BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I’m the owner of a newly acquired 535i with 111k miles that was well cared for in its previous ownership. The car is covered in Space Grey Metallic paint (A52), black Dakota leather interior, and sport automatic transmission.

Though I’m extremely excited to own this LCI E60, I’m not new to BMW, nor is this my first E60. I’ve had the pleasure of owning several E30s, E39s, and an early model M54 E60.

The plan for this build is to make this high-mileage N54 extremely reliable for daily driving duties while retaining it’s OEM nature by using quality parts and tasteful modifications. Moderate performance mods to follow: stage 1+ tune and some bolt ons.

The car itself is well equipped with nearly every option available from the factory except for night vision, lane keep assist, and heated steering.

The car has the factory m-sport option only available on 2010 models (suspension, aero, m dead pedal, anthracite headliner, steering wheel, and m door sills), comfort access, premium package, heads up display, comfort seats, lighting package, logic 7 audio, PDC, sport auto transmission, style M135 wheels, CIC iDrive with aux/usb input, dynamic drive, heated seats.

Interior pics to come later

The car has extensive maintenance history with records going back since 1,000 miles. The car’s HPFP was replaced 4 times (3x under warranty). Recent service history completed during previous ownership include:

Oil filter housing gaskets @ 111K
Walnut blast @ 107K
Thermostat/WP @ 99K
Index 12 injectors @ 97K
Spark plugs @ 97K (coils weren’t done)
High pressure fuel pump @ 97K
Valve cover and gasket @ 83K

Known flaws at purchase include:
  • small chips on the passenger rear door
  • front and rear windshield seals are rotting
  • thrust arm bushings are shot
  • brake and power steering fluid needs to be flushed
  • aftermarket battery installed in May, wasn’t coded/registered

For addressing current issues and preventative maintenance, here is what I have planned:

• new OE power steering reservoir and fluid
  • new drive belt, pulleys, and tensioner
  • upgraded PCV valve
  • upgraded coolant inlet flange (aluminum)
  • expansion tank replacement
  • new engine air filter
  • new cabin air filters
  • upper and lower radiator hose replacement
  • front and rear windshield seal replacement
  • 6HP19 automatic transmission service (filter, pan, hardware, valve body sleeves, shift solenoids)
  • note: will do plugs and coils once current coils fail, or before performance mods
  • VANOS solenoids (should I leave these alone or replace as PM?)

Planned modifications and upgrades:

Exterior
  • 3M Ceramic IR tint 35 all around
  • LUX H8 Angel Eyes
  • OEM style trunk lid spoiler
  • Paint-matched front bumper reflectors
  • Rear-axle wheel spacers (15mm)
  • Chrome/amber turn signal bulbs
  • Style 135 wheel refurbishment w/ new tires (TBD)

Interior
  • BimmerTech MMI prime CarPlay retrofit
  • Integrated rear view camera/trunk handle
  • Red start/stop engine button
  • Wireless charger retrofit

Performance (tentative)
  • MHD Stage1+ OTS tune
  • 1 step colder plugs (with new OEM coils)
  • BMS dual cone intake
  • BMS charge pipe
  • Forge diverter valves
  • 5” intercooler (TBD)

Undecided/considering
  • Hamann style CF front-lip
  • Some type of cat-back or axle back exhaust
  • Style 166 or other OEM 19” wheels

Let me know if there is anything I missed re: maintenance or have suggestions for mods/upgrades.

JP

·
Registered
96 Posts
Needs lowered.

jk - congrats on the new ride! Looks nice already and seems like you have a solid plan to "make it yours". Keep us posted on your progress.

What are you considering for the wireless charging retrofit?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Needs lowered.

jk - congrats on the new ride! Looks nice already and seems like you have a solid plan to "make it yours". Keep us posted on your progress.

What are you considering for the wireless charging retrofit?
Haha thank you! Will do.

There is a write up on another forum but my center console isn’t equipped with the phone cradle.

It uses the F30 wireless charger to make it an OEM retrofit

Here’s another video of the same type of retrofit by a different owner:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Negative on the spacers. Go with the 19" instead.
For the diverter valves, you don't need them, but if you do, you'll need to pull before CA smog along with the dual cone. (Dual cone is prob not in your best interest either).

Intercooler is a must BTW. Even before the stage 1 tune. Since you have an auto, an IC that fits w/cooler bracket will be difficult to find. If PSP still makes them, they're fantastic

One issue I foresee is worn suspension. I've had an MTech 550i and sport 535i and imo, 60k is when it's toast. New joints and bushings and coilovers would be ideal

Nice ride though. Looks clean

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Once you fill the gaps with those 166's, you won't need to lower it anymore. You're going to love that car...and then hate it a little bit...then remember why you bought it and love it even more. My guess is that MHD on stock turbos will either eventually wear then out, or only prove that you want more power. So, you may want inlets. Next thing you know...you're planning for a turbo upgrade. Enjoy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Negative on the spacers. Go with the 19" instead.
For the diverter valves, you don't need them, but if you do, you'll need to pull before CA smog along with the dual cone. (Dual cone is prob not in your best interest either).

Intercooler is a must BTW. Even before the stage 1 tune. Since you have an auto, an IC that fits w/cooler bracket will be difficult to find. If PSP still makes them, they're fantastic

One issue I foresee is worn suspension. I've had an MTech 550i and sport 535i and imo, 60k is when it's toast. New joints and bushings and coilovers would be ideal

Nice ride though. Looks clean
Thanks for the tips. May go with spacers for the time being until I find the right set of 166. I know DCI is a polarizing topic… BMS has an EO that is carb approved. Do they actually provide any performance gains or are they just “hot air intakes”?

Will aluminum aftermarket charge pipe with stock DVs pass visual for CA smog?

I didn’t even think about the intercooler fitment for e60 being different for auto vs manual. I know the 135/335 applications need brackets but will I need to find something specific for the AT?

All ball joints and bushings look to be in good shape except for the front thrust arms. Will be changing those out soon. I want to retain the OEM m sport suspension set up — when my shocks need replacing, I’ll probably refresh all of the other arms/joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once you fill the gaps with those 166's, you won't need to lower it anymore. You're going to love that car...and then hate it a little bit...then remember why you bought it and love it even more. My guess is that MHD on stock turbos will either eventually wear then out, or only prove that you want more power. So, you may want inlets. Next thing you know...you're planning for a turbo upgrade. Enjoy.
For sure on the 166. Just need to find a set for a decent price (plus refurbishing).

The car needs to be reliable so I’m not chasing crazy power (yet). I’d be happy with 300-340rwhp — is this doable with what I have planned? Stock turbos can handle this without issue too?

If my turbos went out… I’d be upgrading for sure. Will do inlets then since it sounds like they’re a pain to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Quick update:

Coming from an E39, I can’t believe this car actually has functional cup holders… I’m seriously surprised how well they work!

Got the BimmerTech MMI in the mail with the integrated rear view camera. The install wasn’t that bad, but it was time consuming.

The center stack, center console, and glove box all need to come out… my hands are busted but it was worth it to get CarPlay working (wirelessly!).

The rear view camera still isn’t working but I’ve been working with BimmerTech support to troubleshoot. They’ve been great to work with.

Routing the wires for the trunk handle

Installed — looks as if it came that way from the factory

Quick and simple before and after w/ red start stop engine button. Will be keeping all original parts to revert back to stock if I ever sell.

I bought a pre-painted OEM style spoiler online but am not satisfied with the paint match during a test fit. I will be selling this and opting for a CF version

Found a set of Style 95s locally. Will need some curb rash repair and new tires but I may be able to ride on these through the rest of the summer. The paint/clear coat is in good condition otherwise.

Current tire specs are 245/45/19, 275/40/19 — hoping they fit!

Lastly, got an MHD wifi adapter so I can connect to BimmerCode (and flash maps in the future) but I’ve been having a hard time connecting — getting unable to join errors. Any ideas?

I have a bunch of boxes and parts from FCP Euro to sort through including thrust arms, fluids (oil, brake, steering), pulley/belt kit, coolant system expansion tank/hoses, Mickey Mouse flange, filters, etc.

I will be tackling those things slowly due to lack of time but will update here once I do!

