BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to cars overall so i know nothing to how much everything cost. So i went to an auto service today to get a brake inspection.
They told Ima have to replace rotor caliper and brake pad and the sensors front and rear and it would cost $1600. Is that reasonable?
Front is around 900 rear is about 700
Parts and labour included

·
UsernameATF
20 Posts
You are getting ripped! Go online and find which brake pads and calipers are needed and order them yourself (always go oem) my opinion and find a reputable Indy shop it should run about 400$ at most to replace all 4 and the price of parts are up to you.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1470687132.657597.jpg

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
I replaced my front rotors and pads with kits from Bavauto for $176 + $25 shipping. Rear pads/rotors are similar in cost.

You can too.

If you need a caliper, NAPA Online lists them for the 2009 328i for about $85 each.

What do YOU think is the smart way to spend your money??

I'll bet your quote is from a dealer. Go to an indy shop that knows BMWs and you should cut that estimate in half or better.

Learn to DIY and you can do it for under $300, but you'll have to bleed the brakes after you replace the caliper. That's OK, you're probably due for a brake fluid change anyway.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I replaced my front rotors and pads with kits from Bavauto for $176 + $25 shipping. Rear pads/rotors are similar in cost.

You can too.

If you need a caliper, NAPA Online lists them for the 2009 328i for about $85 each.

What do YOU think is the smart way to spend your money??

I'll bet your quote is from a dealer. Go to an indy shop that knows BMWs and you should cut that estimate in half or better.

Learn to DIY and you can do it for under $300, but you'll have to bleed the brakes after you replace the caliper. That's OK, you're probably due for a brake fluid change anyway.
Though if you replace calipers you need to add brake fluid flush

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had all 4 rotors and pads replaced at an indy for just under $1,000. Not DIY cheap but half what OP was quoted. Oh I guess they did replace engine and cabin filter, too.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Good quality set (Zimmerman, Jurid/Texar) - pads/rotors/sensors will cost you close to $500 and this job can be done in about 2 hours.
You can get cheaper components but in brakes more often than elsewhere - you get what you pay for.
So good independent shop price would be less that $700. Anything over this is shops extra profit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called another one... parts they said would cost about $1000 for the front and rear.
For the brake pads, brake rotors, calipers, and the brake sensor.
I dont have any experience with DIY so Ill probably pay for someone else to do it.
I just wanna know if the cost of the parts is about right.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Why would you need calipers all around? Even if 1 was sticking the other 3 almost certainly are not. On 10 vehicles over 30 years and well over 1 million miles I have had to replace 1 caliper. Rotors and pads sure, even a brake fluid flush, but unless the caliper is damaged or stuck, no reason to replace.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Im new to cars overall so i know nothing to how much everything cost. So i went to an auto service today to get a brake inspection.
They told Ima have to replace rotor caliper and brake pad and the sensors front and rear and it would cost $1600. Is that reasonable?
Front is around 900 rear is about 700
Parts and labour included
What you were quoted (I doubt you need calipers) is in line with dealer service charges for parts and labor for front and rear, for pads + rotors + sensors for both front and rear including labor.

·
Registered
278 Posts
What a rip! Calipers?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts