BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, I did a quick search but can't seem to find the answers I need.

I have a 2009 323i with everything stock at this point. I'd like to get winter tires but not sure what the best tires are for our rear wheel drive cars. I was looking at Nokian Hakkapellita-r's, Yokohama ice guards, or Hankook ipike's. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Second thing is, should I stick to the stock 205/55/16's or would i be better off matching up with a more narrow profile if i can find one?

The other big question I had that even the service department at the dealership seemed stumped on is whether I'll run into issues with the low pressure sensors on the wheels or if they're in the wheel itself or the hub. There seems to be some confusion since the 323i is very similar with the 328i but missing a few extra features. I'd rather get non-run flats to save the money and get a second set of wheels, steel or alloy for the winters and swap out the stock all season's another performance tire since I'm finding the stock tires awful compared to yoko s-drives on my acura.

any help would be much appreciated!

·
NHTSA Nazi
351 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot. AFAIK, Canadian cars do NOT have sensors in the wheels - but any Canadian member should be able to confirm this.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
TMPS is integral to the valve stem, not to the wheel or the hub. Just make sure that the wheel you purchase is compatible with TMPS (most wheels are, I believe).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at discounttire.com its suggesting that I purchase TMPS sensors at $12 each for the 328i sedan (323i isn't listed on their site as an option since not sold in the US). Is this necessary for my car or just the 328i's? I called another local BMW dealership and they again sounded like they didn't know the answer for where the TMPS is located in our cars and if I need to add these sensors when buying aftermarket wheels and tires. The guy was trying to push a set of wheels and runflats for a ridiculous price and kept saying i shouldn't have any problems with aftermarket parts and TMPS....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tire tests give us an idea but different tests have slightly conflicting results. I think that snow tires should be optimized for snow and ice and that having performance snow tires defeats the purpose of snow tires. When there is bad weather, you want the best tires for the weather, not some tire that can perform moderately well when not in snow and second best when in snow. Of course, that might mean calm driving during the winter time.

I have good results with the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. If I were buying new snow tires, I'd consider the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R and the Michelin X-Ice Xi2. WS60's are a 3rd or 4th choice. If you have studded tires, then Nokian makes a good tire as well as General Altimax Arctic. Good luck on your choice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering a set of xi2's based on the great reviews I've seen so far. Hopefully i'll be happy with them. The question I still have unanswered is whether or not I'll run into issues with the TPMS system? do i need some sort of sensor installed with the tires at the shop? i tried asking another dealer in town but again I could not get a straight answer. all i got was him trying to sell me a set of runflats with steel rims for a ridiculous price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts