BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2010 audi S4 vs. M3

19250 Views 66 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  ///M3 E93 in LA
I had been planning to get a new M3 when my Z4 M coupe lease is up in March but today I test drove the new Audi S4.
It is a very impressive car. With a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, a 333 HP supercharged V6 and AWD, the car does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and I was able to hit 100 on the highway very easily, in fact without evening realizing it as I normally don't drive that way in traffic. it was quiet, solid and very confortable with more room than the M3 and the interior is, as usual with Audi, very nice. With every conceivable option (Nav, Bang and Olufsen Stereo, comfort access equivalent, adjustable suspension, torque distributing rear diff, 19 inch wheels, etc etc) this car is about 60K, probably 10K less than the comparable M3.
Please tell me some really good reasons to not buy the Audi, I am starting to waver...Oh, I almost forgot, 29 mpg highway...
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
It really is a preference about performance and perhaps warranty service and other priorities. For me its M3.
S4 is a fine choice, but Audi is positioning it as a 335i/335xi competitor, leaving the RS4 to compete against the M3.

By the way, did you also test drive the S5?
By the way, one thing that I REALLY like about the S4/S5 is *drum roll* the SPARE TIRE!

I hate the RFTs, and I am too worried to make a long trip with the M-Mobility Kit alone. All current ///M cars aren't light by any stretch of imagination, and I can't understand the logic behind not making it at least an option. I'd certainly choose the spare tire over the moon roof.
Enigma, great point about the spare tire. I have always been uneasy without a spare as I also do many long trips.
The latest M3 M-DCT (which I ordered today) does NOT have run flat tyres.:thumbup: and it's miles better in most departments than any audi of which I have had them all.:thumbup:
By the way, one thing that I REALLY like about the S4/S5 is *drum roll* the SPARE TIRE!

I hate the RFTs, and I am too worried to make a long trip with the M-Mobility Kit alone. All current ///M cars aren't light by any stretch of imagination, and I can't understand the logic behind not making it at least an option. I'd certainly choose the spare tire over the moon roof.
Johmbmw6, While true the M3 doesn't come with runflats, you are even more vulnerable to being disabled on the road with a flat. You are giving a can of glue to spray into the tire and hopefully temporarily patch the hole while you limp to a service center. If you delaminate or tear a big hole, you are SOL.
If youdon't have a spare, you are really at risk. Given a choice, I would always prefer to have a spare...I know many guys who buy an extrawheel and tire and keep it in the trunk just for this reason....
Here in the chilly north, I use runflats for the winter. I've had two flats in the past four weeks with my 335i, one in Michigan and one in Ontario. In both cases AAA/CAA rescued me with a flatbed. Michigan required an overnight stay and my son-in-law had to ferry in a wheel from Ontario after the tire dealer discovered a crack. I took a good look at the S4 - a very rational choice. Then, on the spur of the moment I bought an M3 DCT coupe. Go figure!
Jim, your experience just proves that these are not rational decisions. If any of us were truly rational, we'd all drive corollas....

Tying to choose an S4 because it is more "rational" than an M3 is like a heroin addict switching to marijuana because its less addicting....
C'on :D You can put neither M3 nor S4 next to the word "rational"...
I have been driving BMWs for 16 years - a 94 3 series Cabriolet that I drove for 10 years and 250000 km, a 2000 740 and most recently an 07 328 xi. However, BMW and Bridgestone have driven me away as a customer due to run flat tires. They ruin the ride of the otherwise lovely 3 series and they wear unevenly so that for the 80000 km I have had my car, it has sounded like a tractor for 50000 at highway speeds!

To my way of thinking Audi is just making better cars all-round than BMW right now. I am appalled at the newest BMW models - ridiculous overweight and overpowered SUVs disguised as coupes, etc! (Although I admire the new Z4)

I have ordered a 2010 S4, silver with red/black leather interior and the 7 speed S-tronic. It is a very sweet ride. It is a car that can be set to drive around town in comfort or to get crazy on a winding road. The acceleration with the S-tronic and supercharged engine is addictive. You can drive it as an automatic or shift for yourself with the kind of precision that 3-pedal manual drivers (which I have mostly been) can only dream about. IMHO, it is a no-brainer right now. I feel a little bad, because I admire BMW as a company and I have loved their cars, but they are taking a beating right now and Audi has the stick!
I don't get it. Are the Audi SUVs less overweight than the BMW ones? Is the S4 any lighter than the M3? Or 335?

Exactly why is the S4 a better all around car than say, the 335i? It's heavier, more expensive but not any faster nor more fun.

To my way of thinking Audi is just making better cars all-round than BMW right now. I am appalled at the newest BMW models - ridiculous overweight and overpowered SUVs disguised as coupes, etc! (Although I admire the new Z4)(...)I have ordered a 2010 S4
the car does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and I was able to hit 100 on the highway very easily, in fact without evening realizing it as I normally don't drive that way in traffic. it was quiet, solid and very confortable with more room than the M3 and the interior is, as usual with Audi, very nice.
So if you want a nice, quiet, quick, comfortable commuting car, the S4 is going to be brilliant.

But if you want your sedan to do the same things your M Coupe does, then get the M3. :dunno:
Well I was an audi man for some years, bought all the high so called audi performers.
S8 V10...... RS4 B7...... A8 4.2TDI tuned to 390BHP.................. none and I mean none drove as well as my BMW's....................... I just ordered yesterday the M3 E90 M-DCT in Alpine white with 19" M/spokes Palladium Silver/blue leather, nuf said.:thumbup:
I had been planning to get a new M3 when my Z4 M coupe lease is up in March but today I test drove the new Audi S4.
It is a very impressive car. With a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, a 333 HP supercharged V6 and AWD, the car does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and I was able to hit 100 on the highway very easily, in fact without evening realizing it as I normally don't drive that way in traffic. it was quiet, solid and very confortable with more room than the M3 and the interior is, as usual with Audi, very nice. With every conceivable option (Nav, Bang and Olufsen Stereo, comfort access equivalent, adjustable suspension, torque distributing rear diff, 19 inch wheels, etc etc) this car is about 60K, probably 10K less than the comparable M3.
Please tell me some really good reasons to not buy the Audi, I am starting to waver...Oh, I almost forgot, 29 mpg highway...
IMHO, the choice would boil down to the needs of the individual....after owning 3 Audis and 5 BMWs, I have come to believe that Audi will never match or exceed BMW`s handling prowess....BMW`s chassis engineers have kept the Roundel at the top of the heap for a long time, and I don`t see that changing any time soon....hardcore, "Type-A" drivers will likely prefer the BMW.
BMW Connect should come out and fix a punctured tyre, I agree that NO spare is not a good idea but surely they would work hard to replace the tyre as quickly as possible. Anyone had this experience?.
:thumbup:
Johmbmw6, While true the M3 doesn't come with runflats, you are even more vulnerable to being disabled on the road with a flat. You are giving a can of glue to spray into the tire and hopefully temporarily patch the hole while you limp to a service center. If you delaminate or tear a big hole, you are SOL.
If youdon't have a spare, you are really at risk. Given a choice, I would always prefer to have a spare...I know many guys who buy an extrawheel and tire and keep it in the trunk just for this reason....
Lack of a spare was a big letdown to me as well. I'm a little better prepared with a flat tire kit and the BMW jack kit, but still feel vulnerable.

My question to the gang is: Do any of you carry a spare??? I found a thread on another forum that lists a wheel, spacer, adapter, and tire choices that supposedly work, but man, wish somebody sold the damn thing put together. I'm definitely going to do something about it, because where I travel I can be hundreds of miles from the closest BMW dealer (road assistance only pays if towed to a BMW dealer; go figure). With the jack kit, at least I can remove the offending wheel/tire and call the other roadside assistance I have, especially if close to a town (I don't want my car towed if I can avoid it).

Having said that, 911s, Caymans, Z06s, etc., are on the same boat, so we're SOL folks. Now, between runflats and a spare, especially with 19" wheels (like riding on bricks with RFs), I think the inconvenience of a spare wins for me. Need to go back to that thread and start buying all the crap needed for a spare. We can always sell it at trade-in time :thumbup:. Take care.
You are giving a can of glue to spray into the tire and hopefully temporarily patch the hole while you limp to a service center. If you delaminate or tear a big hole, you are SOL.
bi turbo- v10........

nuffsaid.
S4 is a really well executed car - but it's not a comp to the M3. More a comp to a 335i - which C&D just did a back-to-back test on these two and gave the nod to the S4. If the OP likes it and wants to save some $$$, then it's a valid choice.

The RS5 is going to be the true challenger to the M3.
Here's why Audi's not a good choice: S4 & S5 are in the first year of production. Never buy in the first year - preferably, wait for the 3rd or better, 4th year - bugs generally squashed by then.

You did the right thing by scoring a M3. ;)
I took a good look at the S4 - a very rational choice.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.