BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Euro switch a while back and wanted to post a thread with my experience.

First, here is a great thread on this DIY:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379152&highlight=european+light+switch+rear+fog

I intend for this thread to compliment noslodot's thread. I'm assuming you've read through his (or her) thread first.

I bought the light switch through ECS tuning:

When it came, I noticed it didn't have the same bit of chrome that is on my January '09 build, '09 E92. I installed the switch, but it bugged me that the little bit of chrome was missing, so I took it apart again, and started swapping parts.

To get the switch off, you pry off the vent, and pull the housing below. You'll have to disconnnect the wiring harness by swinging a bar back to disengage the connector.

Here's what the dash looks like after the parts are removed:

Here are the two switches, side by side: the switch that came from my car is on the left, the "new" switch is on the right.

By prying back the locking tabs, it's easy to open the switches. You'll need to take apart both switches. Be careful to keep the parts straight as, once open, some pieces will just fall out on the table.

I found the trickiest part of this DIY was to remove the captive lower right switch or switch blank from the assemblies. I eventually did this by using two jeweler's screwdrivers at the same time. This took a while because I was worried I'd snap something.

Now it's time to mix and match. You put the Euroswitch button with the icon for the rear fog light back into the housing that came on your car, you want the circuit board from the Euroswitch too. You also want both white pen cap pieces.

By this time, you'll know what you're doing and everything will snap in and together and you've got it.

Putting the dash back together is easy too.

Now the first time I tried this, I didn't use the circuit board that came with the Euroswitch. Everything looked great, but the little icon didn't light up. (What's the point of spending $100+ dollars if you can't get the little icon to light up? Yes... I know you can't really see it when you're driving because it's blocked by the steering wheel... but it's the damned principle of the thing, no?) If you've got the right circuit board, everything lights up.

That's it. Here's the back end of my dirty car without the rear fogs on and with them on.

Finally, a confession. I paid over a hundred dollars to have rear fog light capability plus the icon. Skip the icon, and you can still have that rear fog light capability for free by being creative with a pen cap or electrical wire nut. Not only that, but with the exception of testing it out or showing it to someone, I haven't yet used the rear fogs.... I just haven't driven in conditions in the last couple of months where I felt it was prudent to use them.

That's it folks!

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Great post with pics, Prof.
I noticed the difference in the chrome trim piece too, but I just cannibalized the old knob and put it on the new switch before I stuck it in. There was no way I was going to mess with the circuit board.

You are a brave man indeed! :)

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol! No kidding. I thought about doing that, but the knobs didn't seem to pull off easily to me and I was too much of a wimp to try harder. Your solution is more elegant (but not as much fun as gettin' under the hood).

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah I have already posted a DIY for this mod once too. Switching the knobs was much easier. But I did not get any pictures. Take the two clips off the face plate and gently wiggle the knob until it comes straight off. Just need to make sure that you know what position it was in so that you can put the new knob (or in this case the old one LOL) in the same position or your selector will be in the wrong place. :D Speaks the voice of experience LOL

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I feel a bit foolish for going at it the hard way, lol. But I actually enjoyed it and can see that it really would be pretty easy to do that pen cap mod. It made me nervous to take everything apart, but once I did, I realized it was no big deal. It might, in fact, be easier than persuading the knobs off.

then again... prolly not.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Good job! Pretty gutsy taking apart your new $122 switch. I would have been worried I break it.

I bought my switch for $65 a year or so ago. For the price these days, I think I'd go the "mod the current switch" route. Why did these thing jump in price so much???

·
Registered
841 Posts
The odd thing with my 1/10 335d build is that the stock switch was almost complete, basically I didn't even have to add any parts, the plastic piece came in both. All I had to do was break off the little tabs that held the switch in place.

EDIT:
Actually if you can get a hold of this part #61319169404
You don't even have to do surgery as it looks like the 2nd pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I love having rear fogs.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like this mod and I like having an extra feature on the car, even if I only rarely will use it.

Do you ever wonder if the service guys/gals notice it? Do you ever wonder if a future buyer would? And if so, would it add to the value (cool!) or detract (whoops... the previous owner messed with the OEM stuff... I wonder what he screwed up...)?

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Good job! Pretty gutsy taking apart your new $122 switch. I would have been worried I break it.

I bought my switch for $65 a year or so ago. For the price these days, I think I'd go the "mod the current switch" route. Why did these thing jump in price so much???
My guess is the jump in price has to do with market demand/availability. Even though Tischer shows it as available, if you try to order it from them they won't because it's not "approved" by BMWNA. I thought about doing the pen-cap version of the mod and painting the icon on on the button; but it would have bugged me too much that when the rest of the instrument cluster was lit, that light would be missing.

I actually got to use mine for the first time a few weeks ago when we had one of those thick as pea soup mornings. Gave me a nice little cushion of comfort merging onto the freeway with our combo on/off ramp setup.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well, I feel a bit foolish for going at it the hard way, lol. But I actually enjoyed it and can see that it really would be pretty easy to do that pen cap mod. It made me nervous to take everything apart, but once I did, I realized it was no big deal. It might, in fact, be easier than persuading the knobs off.

then again... prolly not.
I have taken the whole switch apart as well as just changed the knob. I felt the same way as you did. Taking the switch apart is what gave me the confidence to try taking the knob off. Also getting the new switch installed allowed me to play with the old one and not fear breaking it as much. That is how I discovered the knob issue and the fix.

BTW - the knob is MUCH easier !!! LOL :p

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, at least people who search and find this thread will know what their options are.

Every time a do a mod, I'm picking up skills and getting bolder with the car. I've done the BSW Stage 1 upgrade which involves taking the doors apart. You may laugh, but doing this first gave me some confidence which helped with the speaker upgrade. (I'll be posting a thread about that experience soon.)

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I have taken the whole switch apart as well as just changed the knob. I felt the same way as you did. Taking the switch apart is what gave me the confidence to try taking the knob off. Also getting the new switch installed allowed me to play with the old one and not fear breaking it as much. That is how I discovered the knob issue and the fix.

BTW - the knob is MUCH easier !!! LOL :p
KH: You crack me up. :rofl: You are always saying that you aren't mechanically inclined then you slip up and admit that you are taking things completely apart and reassembling them!
Are you sandbagging us?:angel:

Well, at least people who search and find this thread will know what their options are.

Every time a do a mod, I'm picking up skills and getting bolder with the car. I've done the BSW Stage 1 upgrade which involves taking the doors apart. You may laugh, but doing this first gave me some confidence which helped with the speaker upgrade. (I'll be posting a thread about that experience soon.)
I agree. This was a great confidence booster mod. I was so excited when I actually did this one 99.5% by myself (with a lot of pre-game coaching, thanks KH) BF only had to help with the getting the wire connector bail undone/redone.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
KH: You crack me up. :rofl: You are always saying that you aren't mechanically inclined then you slip up and admit that you are taking things completely apart and reassembling them!
Are you sandbagging us?:angel:.
:rofl: hehehehehe you found me out !!! :D No really I was completely surprised at myself being able to get this mod done too. Of course when I did it it was the first mod I ever did on a brand new car so that contributed to the fear factor .... I can follow directions fairly well but making it up as I go certainly ain't my strong suit !! LOL

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can someone explain to me what is the point of the rear fog lights? Just so people can see the back of your car better in dense fog? Is that really a problem?
Yes.

No.

Of course, if you DO get rear ended, it was really a problem.

It's just a feature that lurks in our cars. Everything is there ready to go. All you have to do is change the switch or modify the switch. There's even a light in the dashboard just waiting there to be lit up.

If used responsibly, the rear fog light can add a bit of safety to a low visibility day. 'No harm in that.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes.

No.

It's just a feature that lurks in our cars. Everything is there ready to go. All you have to do is change the switch or modify the switch. There's even a light in the dashboard just waiting there to be lit up.

If used responsibly, the rear fog light can add a bit of safety to a low visibility day. 'No harm in that.
Here in Riverside, we'll sometimes get extremely dense AM fog, in which I will gladly take any mod that increases my car's visibility. Thank goodness our E90's are this easy as the E46 was a bear to implement the rear fogs.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes.

No.

Fair enough. I never even felt the need to use the front fog lights, much less the rear ones. Not much fog where I live I guess.

That is odd that they have the feature ready to go, but don't give you a switch for it.....and I can certainly understand your desire to take full advantage of all the cars features.

·
Not a real doctor.
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
'Has to be something to do with U.S. federal laws about imported cars. I think it's strange too. You'd think it would be cheaper to just build all cars with the one switch.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.