BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just recently my car was diagnosed with a radiator leak and its very small and I have been topping regularly. the problem now is that the radiator fan is extremely loud and stays on while i drive it gives me high temp warning for short periods of time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey all, just recently my car was diagnosed with a radiator leak and its very small and I have been topping regularly. the problem now is that the radiator fan is extremely loud and stays on while i drive it gives me high temp warning for short periods of time.
Most probably a failed water pump, take it in and get it looked at before you do any damage. If it is the water pump go ahead and replace the thermostat alongside it.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Welcome.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are seeking with your post as there is no question. We know the car has an obvious issue with a critical component, yet you keep driving it at the risk of causing greater damage. Also if 209 represents your area code, you're in the Central Valley where it's routinely over 100 which would only bring more urgency to a cooling system issue. In my more sarcastic days I would have told you to just keep driving it. I've tried to be kinder lately, so instead I will advise you of something you should already know which is that if you keep driving it you're going to kill the engine - if it has not happened already. A cooling system leak needs immediate action, there is no such thing as a small leak with modern engines (BMW is no different than others these days.) Rant over.

The fan and dash warnings are likely due to topping off and not bleeding properly. You obviously need a new radiator and as stated your water pump may be shot as well. If you're asking for how to's on replacing those parts I would search you tube for BMW N52 radiator and water pump replacement. If you're asking for advice on where to take it, stay away from dealer and find an independent at bimrs.org. Double check any unknown independent shop listed with yelp rating, keeping in mind these guys have to deliver bad news and may get bad reviews from people who delay repairing and maintaining their cars with obvious signs of a major issue. Oh, wait...

Please come back with outcome, interested to know if it's just radiator and bleed or if there is more...

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Not sure how I ended with dup post... Sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts