BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leased a 2009 xDrive 30i E70 (I'm first owner) and its coming up on lease end in at the end of Jan 2012. Low miles (18k), has been trouble free, and lease payoff is $30k and similar used listings average about $40k. I've decided to buy it (finance) and will keep it for 3-4 more years and expect similar low miles.

Need help on strategy for lease turn in and timing of buying service/maintenance packages - Finance through BMW? Buy CPO or not? Extended warranty? Extended maintenance? There are multiple dealers to choose from so I expect competitive pricing. Has original tires and its time for new ones.

Ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Leased a 2009 xDrive 30i E70 (I'm first owner) and its coming up on lease end in at the end of Jan 2012. Low miles (18k), has been trouble free, and lease payoff is $30k and similar used listings average about $40k. I've decided to buy it (finance) and will keep it for 3-4 more years and expect similar low miles.

Need help on strategy for lease turn in and timing of buying service/maintenance packages - Finance through BMW? Buy CPO or not? Extended warranty? Extended maintenance? There are multiple dealers to choose from so I expect competitive pricing. Has original tires and its time for new ones.

Ideas?
You can always extend the warranty toward the end of original 4yr/50k miles.. anytime before that is reached, you can get it. SO just shop around and wait for 3 years and 9 months or so before buying

I think for the brake rotors and pads alone make up the cost of the warranty... But again, you dont drive much... I am in the same boat.. about to lease x5 50i and i put like 5-8k a year

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
1. A 'warranty" will NOT get you brakes! Know the difference between maintenance plan and warranty.

2. Only victims who cannot figure out how to NOT go to a dealer to get raped on maintenance would think that the 'maintenance plan is a good deal'

3. OP, you may get brakes prior to the 4/50 expiration...and if so, you drive so little you will not need brakes prior to the extended maintenance plan expiring. Plot out what you need, what was done, and then decide. SO many people spend $2000 for 3 oil changes, a few filters, wiper blades and a brake flush...

4. "Extending the warranty" will cost $3500...or you can get a dealer to CPO the car as part of the 'purchase from lease'... the price to a BMW dealer for the "CPO warranty" (which gives you a "Gold" plan warranty) is about $2k

5. keep in mind that sometimes the dealer pays less- sometimes much less- than the stated residual/purchase price.

See if a dealer can CPO it, and do the deal for the residual deal..the cpo should only cost them $2000. Do keep in mind that brakes and tires must be over 50%, so you may need to pay for tires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. A 'warranty" will NOT get you brakes! Know the difference between maintenance plan and warranty.

2. Only victims who cannot figure out how to NOT go to a dealer to get raped on maintenance would think that the 'maintenance plan is a good deal'

3. OP, you may get brakes prior to the 4/50 expiration...and if so, you drive so little you will not need brakes prior to the extended maintenance plan expiring. Plot out what you need, what was done, and then decide. SO many people spend $2000 for 3 oil changes, a few filters, wiper blades and a brake flush...

4. "Extending the warranty" will cost $3500...or you can get a dealer to CPO the car as part of the 'purchase from lease'... the price to a BMW dealer for the "CPO warranty" (which gives you a "Gold" plan warranty) is about $2k

5. keep in mind that sometimes the dealer pays less- sometimes much less- than the stated residual/purchase price.

See if a dealer can CPO it, and do the deal for the residual deal..the cpo should only cost them $2000. Do keep in mind that brakes and tires must be over 50%, so you may need to pay for tires.
Thats what i meant.. Warranty wont do crap for replacing brake parts.. i meant maintenance... so yes.. make sure you get the dealer to do complete brake job before your original ones wear out... I personally dont think extended maintenance is worth it unless you were in my position where my E46 M3 needed service II after 4 years has been up and it needed valve adjustment and etc... so at that time, extended maintenance was worth it (I only paid $1200 back in 2007.. then they raised the fee since they knew they were losing money to M cars)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Try to run the money through BMWFS, as they may be aggressive.

Go with CPO, your dealer can do it.

No extended maintenance coverage. Waste of money.

You will likely have to buy new tires before the CPO.

- Mike

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,139 Posts
Man
words
few

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts