BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Z4 which has been diagnosed with drain problems. I could hear sloshing water and the dealership discovered that my drain system was clogged w/ debris. The service manager told me that to get all of the stuff out of the drain I would have to have the top removed. Of course the warranty is not kicking in (outside influences). I did go to a top repair place and they disagreed about removing the top to clear the drains. If any of you have experienced this problem please share your solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drain Issue

I'm just curious to know if the drain fix by the top is all that I need to do. Is there somewhere else on the car that can be cleaned out? I apparently had water sloshing in the rocker panels of the car and the dealership cleaned out a bunch of debris from somewhere that was blocking the drain system. I have had two other Z-4's and have not experienced this problem before so I'm a little befuddled over this whole thing. Not to mention that I really don't know how the car is put together as I am not a mechanic.

Thanks for your fix for the car top drain.

·
Z ENTHUSIAST
751 Posts
You are so welcome, If I know something, I like to share it. I have heard of the skirts filling up with water and I still wonder how it is getting in. Living here in SoCal we do not get much rain and my car is parked inside, so I have not had the issues myself. You mustbe up in NorCal. You actually get rain there. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I live on the Central Coast of CA and normally we don't get much rain, either. Lately it has been a different story! At any rate, thinking back we have been using a local car wash that does an underflush as part of the car wash and I'm wondering if that is part of the problem with the rocker panels. I won't do that anymore and hopefully it will help correct the problem.

·
BMW Lover Since 1972
146 Posts
Car Wash...Yikes...

Actually, I live on the Central Coast of CA and normally we don't get much rain, either. Lately it has been a different story! At any rate, thinking back we have been using a local car wash that does an underflush as part of the car wash and I'm wondering if that is part of the problem with the rocker panels. I won't do that anymore and hopefully it will help correct the problem.
Car Washes are serious no-no's for your Bimmer's paint finish (do some reading in the car detailing section), but are especially heinous for ragtops. :yikes: ANY soap will strip the protectant out of the material in no time at all. You should ONLY use plain water and a soft brush (put a wet rag on bird poop and let it sit for a while then rinse off) and should treat you ragtop once a year with RaggTopp (again check the info in the detailing discussions).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts