BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 128i with a deployed air bag that is under the steering wheel (I guess it's called the knee airbag) I cant seem to find any info on how to remove it. I found other models of BMW removal of knee bags but this 128 does not seem to have the same screws as the 5 series video I saw.

If anyone also knows what, if any, sensors might need to be replaced from that deployed bag I have INPA to scan but am not sure how to use it for that purpose

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
any idea what caused only the knee airbag to deploy?!?

TIS instructions..pretty much just take it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not exactly sure what happened as it was before i owned it. im going to imagine it was some sort of low impact curb crash or slow speed bumper (high enough speed for the knee low enough for the steering wheel?)

that actually helps out because I didnt realize i needed to take off the lower and upper plastics under the steering wheel.

Do you happen to know if a deployed bag ALWAYS has to have the module replaced or can it just be programed / erased with inpa/ ista?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
1. i was not aware that the airbag system could deploy only a single airbag in response to a crash. Yes, it might deploy one side or another, or 'the front'. But just the knee and nothing else? I dunno, but gives me pause

2. Are you sure all other airbags are in place? A car repair scam is shops that stuff paper and garbage into the deployed airbag chamber and seal it up....then code it out or sell it with an SRS and claim 'its just some sensor' There have been stories of body shops getting $$$ from insurance, but not putting the new part in...

3. Im not going to tell you how to disable SRS components.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I def do not want to disable them. I have to have them working for turo or I would get fucked legally. What I want to do is buy a knee airbag that has not been deployed, install it, and not have it blow up in my face the second I plug it in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts