BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had the moonroof refuse to remain shut? Just as it reaches the closed position, it immediately and automatically retracts to the half-open position as if there's something obstructing it. The best I can do is to manually stop it just short of the fully closed position. I've stood outside and watched it slide; and, there's nothing obstructing it.

This vehicle is 2 weeks old. This is my 4th 5-series in a row, and I've never encountered this problem before.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2010 528 also and haven't encountered that problem. It sounds like a sensor may be malfunctioning or maybe there is a problem with the switch.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I say your best bet is let BMW take a look at that. The car is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I had to hold the switch in the "close" position until it was fully closed. Took it to the dealer and they "re-initialized" it.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
On my 2007 525i this happened all the time, but since I was about to return it after lease, I didn't bother worrying about it.
On my new 2010 535i it happened once and never after that. If it happens again I will be taking it in to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Have not seen this on my 2010 535xi, but it happened to me once on my 2003 VW Passat. The problem was that the little metal flap that sticks up a little when the moonroof opens - it's a mini wind deflector at the very front of the slider tracks - was stuck and would obstruct the roof as it reached the last few inches. Normally that flap is spring loaded, but the spring was stuck. I pushed the flap up and down a few times by hand and it stopped sticking and all was well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had the exact same problem w/ my 2009 535 (about 1 week after I took delivery)... Basically, the fix was that the sunroof needed to be re-initialized by the dealer... In fact, I bet you can google how to do it and just do it your self. I watched them do it, all they did was a number of actions with the button that you use to open/close the sunroof to re-initialize it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had that problem recently on my 06 550 and I brought it to BMW and it turned out to be my battery cable in the BACK of my car was loose and was shorting different sensors and giving me all types of control messages. Since that fix I have not had any problems what so ever. Hope this helps

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had that problem too. you can shut it manually.
pop the panel where the switch is with a flat screwdriver. it comes right off.
you will see an allenwrench hole size 4 that you can close or open with , the wrench should be in your trunk. its in the manual:thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having the same problem since the seal was replaced due to excessive wind noise. I was hoping it would "wear in". Guess not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2008 535xi and the moonroof was in up position. If i tried to close it, it would close half way and go back to up position. It looked like something was in its way. I tried many times and gave up. Anyways It was about 20 degrees outside and my car had been sitting outside in cold for about 6 hours. Didn't think temperature would play a role in it. So I parked my car in garage. My garage is temperature controlled. I keep it about 50 degrees so it melts all the ice and snow during the winter...Anyways... I decided to go back to my car after one hour and tried to close the moonroof. Guess what! It working just fine.

Now I am wondering.. Did temperature really play a role here? I mean we all know metals react to temperature. It was 48 during the day and by the time I got back to the car at night, it was 20 degrees not counting the wind chill.

thoughts??

·
Registered
199 Posts
My '08 535xi did something similar from the "up" position, when I'd try to close it it'd go down and then right back up. I was able to get my fingers to the edge and pull it down while it come closing and it'd close for good. Problem went away on its own after a week or so.

·
U of Dawgs
2,438 Posts
The Dealer re-initialized my sunroof and it took care of the problem.
That would really suck if you live 100 miles from the dealer... especially if you find out later that all they did was push the switch and hold it there for a few seconds.... :angel:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts