BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2010 535i w/Sports Package and Dunlop run flat tires. It has 10,500+ miles on it. Had rear left tire flat last night. Drove about 15 miles using the flat tire. Call roadside assistance to put the spare on after reaching home. Took the tire for repair today, but technician said the cut is big and can't be repaired.

So I have a few questions regarding tire replacement that I couldn't find answer for by searching previous posts.

1. Should I replace just the damaged tire or both rear tires or all four tires? I ask since I am not sure if replacing one or two will cause any kind of imbalance due to different tread.

2. I am thinking of buying non-run flat all season tires ... may be Michelin. Can you recommend any specific model of Michelin or any other brand / model?

3. Should I get it from Costco or some other tire dealer in the San Francisco bay area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
At 10k miles, the tire would probably be significantly worn. If you were going to replace the tires with non RFT's I'd replace all 4. If you were going to replace the tires with RFT's then I would replace the tires on the same axle. I wouldn't replace just the tire that received the damage - but you could, I guess.

But before you decide, I'd price out non RFT's vs two RFT's. Personally I never had much trouble with the RFT's on my e90 and e92. However after I switched to "normal" tires, the steering became light. Not sure if it would be the same if you switched to "normal" tires on the e60. My current e60 is an '08 and came with "normal" tires.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
As for all season tires - there are plenty of choices but for high performance all season tires, the current top pics are the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Check on tirerack.com for the tires - they have great reviews, prices and local installers. Regardless of where you buy the tire make sure to ask for road force balancing - which balances the tire at speed.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1. Should I replace just the damaged tire or both rear tires or all four tires? I ask since I am not sure if replacing one or two will cause any kind of imbalance due to different tread.

2. I am thinking of buying non-run flat all season tires ... may be Michelin. Can you recommend any specific model of Michelin or any other brand / model?

3. Should I get it from Costco or some other tire dealer in the San Francisco bay area?

Thanks.
Do not mix runflats with nonrunflats. Completely different dynamics.

What % tread do you have left on your three good tires? If a lot, I'd replace the busted tire with an eBay buy of comparable remaining treadlife. Once they're all worn, then I'd get the nonrunflat replacements.

Have you seen how much those things are new??? You don't want to throw out 3 good tires.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks.

I am going to check the amount of tread left and decide based on that. If RFTs are mostly worn out, will change all 4 to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S non-RFT.

Reminder to self: you are driving on a spare tire, keep it below 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My rear runflat Dunlops are getting bald. My front two have 50% tread left. So I just bought two 50% rears on eBay. Delivered it was $160. My mechanic will install for $15 ea, so for $190 I save the life of my front tires. Those suckers are $400 apiece!

When they all go, I'm getting regular summer tires.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My rear runflat Dunlops are getting bald. My front two have 50% tread left. So I just bought two 50% rears on eBay. Delivered it was $160. My mechanic will install for $15 ea, so for $190 I save the life of my front tires. Those suckers are $400 apiece!

When they all go, I'm getting regular summer tires.
Me too. Looking forward to regular tires. How long do you think your Dunlops will last you?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Me too. Looking forward to regular tires. How long do you think your Dunlops will last you?
My rear Dunlop RFT's only lasted about 20K miles. I replaced all four with Bridgestone Potenza AS960 Pole Position non-RFT's. I must say I had an '09 535i Sport loaner yesterday with Dunlop RFT's and I loved it. I may go back to RFT's someday, but my Bridgestone non-RFT's are guaranteed for 40K miles.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My rear Dunlop RFT's only lasted about 20K miles. I replaced all four with Bridgestone Potenza AS960 Pole Position non-RFT's. I must say I had an '09 535i Sport loaner yesterday with Dunlop RFT's and I loved it. I may go back to RFT's someday, but my Bridgestone non-RFT's are guaranteed for 40K miles.
Aren't the '08's and '09s identical? Some early '08s don't have the newer I-Drive set up with the buttons, but what else do you think was different from your '08 sport? Also, do you think the ride with the Dunlop RFTs is better than with your Bridgestones? I just have to add only complete maniacs like us would check the tires on a loaner.:rofl:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm hoping for a year out of them - 15,000 miles. :dunno:
15k total, or another 15k?
BTW- noticed some bad tramlining last week, boy did I neglect the tire pressure! Those tires let you know they are low long before TPMS warnings kick in. I am in the process of repenting for the neglect.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in a big dilemma. :confused: Any help is sincerely appreciated.

So I went to get tread checked. Front RFTs are at 8/32" ... so almost new. Rear RFTs are at 5/32" ... so average used given 10,500 miles on them.

My local tire shops (Wheel Works and America's Tire) told me that they will install non-RFTs only if I replace all 4. They are not willing to put 2 non-RFTs on rear only. Here are the options they have given to me:

1. all 4 new non-RFTs
2. new 2 RFTs for rear
3. one new RFT for rear to replace the busted one

If I buy non-RFTs, I get road hazard warranty. With RFTs, there is no road hazard warranty. I really don't want to throw away absolutely fine front RFTs. What should I do?

As far as brands / models go, I am trying to decide between Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, and Dunlops that I have right now. What do you folks think?

The Wheel Works guy is trying to push Bridgestone saying that is BMW OEM. When BMW runs out of Bridgestone, they use Dunlop. He also said Michelin has half the life than Bridgestone. This all sounds like BS to me. I had repeated good experience with Michelins on my Honda Accord for almost 14 years.

Regarding buying used tire from eBay, I am told that I will have to buy 2 and I need to be very careful to make sure that the wear patterns are even or it will make the car unstable.

In the mean time, I am driving around with the spare on within 50 mph limit. I assume it will be fine for next few days. May be I should just order 4 non-RFT Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 from Costco and be done. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well, if you get new tires, don't let the tire dealer take the tires - sell them on eBay and make a couple hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
You said you wanted Michelin all-seasons? I can highly recommend the Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I had them on my previous (non-BMW) car. They were excellent. Replace all 4 if you want to go non-runflat.

I agree with PolkNole - the dynamics are different so don't mix. As safetywork says, watch out - if your car came from the factory with runflats, the suspension is tuned for runflats. You will notice a difference - I don't personally know what. Safetywork says the steering will appear light - that makes sense because the non-runflat will have more flexible sidewalls.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Where did they check your tread depth? The aggressive camber on these cars makes the inside wear much faster than the outside. With 10k on the tire something tells me that the depth was measured at the outside edge.

My RFTs have helped me out on several occasions, so I opted to stay with them, so I would buy 2 rear RFTs and be done with it. If you dislike your RFTs then buy 4 for the same money, and sell the 3 good RFTs.

SteveO

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just replaced wooden tires - errrr RFTs - on my new 535xit with Conti DSW - what a difference! Now car is as advertised - sport luxury. Same as I did on previous 530xi, I changed to Potenza 960AS back then.

I can change tire in 5 min so I don't care about that 1% probability that I am in a hurry somewhere or I am in unsafe area (why would you drive BMW in unsafe area in the first place?).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
HokieXDriver, your statement (couldn't find Safetywork's statement to this effect) "if your car came from the factory with runflats, the suspension is tuned for runflats" makes me conclude that non-RFTs are not an option for me since my car came with factory installed RFTs. Did I understand it correctly? If so, then why are all festers are reporting very positive experience after replacing their RFTs with non-RFTs?

SteveO, did you expect rear RFTs to be left less than 5/32" after 10K miles? I have not driver a 535i with sports pkg and with non-RFTs. So don't have a way to compare the experience of RFTs vs non-RFTs. I was thinking about switching to non-RFTs based on festers' experience ... but not so soon. I was hoping to replace all 4 after the current ones are used up.

PolkNole, I am not going to mix RFTs and non-RFTs. Thanks for suggesting to sell my remaining fine tires on eBay, if I change all 4. I tried searching eBay for used 275/35R18 on eBay to replace both rear RFTs, but couldn't find any. Was it simple for you to find yours?

Safetywork, thanks for sharing your experience with non-RFTs on E60. I doing some comparisons (price / reviews) between 4 non-RFTs vs 2 rear RFTs before pulling the trigger on this one. For either non-RFT or RFT, I am leaning towards Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 based on good rating on tirerack.com.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
PolkNole, I tried searching eBay for used 175/35R18 on eBay to replace both rear RFTs, but couldn't find any. Was it simple for you to find yours?
LOL, that's a good thing - because the tire's a 275 35 18!

For some reason, I can't post this link, but search for this and there are plenty. I ordered my two from Bay Tires and they were fine...

Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST 275 35 18

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
HokieXDriver, your statement (couldn't find Safetywork's statement to this effect) "if your car came from the factory with runflats, the suspension is tuned for runflats" makes me conclude that non-RFTs are not an option for me since my car came with factory installed RFTs. Did I understand it correctly? If so, then why are all festers are reporting very positive experience after replacing their RFTs with non-RFTs?
To be clear, that was me who said that about the suspension; safetywork reported that it felt "lighter" with non-runflats. I have read that BMW tunes suspensions a little less tautly for runflats to compensate for the heavier runflats. If so, then safetywork's experience would jibe with that.

I think people have different expectations of what a BMW should feel like. I actually like the harsh, jolting type of ride, so runflats feel better to me. Others who may prefer a softer, less jarring ride may prefer non-runflats. That could account for the different experiences in switching.

I don't mean to imply you should not switch to non-runflat. I don't think there is a safety issue. I just meant to say your car will feel different - you may prefer it or you may not. Sorry if I implied that non-runflat is not an option for you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.