BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
zibawala - the 5er GT will be the first application of the N55B30 (single turbo inline 6 evolution of the N54 motor). I would suspect the 5er, 3er and 1er will eventually have the N55B30 - if they will get an inline 6 at all - since there is a fuel economy gain. The most significant difference between the 135i motor (N54B30) and the N55B30 is the fact that Valvetronic has been added into the cylinder head.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
zibawala - the 5er GT will be the first application of the N55B30 (single turbo inline 6 evolution of the N54 motor). I would suspect the 5er, 3er and 1er will eventually have the N55B30 - if they will get an inline 6 at all - since there is a fuel economy gain. The most significant difference between the 135i motor (N54B30) and the N55B30 is the fact that Valvetronic has been added into the cylinder head.
The 1 series will not get the N55 this go around (body style). Not all models will transition to the N55- the best example I can give is that the X3 never received a motor upgrade, and the X5 still has the N52 non-turbo (will get the N55 at the LCI) and NA V8. The N54 is here to stay for some time.

BMW launches new motors in new models first then trickles down. First will be the 5 Series then X5, the 3 will see it in 2012. There are some changes coming but not that soon....

The 4 cylinders will come in the next 1 Series and in the X1- along with new diesels.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys go read november bmwcc roundel mag, it confirms 335i coupe convertible, face lift this spring with single turbo still 300hp motor! better dynamics or fuel efficiency? I dont know

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
guys go read november bmwcc roundel mag, it confirms 335i coupe convertible, face lift this spring with single turbo still 300hp motor! better dynamics or fuel efficiency? I dont know
No thanks... they also say that the 5er will debut in 2011. It will be debuting in less than 2 weeks. They confirm nothing and now have a tendency to borrow from other's news, take my word on that.

They are talking about the N55 and like I said before (from my sources) the first US cars to get it will be the 5 GT (which is not built on the 5 chassis) the F10 535i, and the X5 facelift. BMW will NOT split engines in a series for the US so if the coupe is to get it so is the sedan. The N55 will NOT be replacing the N54 all at once and they are not at full production on it. The twin turbo N54 will get a performance bump before it is gone and that has not happened yet for the 3. The X6 just received it with 7RR and so will the 1 and 3 (though that date is floating right now...) I expect it for the next LCI in the 3 and as a 2011 in the 1. There is also a significant investment in the BMW Performance line that has occurred with R&D so don't expect them to waste that by changing motors so soon after product launch.

The N55 uses a dual scroll single turbo and some other fancy stuff- it produces less torque but it comes on lower, gets better emission b/c valvetonic as well as better response. You will hear more about this motor very soon when the 5 series info comes out the week of Thanksgiving.... right now expect a lot of the 5 GT to lead into the new F10 5.

·
Registered
388 Posts
No thanks... they also say that the 5er will debut in 2011. It will be debuting in less than 2 weeks. They confirm nothing and now have a tendency to borrow from other's news, take my word on that.

They are talking about the N55 and like I said before (from my sources) the first US cars to get it will be the 5 GT (which is not built on the 5 chassis) the F10 535i, and the X5 facelift. BMW will NOT split engines in a series for the US so if the coupe is to get it so is the sedan. The N55 will NOT be replacing the N54 all at once and they are not at full production on it. The twin turbo N54 will get a performance bump before it is gone and that has not happened yet for the 3. The X6 just received it with 7RR and so will the 1 and 3 (though that date is floating right now...) I expect it for the next LCI in the 3 and as a 2011 in the 1. There is also a significant investment in the BMW Performance line that has occurred with R&D so don't expect them to waste that by changing motors so soon after product launch.

The N55 uses a dual scroll single turbo and some other fancy stuff- it produces less torque but it comes on lower, gets better emission b/c valvetonic as well as better response. You will hear more about this motor very soon when the 5 series info comes out the week of Thanksgiving.... right now expect a lot of the 5 GT to lead into the new F10 5.
Wow, where do you get your information from? Your post sounds very authoritative. Do you have an inside source or something?

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
The 1 series will not get the N55 this go around (body style). Not all models will transition to the N55- the best example I can give is that the X3 never received a motor upgrade, and the X5 still has the N52 non-turbo (will get the N55 at the LCI) and NA V8. The N54 is here to stay for some time.

BMW launches new motors in new models first then trickles down. First will be the 5 Series then X5, the 3 will see it in 2012. There are some changes coming but not that soon....

The 4 cylinders will come in the next 1 Series and in the X1- along with new diesels.
mapezzul, both the X3 and the X5 did receive motor upgrades. They both received the N52 in MY2007, where they previously had the M54.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
mapezzul, both the X3 and the X5 did receive motor upgrades. They both received the N52 in MY2007, where they previously had the M54.
Yes they did, along with the 5 Series (2006) but they never saw the N54 (I should have been more specific). Everything I hear is that certain cars will not get the N55. I could be wrong but when I have my trusted people telling me things over and over again without any "maybes" I have no reason to think otherwise. I will try to find out more this week and report back.

Wow, where do you get your information from? Your post sounds very authoritative. Do you have an inside source or something?
I have a variety of sources, that is all I can say b/c if I say more I will get banned from this site...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,826 Posts
I have a variety of sources, that is all I can say b/c if I say more I will get banned from this site...
mapezzul, not to hijack this thread, but what are you hearing about the Z2? And is it pretty much 100% that we're getting the X1 for MY2011? Thanks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes they did, along with the 5 Series (2006) but they never saw the N54 (I should have been more specific). Everything I hear is that certain cars will not get the N55. I could be wrong but when I have my trusted people telling me things over and over again without any "maybes" I have no reason to think otherwise. I will try to find out more this week and report back.

It will be hugely appreciated. my e92 is coming off of lease Jan first, i can order for april and extend my lease!

·
Registered
91 Posts
As much as we've been hearing about and waiting for the N54 performance upgtade, it still hasn't reached the US and I'm beginning to doubt BMW will go further with it because of the HPFP issues. The original US release date was supposed to have been July 09, but that didn't happen. The various people from BMW dealerships I have spoken to either think it still might be coming or that BMW engineering has cancelled it. I would love to get it and it seems to be available in Europe (through parts departments), but the longer it's missing the more I suspect it will be one of those small volume Europe-only performance models that we can only read about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts