BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm a BMW fanatic. K? Take this review through a filter considering that fact.

Drove my boss' 2009 A4 2.0T convertible this weekend. Some of my thoughts:

The Good

- Very nice dark blue color.
- 18" wheel S-line package is quite appealing
- power above 3200 rpm is decent-enough

The Bad

- The engine NVH is, plainly speaking, annoying as hell.
- Vibration at idle is annoying and sub-par for a $40kish car
- Low-end power is Saab-like (and that's no compliment) :thumbdwn:
- Interior isn't as good as I've heard - gaps between switches, poor ergonomics
- Slow top opening/closing
- radio cuts out when top is about 1/3 open, then it comes back on :confused:
- Radio sound quality is horrific. Yes, I said horrific. Annoying sound. "Are my ears bleeding" sound when you turn it up. It says "Audi symphony" on the radio. Even Audi couldn't bare to capitalize the word "symphony". Crap. Pure crap. Zero bass.
- Cowl shake is annoying. I guess it's part of the deal with a 'vert. Still sucks, though.

My wife summed it up succinctly when she did a quick grocery-store run:

Me: "what'd you think about that car?"
Her: "what a piece of sh!t"

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,642 Posts
I test drove a 2009 A4 2.0T Q manual, and was impressed.

NVH isn't bad. The engine is not as smooth as the 6 in the E90, but torque was instant.

Handling is not up to par as the E90, but it's 90 to 95% there. Braking is equivalent.

The stereo is not as good, but isn't bad either. My test car had the B&O stereo. I prefer the E90's L7, but the B&O isn't bad either.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
The vibration at idle: was it an automatic? They have a tendency to do that, my A4 did...and the get up and go factor was an issue as well, until the car was chipped, then that made a slight difference. No problems in the 335 :thumbup:

And Audi Symphony sound? Hmmm...they normally have Bose, but maybe you have to pay for it :dunno:

·
Htd Seats = 4-season vert
732 Posts
symphony is their base no-frills stereo. Don't expect much. (Surprised he sprang for a 'vert and didn't pony up the extra cash for something better.)

Next step up is Bose for most cars. Much better than symphony. And better bass.

Next step up after that is B&O for some cars. A complete bargain of an option if available, considering the cost of B&O home equipment.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
I test drove a 2009 A4 2.0T Q manual, and was impressed.
I think you guys are comparing different chassis. 2009 sedans are B8 with the newer TFSI engine, while 09 verts are B7 chassis with, IIRC, the older version of the 2.0T engine.

NVH is supposedly much improved, while hp/tq are both up significantly.

2009 for the A4 is like 2006 for the 3-series (sedans were E90 but coupes/verts were E46)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vibration at idle: was it an automatic? They have a tendency to do that, my A4 did...and the get up and go factor was an issue as well, until the car was chipped, then that made a slight difference. No problems in the 335 :thumbup:

And Audi Symphony sound? Hmmm...they normally have Bose, but maybe you have to pay for it :dunno:
Yep - it was an auto.

Overall, decent car, but about zero driving fun and involvement. Chalk some of that up to the convertible and automatic factor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts