BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· BMW Driver
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am currently leasing a 2009 X5 3.0i. I am seeking a comparison between the 2009 and a 2013 model, that will give me a bit more insight as to what features I will be gaining or loosing with a newer model. My lease is up in about two months so I am approaching the time where I have to order a car.

I am also considering a diesel model.

I am pretty much seeking advise about the features between my 2009 and a newer X5. I would also like to hear about the differences regarding the gas vs. diesel models.

One more thing that was unclear to me is the difference between the basic X5 model and the Premium. If someone has a list of differences that would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Nick

· Registered
412 Posts
Read some of the threads over the past few months and you will find extended comparisons/ jousts/ debates and declarations of war comparing the 35d and the 35i. As to the 09 vs the 13 gas, the main differences are the turbo motor and the 8-speed. These are very substantial, transformative changes and make the 35i phenomenal in my view, whereas the 09 was merely very good. The 35d is as excellent in its own way, but would be better--and maybe better than the 35i--- with the 8-speed trans, likely coming in the '14 '35d.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
The 6 spd of the 35d is the star of the show. The 8 spd in the 35i shifts slightly smoother (the 6spd is surprisingly smooth) but the throttle lag/delay that is causes from a standstill is incredibly annoying.

· Registered
412 Posts
The 6 spd of the 35d is the star of the show. The 8 spd in the 35i shifts slightly smoother (the 6spd is surprisingly smooth) but the throttle lag/delay that is causes from a standstill is incredibly annoying.
I have 11k on my 35i and disagree with you about lag/ delay. Occasionally on first use there is a slight tendency to that, but it is insignificant on my 35i and it goes away immediately. The 8 speed is very well done in every respect, and in manual it is a joy. I note that you don't own a 35i, so possibly your experience base is narrow. What you allude to might be more likely on a car which has sat unused for a while, like on a dealer's lot. Or, perhaps it depends on throttle technique to some degree. Or, maybe I just bought a good one. Or, maybe I am obtuse.:eeps:

· BMW Driver
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!

I was looking more for differences in features, between the cars. I know the Diesel vs Gas has been a long debated topic even on the 3er section of the forum(spend most of my time there).

Can anyone provide a link to a list with the differences between the base X5 and the Premium(gas engine). I wasn't able to find one from searching.

Thank you

· Registered
624 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I was looking more for differences in features, between the cars. I know the Diesel vs Gas has been a long debated topic even on the 3er section of the forum(spend most of my time there).

Can anyone provide a link to a list with the differences between the base X5 and the Premium(gas engine). I wasn't able to find one from searching.

Thank you
This help? http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2013/X5/xDrive35i/Features_and_Specs/DOT.aspx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.