BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello just wanted to share my experience with updating the Map from 2009 to 2013...

I own a 2009 750i (build is 6/2009)

After long search i found 'shawnsheridan' here on the forum he provided me with much useful information, followed his directions and referral for getting the 'Activation code' which would cost at least $250 at the dealer for ONLY $50, downloaded the usb 2013 north america map
now... i know the general rule is that only cars that were built after 9/2009 can do that it still worked for me on the very first try.
It took about 45 min for the update to complete (the car was running and everything audio, phone etc.. still worked beside the navigation)
Then i had a much needed fresh 2013 map since the 2009 had many mistakes with streets and freeway exits

Many thanks to shawnsheridan who took the time to explain and provide Excellent direction.

Here is how i did it:
if the build date of the your car is before 09/2009, you likely can not update via the Glovebox USB port. but, you can try if you want, mine is 6/2009 and it did work.
Do all the process, there is no risk that i am aware of by trying. To the best of MY knowledge, if the car is not compatible, the update will not be accepted. only if you get to the stage where the car asks for the activation code then buy it!

1) Open in WinRAR or other unarchiver
2) Extract large .img File (Size is just over 30g)
3) Open .img file with 7-Zip or 'mount' the img file if you are using mac
4) Extract the 1 file and 1 folder to the root of your 32GB(min) Fat32 Formatted USB flash Drive.
5) Install through the Glovebox USB Port, wait till it loads (about 1-2 minutes), click update and wait again till it asks for the code.
6) Enter the code you got from THE GUY
7) Eat a sandwich, Drink coffee or something like that....And come back after 45 minutes

You can do all of the above at your own responsibility! if something goes wrong go to the dealer and beg for help ;)

Need more 'info'??? let me know

Found a video of the process once the usb is inserted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDQzGKDtbXc#!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello just wanted to share my experience with updating the Map from 2009 to 2013...

I own a 2009 750i (build is 6/2009)

After long search i found 'shawnsheridan' here on the forum he provided me with much useful information, followed his directions and referral for getting the 'Activation code' which would cost at least $250 at the dealer for ONLY $50, downloaded the usb 2013 north america map
now i know the general rule is that only cars that were built after 9/2009 can do that it still worked for me on the very first try.
It took about 45 min for the update to complete (the car was running and everything but the nav still worked)
Then i had a much needed fresh 2013 map since the 2009 had many mistakes with streets and freeway exits

Many thanks to shawnsheridan who took the time to explain and provide Excellent direction
Can you also message me the instructions please.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you coco135. Got it ! Emailed your contact for instructions and purchase. I have a 2009 so hope it works. Stealers charge way too much....
As I said in my instructions if its build 9/2009 or after then no issues. If its before just try first and see if the car asks for the code if yes then you're good to make the purchase of the code.
I am very suspicious to when it comes to buy codes online but that guy was very responsive and the code was accepted without a glitch!

Enjoy life (now that you're driving the ultimate driving machine ;)

·
285 Posts
I did my update to 2012 maps the archaic way - with dual layer DVD's. I'm pretty sure I bought my FSC code from the same guy as you and I am very happy. With DVDs it takes a few hours to do the update but you can do it while driving (and still use all functions) and it always picks up where it left off when I restart the car. I definitely recommend doing this as the updates from year to year are definitely noticeable, even in urban environments like LA.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did my update to 2012 maps the archaic way - with dual layer DVD's. I'm pretty sure I bought my FSC code from the same guy as you and I am very happy. With DVDs it takes a few hours to do the update but you can do it while driving (and still use all functions) and it always picks up where it left off when I restart the car. I definitely recommend doing this as the updates from year to year are definitely noticeable, even in urban environments like LA.
Hi chase, following closely the Wednesday meeting idea. Hope it's still on

·
Registered
43 Posts
coco135 thanks for the instructions. I already paid him and got my activation code. I'm just downloading all the files and will install it tomm. I live in Sherman Oaks so I pretty close to Weddington park in Studio City.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts