTFN

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luckily he csme here. I already had the water pump and thermostat here. Now i just need to get the rest of the work done. I still have a ways to go before my car will even pass inspection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts