BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for dealers or for anyone that has purchased/leased a loaner recently. My wife's leased Lexus was turned in on March 10th. My local CA located an 09 328i, configured as she wanted, that was due to arrive at the VPC on 3/14 but would obviously take another 10-14 days to arrive at the dealership. He is a great guy and said he would put her in a loaner until our new car arrived. Well, he was TOO good to us because he put her in a 2009 528i, configured with Prem, Sport, Cold weather, nav, PDC and the same color outside and inside that the 328i is.

Well, she has fallen in love and is already referring to it as "her car". The 528i has 3500 miles on it and MSRP is $56650. My question is with the 2010 5 series due to arrive in dealerships in a few weeks, and give the miles and loaner status, what is a reasonable selling price on the car? Obviously, one of the things with leasing a loaner is the residual is reduced for the mileage (my understanding is .15/mile over 500) so that will add about $450 to my total lease cost. From a dealership standpoint, which car would you be most motivated to sell? Also, from a dealership standpoint, how is profit determined on a loaner?

The lease parameters are better with the 5 series: money factor is the same, residual is 1% better, owner loyalty cap reduction is $2500 versus $1000 for the 3 series, but that is offset a little by the adjusted residual due to loaner miles. Also, I get an extra $500 BMWCCA rebate on the 5 series.

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
You may be better off seeing what your CA will do with an in stock new 2009 528i.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may be better off seeing what your CA will do with an in stock new 2009 528i.
She has a specific color combination that she likes, Space Gray with Gray leather, and this is the only one on the lot.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
She has a specific color combination that she likes, Space Gray with Gray leather, and this is the only one on the lot.
The problem is that that loaner she's driving may not even be eligible to be sold yet. In other words, loaners have to stay in service like 6 months, if I recall. Plus, the mileage would affect the residual noticably. Just saying. I agree with Chris on this one.

Plus, I'd see if there was a second or third color choice.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
And of course, since your in Alabama - you may want to see what Adrian can do for you, if you're current CA can't satisfy :).

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is that that loaner she's driving may not even be eligible to be sold yet. In other words, loaners have to stay in service like 6 months, if I recall. Plus, the mileage would affect the residual noticably. Just saying. I agree with Chris on this one.

Plus, I'd see if there was a second or third color choice.
Ahh, didn't know about the 6 month thing. That will actually be good. She loved the 328i and was ecstatic when my CA located a gray on gray that had the options she was most interested in: nav, heated seats, and sirius. All was great until he put her in the loaded 528i to drive for a few weeks. :)

I probably should've looked more at the 5 series but she had it in her head that she wanted to keep the payment to less than $500.

·
Vendor
7,262 Posts
Ahh, didn't know about the 6 month thing. That will actually be good. She loved the 328i and was ecstatic when my CA located a gray on gray that had the options she was most interested in: nav, heated seats, and sirius. All was great until he put her in the loaded 528i to drive for a few weeks. :)

I probably should've looked more at the 5 series but she had it in her head that she wanted to keep the payment to less than $500.
Less than $500 with all that? :yikes: :eeps: Maybe with some cap reduction in addition to BMW's.

I hope your CA didn't cost himself a sale on a 3er. Lesson learned. Moral of the story: If you sell a client a car you don't have in stock and you have to put them in a loaner, do so in a model of equal or comparable class. Otherwise, the deal may go sideways.

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Less than $500 with all that? :yikes: :eeps: Maybe with some cap reduction in addition to BMW's.

I hope your CA didn't cost himself a sale on a 3er. Lesson learned. Moral of the story: If you sell a client a car you don't have in stock and you have to put them in a loaner, do so in a model of equal or comparable class. Otherwise, the deal may go sideways.
Didn't mention I'm doing 7 SDs. That in combination with the owner loyalty MF and cap reduction gets me a payment of $480 before tax on the 328i. I agree, it would've been better if he had put her in a low optioned 3 series. We will be leasing something from him though. A CA that loans you a $56k car to drive for a couple weeks while you wait on your new car is pretty rare, I think. He has also provided me a loaner off the lot the two times my M3 has been in for service. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts