1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

BMW X5 E70 XDrive 30dSE (2009) Mileage:15,000

I hope someone can help me.

I have noticed that my fuel consumption of my vehicle has gone up since I got it back from the garage. My car is using more fuel.

Before
Fuel 75 litres Mileage 280 - 290

The PAS pipe from pump to rack split and was replaced under warranty.

After
Fuel 75 litres Mileage 250 - 260

My driving style has remained the same, load in car is similar, routes pretty much the same, and I am using the same fuel as I have always done.
The garage have said that everything is OK and it is my driving habit. It cannot be down to the weather, as this occured in summer.
I have attached the data sheet for my vehicle.

Can some help me out as to what the probable cause/s could be?

Many Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sanjiv (London)

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Didn't you post this before, maybe at Xoutpost?

I think the conclusion was simply poor driving circumstances/habits. Frankly, if you're doing all city driving in the UK, you need to be driving a Mini or Fiat 500. These large SUV's are not made for hopping around the city, especially not in the UK where the roads are smaller than my driveway (by the way, I am British but live in the US, so I do have first hand experience).

I can go almost 600 miles on a tank of diesel and get around 25/26 MPG here, because the 35d is simply built to be the perfect highway cruiser.

Regardless if whether or not your X5 has an issue, you're in the wrong kind of car - I think that's you main issue aside from the minor deteriation in fuel economy. If you're consumption went from good to bad, that would be one thing, but going from awful to really awful probably won't generate much interest - just my two cents.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, it does not answer my concerns.
I know... and I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but the reality is this - regardless of any "change" since the car was at the dealer, you're getting crappy fuel economy because of the type of driving you're doing. No advice or response will fix that. We can all speculate on what might have caused the minor drop off in fuel economy, but frankly, your numbers are so dismal, I don't think it would really be meaningful.

Sorry I can't be of more help - perhaps someone more technically inclined than me can help - like Ard, Mike, Quack or one of those guys. Good luck.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Many thanks for your response. Unfortunately, it does not answer my concerns.
They replaced the Power Steering Hose, right? And you suspect they did something to change the fuel consumption? There is- on the basis of that singular task- any reason for this to change fuel consumption.

75l/290miles? That's 14.6 miles per gallon for us Yanks

75L per 250miles? That's 12.6 Miles per gallon

I'd be less concerned about the change and more concerned about the original mileage....

Let me know if the math is wrong.

·
Registered
958 Posts
No, the math is right. He posted on Xoutpost and got the same response...

The 35d just doesn't excel doing all city driving. Here is the proof.

IMO, a drop from 14 to 12 MPG is the least of his problems. I say sell the X5 and buy a Mini Cooper.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
How do you drive and get 12-14MPG? That's what I cannot understand.

OP- what is your AVERAGE SPEED over the course of that tank of fuel?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Very badly... It's London. He probably rarely goes over 20mph.

See link here to his post with more detail on Xoutpost:
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...2-2009-e70-diesel-fuel-consumption-issue.html

Edit: To save you the effort of a click, I was right - his average speed is 12.9 mph. Mine is in the 30's. It explains the poor fuel economy. I think his primary concern is why the drop from 14.6 mpg to 12.6 mpg.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I didn't realize the e70 could actually turn in a 12+ mpg! Granted he is in stop and go traffic, but still that is about half what I am getting in the Bay Area with mixed driving. Yes my avg. speed is 25+ mph . . . I didn't realize at the low end, it could drop this dramatically.

Tough to try and duplicate a 12+ mph average speed here . . . need to get into a two hour traffic snarl, know it is going to be a two hour one and remember to reset the onboard computer at the beginning of the two hour window.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I didn't realize the e70 could actually turn in a 12+ mpg! Granted he is in stop and go traffic, but still that is about half what I am getting in the Bay Area with mixed driving. Yes my avg. speed is 25+ mph . . . I didn't realize at the low end, it could drop this dramatically.

Tough to try and duplicate a 12+ mph average speed . . . need to get into a two hour traffic snarl, know it is going to be a two hour one and remember to reset the onboard computer at the beginning of the two hour window.
Welcome to London! :) One of many reasons I decided to move from the UK to the US several years ago. Traffic there is beyond miserable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.