BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '09 335xdrive coupe in September and love the car, but over the weekend the iDrive completely crashed, "Red" screen, couldn't control anything, kept rebooting every 30seconds.

I dropped it off this morning and BMW replaced the CIC (Computer Brain of the iDrive) but said i can't pair my Blackberry with the iDrive and that may have caused the problem... has anyone else come across this? I have never heard of a bluetooth crashing an entire system.

As a side note, BMW Westchester was very good about the whole thing, I just showed up at 6:30am when they opened, they took the car and gave me a loner without an appt and had it fixed (and washed) by 4pm

Thanks

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
There have been multiple reports of phones that are not approved by BMW causing problems with the bluetooth system. At both here and E90post there have been posters saying that there non-approved phone somehow corrupted the BMW bluetooth. However, I've not heard of anybody who had the entire CIC crash like you are describing and don't see how that would be possible.

In any case, Blackberry phones implement bluetooth in a very standard manner and their phones tend to play quite nicely with Idrive.

Which BB are you using? I've paired a Verizon Tour and a Tmobile 8700g with Idrive, and had zero troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using the Blackberry Tour, actually my BMW salesman programmed it for me when he delivered the car. I think they are just telling me not to use the phone because it is not BMW approved, I really can't imagine it caused the entire system to be replaced. Either way i just wanted to check with some people here before i paired it again.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I've had no prob with my tour paired to the car.

FYI, make sure you Blackberry Tour is running 4.7.1.61. There was a nasty bug in earlier version that screwed up bluetooth performance. To check what OS you are running, go to options>about.

If you need to upgrade, go to options>advanced options>wireless upgrade

·
Gentleman Extraordinaire
690 Posts
I did get that red screen about 2 weeks ago but it was for a second (I think it did some kind of update and restarted) but only took one sec and haven't had problems since. Also the Tour upgrade as kilgore mentioned may help too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Drive Crash due to Bluetooth

I had my I-drive crash after 3 years with the car. The dealer had just done a software upgrade and the "non-approved" phone that had worked fine before apparently fried the CCC. The dealer did replace it under warranty but warned me "non approved" phones use a particular Bluetooth program sequence that causes the CPU to go into a continuous reboot. This fries the CPU in short order. Symptoms may include intermittent problems with any function associated with the I_Drive including Heat/Air settings, auto headlamps, and SOS problems. The screen may not show that it is re-booting. Just because the phone and address book link up does not mean that some combination of functions on the I-Drive or phone won't trigger this problem. Also, "smart" phones automatically update software that may trigger the meltdown. Unfortunately BMW does not stay on top of the newest phones or updates so the "approved" phone are usually a couple of models behind the current availability.

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,353 Posts
With my Blackberry Curve I've had no trouble at all.

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I had my I-drive crash after 3 years with the car. The dealer had just done a software upgrade and the "non-approved" phone that had worked fine before apparently fried the CCC. The dealer did replace it under warranty but warned me "non approved" phones use a particular Bluetooth program sequence that causes the CPU to go into a continuous reboot. This fries the CPU in short order. Symptoms may include intermittent problems with any function associated with the I_Drive including Heat/Air settings, auto headlamps, and SOS problems. The screen may not show that it is re-booting. Just because the phone and address book link up does not mean that some combination of functions on the I-Drive or phone won't trigger this problem. Also, "smart" phones automatically update software that may trigger the meltdown. Unfortunately BMW does not stay on top of the newest phones or updates so the "approved" phone are usually a couple of models behind the current availability.
The idea that a "non-approved" phone can cause hardware damage is truly f'ed up. I've read this before, and I think there is something seriously wrong with the system if it is that vulnerable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Time to re-open this old thread. I'm experiencing the symptoms of the OP. BMW splash screen to red screen of death, back to splash, etc. Continuous boot up loop. Eventually the nav re-starts, only to go back to loop re-boot mode about a minute later. Bummer, because of course at that point no tunes, no nada. Great. Car came off 4/50 last September. Car has 47k on the odo. Electronics not covered under CPO, shocking.
Car is going in tomorrow for the battery cable recall. Related? Unlikely but stay tuned.......maybe I'll get lucky and this gremlin will go away when they re-start the car after the recall is performed.:rolleyes:
Oh, and I did the hard re-boot as per the owner's manual. No help. Any tricks or tips out there? No phone paired, no blue tooth option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.