BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me understand what am l looking at?

I know that there is supposed to be some tools and a first aid kit behind the left access panel (at least in the European cars), however, in my car, besides nothingness, there is some liquid at the bottom of the pan.

The liquid looks like either antifreeze or window washing liquid and it’s about an inch deep (no smell, no viscosity to it, just like water). It also looks like this liquid is actually supposed to be there, not just some accidental thing (or just maybe someone was transporting a jug of window washer in there and just spilled it???).

Thank you in advance for all the expert advice and comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you just recently purchased your x5- I'm 99% positive the liquid you're seeing is from when the vehicle was shampooed- soak it up with paper towels- let it air out by leaving the panel off-

Check back in a couple weeks- my guess is it'll be bone dry.

The color is from the soap in the shampoo machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, CainMatthews. You are correct, I have just got the X5 a week ago, and it was cleaned up and most probably shampooed. I'll dry it up tonight.

Thanks again for a speedy reply!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
yikes, put a wet/dry shop vac in there and suck it up pronto.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,619 Posts
And it is NOT supposed to be there. It suggests a blocked left driver's side rear sunroof gutter drain or a loose leaking liftgate bumper.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yikes! Surprised nothing got fried. A month ago, this much water on passenger side fried lift gate module. The module is a couple inches off ground, but water splashing around was enough to get water into module and corrode it. New module is $200.

I would highly recommend taking off battery compartment cover, as well as checking passenger side. Big chance there's water as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I dont have much in mine either, im thinking about mounting a small fire extinguisher in there just in case i need one.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ideally, fire extinguisher should be in an easily reachable location. What if the trunk is full of junk, or the tailgate is simply stuck?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I dont have much in mine either, im thinking about mounting a small fire extinguisher in there just in case i need one.
I have plenty in there: tire plug-stuff (compressor, kit), strap ropes, tie-downs, wrench kit, flashlight, nozzle adapter, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ideally, fire extinguisher should be in an easily reachable location. What if the trunk is full of junk, or the tailgate is simply stuck?
If your rear side is smashed in and your car is on fire then only one thing to do and get away and let the SOB burn :p
My trunk is never full of junk, just a blanket and an umbrella most of the time. I was thinking more so if i come upon an accident with fire and someone needs help getting out, i could attend. You never know what will happen so having one could come in handy.

My battery tray area is filled to the rim with essentials though, including a bottle jack :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
you guys should just build a custom frame and mount the extinguisher outside the car for max street cred:

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^^^ That was funny. In regards to the area behind the panel, how did that get so damn dirty. Mine look looks like the day it rolled off the line. Not even dust in there.

·
Nuclear engineer
19,619 Posts
I wash and clean the X5 weekly, during the liquid water season, that includes left and right rear electronics compartments and the spare well. The interior is vacuumed thoroughly and then I use a leaf blower on the inaccessible areas, including the electronics compartments. "Not even dust in there."

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yikes! Surprised nothing got fried. A month ago, this much water on passenger side fried lift gate module. The module is a couple inches off ground, but water splashing around was enough to get water into module and corrode it. New module is $200.

I would highly recommend taking off battery compartment cover, as well as checking passenger side. Big chance there's water as well.
Same exact thing happened to me!

I have played with cleaning the drains to no avail

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you, CainMatthews. You are correct, I have just got the X5 a week ago, and it was cleaned up and most probably shampooed. I'll dry it up tonight.

Thanks again for a speedy reply!
You're most welcome sir! The exact same thing happened to me when I bought my X5 in June- I freaked for a minute but I had an epiphany- I detailed cars as a teenager and still do my own vehicles- once I relaxed and put a lot of thought into it--- eureka- lazy detail shop crossed my mind. I'm glad I finally had an answer for someone this forum is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hope someone can help me understand what am l looking at?

I know that there is supposed to be some tools and a first aid kit behind the left access panel (at least in the European cars), however, in my car, besides nothingness, there is some liquid at the bottom of the pan.

The liquid looks like either antifreeze or window washing liquid and it's about an inch deep (no smell, no viscosity to it, just like water). It also looks like this liquid is actually supposed to be there, not just some accidental thing (or just maybe someone was transporting a jug of window washer in there and just spilled it???).

Thank you in advance for all the expert advice and comments.
Resurrecting an old thread , but I just discovered this compartment today.

Some wires and connectors at the top and a storage space below. What are those fuses/ wires inside this compartment ?
Can one use this space for storing accessories ?

·
Nuclear engineer
19,619 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts