BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
201 - 220 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need help with navi update

Hello coco135

Was hunting to learn about navi update, came across through your blog and seems very intriguing.
I am very interested in getting the program and all for it to try it as well.
I have a 2009 750 Li as well, not sure when exactly "manufactured", I believe towards July? I had entertained upgrading it, was told it will cost about $300, which includes 1 day's worth of labor at dealership.

Definitely want to give it a try.

If you would, kindly share all information on exactly how to download (if available online) or "buy" through your source, the 2013 maps and exact instructions on how to install please.

Kindly reply at your earliest convenient.

Thanks!!!

JS

Hello just wanted to share my experience with updating the Map from 2009 to 2013...

I own a 2009 750i (build is 6/2009)

After long search i found 'shawnsheridan' here on the forum he provided me with much useful information, followed his directions and referral for getting the 'Activation code' which would cost at least $250 at the dealer for ONLY $50, downloaded the usb 2013 north america map
now... i know the general rule is that only cars that were built after 9/2009 can do that it still worked for me on the very first try.
It took about 45 min for the update to complete (the car was running and everything audio, phone etc.. still worked beside the navigation)
Then i had a much needed fresh 2013 map since the 2009 had many mistakes with streets and freeway exits

Many thanks to shawnsheridan who took the time to explain and provide Excellent direction.

Here is how i did it:
if the build date of the your car is before 09/2009, you likely can not update via the Glovebox USB port. but, you can try if you want, mine is 6/2009 and it did work.
Do all the process, there is no risk that i am aware of by trying. To the best of MY knowledge, if the car is not compatible, the update will not be accepted. only if you get to the stage where the car asks for the activation code then buy it!

1) Open in WinRAR or other unarchiver
2) Extract large .img File (Size is just over 30g)
3) Open .img file with 7-Zip or 'mount' the img file if you are using mac
4) Extract the 1 file and 1 folder to the root of your 32GB(min) Fat32 Formatted USB flash Drive.
5) Install through the Glovebox USB Port, wait till it loads (about 1-2 minutes), click update and wait again till it asks for the code.
6) Enter the code you got from THE GUY
7) Eat a sandwich, Drink coffee or something like that....And come back after 45 minutes

You can do all of the above at your own responsibility! if something goes wrong go to the dealer and beg for help ;)

Need more 'info'??? let me know

Found a video of the process once the usb is inserted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDQzGKDtbXc#!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I bought the maps on memory stick at dealer for $45. I'll sell it for $35 shipped. I emailed illya and got the code in less than 15 minutes. PayPal him the money and over sent funds. He even returned the extra. Very nice and quick response!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello just wanted to share my experience with updating the Map from 2009 to 2013...

I own a 2009 750i (build is 6/2009)

After long search i found 'shawnsheridan' here on the forum he provided me with much useful information, followed his directions and referral for getting the 'Activation code' which would cost at least $250 at the dealer for ONLY $50, downloaded the usb 2013 north america map
now... i know the general rule is that only cars that were built after 9/2009 can do that it still worked for me on the very first try.
It took about 45 min for the update to complete (the car was running and everything audio, phone etc.. still worked beside the navigation)
Then i had a much needed fresh 2013 map since the 2009 had many mistakes with streets and freeway exits

Many thanks to shawnsheridan who took the time to explain and provide Excellent direction.

Here is how i did it:
if the build date of the your car is before 09/2009, you likely can not update via the Glovebox USB port. but, you can try if you want, mine is 6/2009 and it did work.
Do all the process, there is no risk that i am aware of by trying. To the best of MY knowledge, if the car is not compatible, the update will not be accepted. only if you get to the stage where the car asks for the activation code then buy it!

1) Open in WinRAR or other unarchiver
2) Extract large .img File (Size is just over 30g)
3) Open .img file with 7-Zip or 'mount' the img file if you are using mac
4) Extract the 1 file and 1 folder to the root of your 32GB(min) Fat32 Formatted USB flash Drive.
5) Install through the Glovebox USB Port, wait till it loads (about 1-2 minutes), click update and wait again till it asks for the code.
6) Enter the code you got from THE GUY
7) Eat a sandwich, Drink coffee or something like that....And come back after 45 minutes

You can do all of the above at your own responsibility! if something goes wrong go to the dealer and beg for help ;)

Need more 'info'??? let me know

Found a video of the process once the usb is inserted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tDQzGKDtbXc#!
Hello...just picked up a 2009 750 LI...could you send me the info on updating the Navigation!

Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
There is no need to pay for the maps. They are available for free download from long time members such as ShawnSheridan. You do need to buy the code for activation.

BTW, 2015-1 maps have been available for a while now. My 09 has the 2015 Premium map.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I didn't need the update for my 7 but thanks to the info here, I bought the code and downloaded the maps to update my 2011 335d. Followed the instructions and had no problems - now have the 2015 Premium maps. A couple of possible useful comments:

1. I used 3 x 16gb SD cards with an SD-USB converter. This saved me having to buy USB memory sticks (I have plenty of high capacity SD cards from my cameras). However space is tight so I used a USB extension cable so the converter could fit.
2. Uploading the maps to the system takes quite a while - enough to run the battery down if the engine isn't running. I did not want to idle the engine that long, so connected a 10 amp charger to the battery, worked like a charm.
3. Downloading the 4 map files, totaling about 16gb takes a while - make sure your power saving settings on the computer don't put the computer to sleep before the download completes. This happened to me on the first attempt, after setting up a simultaneous download of all 4 files, the system shut down after 15 gb but none of the files had completed. Had to do over :-(

201 - 220 of 230 Posts