BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 09 335i has been a bit of a problem lately. The water pump failed right before I went back to school and not being able to get one in before I needed to leave, I took my other car to school. So the 335 sat for a few months while I was at school and not being on a battery tender the battery died. I jumped it but the car would not start but would crank over very well. I found that my battery wasn't charging fully so I replaced it with a new AGM, installed it and still crank but no start. So I began to dive into it a bit and the following codes were present and remained after clearing:
  • 00A0B4 (Error Engine Starter Operation A0B4)
  • 002E85 (Electric Coolant Pump, Communication)
  • 002ACC (DME Main Relay, Switching Delay)
  • 002ACB (DME Main Relay Control)
So after doing some research, I pulled fuse 37 and found that it was intact but when tested with my volt meter it was only receiving .8 volts with the ignition on. I have spare relays that I know to be good so I also swapped the two relays in the glove box fuse panel and I replaced the black relay in my under hood/ECU compartment, though I was unable to locate K6300 to inspect it. Still cranks but does not start, and the codes return if cleared. What would be the next logical steps in fixing this issue? I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, I had more time to work on the car today and was able to get it running. I unplugged my DME and found slight water corrosion on the terminals and one pin was completely broken. I cleaned the connections and plugged it back in as there wasn't anything else I could do for it at the time. I then grounded pin one of connector X11010 and the car fired right up.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,129 Posts
... 09 335i... car would not start but would crank over very well... 2ACB (DME Main Relay Control)... pulled fuse 37 and found that it was intact but when tested with my volt meter it was only receiving .8 volts with the ignition on... I was unable to locate K6300 to inspect it. [After 3/2007, it's soldered to JB Fuse Panel circuit board (internal). Way to test (as you found ;-) is to apply "Chassis Ground" (backprobe) to X11010/1 (Pin #1 of Connector X11010 at upper-left of JB (Junction Box) Fuse Panel, and see if "Click" is heard/felt at upper-right of Panel, where K6300 is "hidden".] Still cranks but does not start, and the codes return if cleared...
... was able to get it running. I unplugged my DME and found slight water corrosion on the terminals and one pin was completely broken. [Almost Certainly X60005/13 (Pin #13 at DME Connector X60005, Red/Gray wire.] I cleaned the connections and plugged it back in as there wasn't anything else I could do for it at the time. I then grounded pin one of connector X11010 and the car fired right up.
There are several threads on this subject. TWO basic ways to get car operating when pin X60005/13 is broken:
1A) Remove DME, open it up, bridge connection to pin #13 to Pin #12 (adjacent), assuming Pin #12 is intact.
1B) Since Pin #12 is "Unused" (NOT connected to anything), you can then bridge sockets 12 & 13 in the X60005 Connector, and normal K6300 function (ON when Ignition turned on) should be restored. This should ONLY be done if you have confirmed that YOUR DME (MSD80, MSV80, etc.) is wired as described.
B) You can wire in a Chassis Ground Toggle Switch to X11010/1 and MANUALLY apply ground when "Contact" is desired. Don't forget to turn it off when remove Remote Key. ;)

Wiring diagram showing how X60005 supplies ground to K6300 Electromagnet to activate "KL87"/ Terminal 87/ K6300 and supply voltage to F37 and several others (depending on model) can be found in prior Threads on subject. If you can't find that info, please advise and we'll "Redo".
George

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response George,
Your other posts are what got me this far in the first place and I can’t thank you enough. That being said there’s a few things I’m looking at now. 1. Being a Oct 08 build, I was under the impression my DME was an MSD81 (I may be wrong in this assumption). 2. So I have chassis ground wired in full time at the moment and I’m guessing in this situation my DME is now on all the time as my water pump turns on wide open randomly. Obviously as you said, this isn’t a permanent fix but allowed me to move the car around the driveway. Lastly, I’m not 100% sure the pin that’s missing corresponds to the connector you listed. The pin that is corroded off is from the smaller DME connector, rather than the larger. It was my understanding the X6005 is the larger connector? Can you confirm which connector
is X6005? I’ve attached two pictures of the connector in question.
Thanks again,
Ross
Light Circuit component Gadget Finger Electronic component
Finger Office equipment Nickel Font Electronic component

1 - 6 of 6 Posts