·
Registered
96 Posts
For the MHD dongle, have you tried going into airplane mode and just turning on wifi? I don't recall if I have had trouble connecting, but I usually connect after disabling other antennae since that is recommended for coding anyway... Just a thought.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the MHD dongle, have you tried going into airplane mode and just turning on wifi? I don't recall if I have had trouble connecting, but I usually connect after disabling other antennae since that is recommended for coding anyway... Just a thought.
Thanks! I ended up getting it to work. There were a lot of wifi networks in range that may have interfered with the adapter’s signal. I drove to someplace else and was able to connect!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Another quick update:

Previous owner had a faulty PDC sensor and replaced with an unpainted OEM Vaico unit. I found a A52 Space Grey used one on eBay for replacement

There were no record of cabin air filters ever being done so I. Went w/ the Corteco “micronair” blue which is supposedly charcoal activated and also filters out viral aerosol particles. Old filter, and top of new filter.

Rear glass seal was crumbling and has failed completely. This was a mess to remove and the soft rubber pieces fused to my driveway in the heat. Such a pain to clean! The new seal is a nice detail that makes the car look new again. Excuse the dirty glass/paint.

Front windshield seal done

Just did an oil change even though the previous owner’s record shows that it only had 2,000 miles since last oil change… the only issue is that it was over 6 years ago!! He barely drove the car. In fact, he only drove it 14,000 miles in 7 years.

Anyway, I took a sample to send off to Blackstone for analysis and to have a baseline.

The PPI said there were no apparent oil leaks which made sense to me since the VC/VCG and OFHG were done recently. The tech said the pan gasket wasn’t leaking so I was surprised to see this when I opened the service panel to change oil

It actually looks decent around the pan and the leak seems to be coming from the drain bolt. It had a crush washer upon removal but maybe it wasn’t replaced during the last oil change…

I cleaned up the area and installed a new drain plug/crush washer. After starting the car and checking again, no leaks!

Next is the upper windshield seal, power steering fluid/reservoir, brake fluid flush, engine air filter, and front thrust arms.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exciting stuff! I'll be watching the power steering fluid part closely, I changed the fluid on mine but didn't realize the reservoir also has a filter in it.
Haven’t had the time to do this, but will update when I do!

Another quick update:

Snapped some pics of my car with the Style 135s before I replace them for Style 95s. I still like how they look but I think these cars need 19s or bigger

I’ve been troubleshooting my rear view camera from BimmerTech. Their support and service has been phenomenal thus far. Highly recommend them if you’re looking for an E Series retrofit for CarPlay or backup camera.

I’m deciding to keep the stock airbox so I just changed out the paper filter with a brand new Mahle filter from FCP Euro. Old one was dirty but not too bad. Didn’t have any brand name or date code.

I finally wrapped these style 95s in some fresh rubber. Went with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I had these on my E39 and loved them.

I had to do a bunch of research to make sure they fit. This is what I went with:

Front, 245/35/19
Rear, 285/30/19

I also installed 4 new OEM TPMS and reset/sync’d via iDrive

I love the way they look! They have some rash so I will get that repaired, but from 5 feet they look mint.

Lastly, I’m selling the 135M wheels. Let me know if you’re interested via PM

·
Registered
2009 550i
625 Posts
Haven’t had the time to do this, but will update when I do!

Another quick update:

Snapped some pics of my car with the Style 135s before I replace them for Style 95s. I still like how they look but I think these cars need 19s or bigger

I’ve been troubleshooting my rear view camera from BimmerTech. Their support and service has been phenomenal thus far. Highly recommend them if you’re looking for an E Series retrofit for CarPlay or backup camera.

I’m deciding to keep the stock airbox so I just changed out the paper filter with a brand new Mahle filter from FCP Euro. Old one was dirty but not too bad. Didn’t have any brand name or date code.

I finally wrapped these style 95s in some fresh rubber. Went with Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s. I had these on my E39 and loved them.

I had to do a bunch of research to make sure they fit. This is what I went with:

Front, 245/35/19
Rear, 285/30/19

I also installed 4 new OEM TPMS and reset/sync’d via iDrive

I love the way they look! They have some rash so I will get that repaired, but from 5 feet they look mint.

Lastly, I’m selling the 135M wheels. Let me know if you’re interested via PM
The Style 95's look great.......did you end up using spacers with them? Could you take a couple of photos from the front and rear showing the wheel tuck?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Style 95's look great.......did you end up using spacers with them? Could you take a couple of photos from the front and rear showing the wheel tuck?
I agree! And thank you for your help on tire recs in the other thread. Went with the 285 rears and I’m happy about it.

Did not use any spacers but I think I could if I wanted to push the wheels out a bit further. On the fronts if anything.

Here are some pics:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts