BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obviously apps functionality came out after I got my 2010 335. But I am so in love with the way the apps come across. someone mentioned that you can actually purchase a software upgrade to your idrive navi that will enable apps ... I called my dealership and they said no. I this true? I can't find anything specific about it in the forum. Also the iphone 4 cradle - will I need that for APPs to work, if indeed I am able to upgrade my idrive softward. I appreciate your comments. Alex.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
obviously apps functionality came out after I got my 2010 335. But I am so in love with the way the apps come across. someone mentioned that you can actually purchase a software upgrade to your idrive navi that will enable apps ... I called my dealership and they said no. I this true? I can't find anything specific about it in the forum. Also the iphone 4 cradle - will I need that for APPs to work, if indeed I am able to upgrade my idrive softward. I appreciate your comments. Alex.
Yup. BMW is definitely not a software company....upgrades for older models not a thing they're in business to do....

· Registered
8,402 Posts
Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for pricing details on how to install BMW Apps in your iDrive. Software and hardware install required.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
That is just one of the realities of onboard systems. They'll always be new features in the next model year and there often isn't an easy upgrade path.

That's true of a lot of other gizmos we buy in our lives. For example, Motorola came out with the Droid 4 only a few months after I purchased my Droid 3. They also announced they would not update to the new versions of Android. So, I'm stuck in contract on a phone that is behind the times.

Of course, the big diff between iDrive and my phone is that iDrive is a far more significant commitment in terms of $.

That may change down the road as the philosophy that companies might move with is having hardware be less of an issue and the main component be upgrades via software.

My way of looking at this is that there is a big difference between "not having the latest features" and "obsolete." Look it like the six speed AT. Sure, the newer trannys have more speeds, offer better fuel economy, etc. However, that doesn't mean the AT in your current vehicle no longer functions or does what you need.

· Registered
17 Posts
How far back can Bmer go? Wouldn't mind the app start ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.