BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just registered - my first post.

I own a 2010 328i Coupe Premium A/T Triptronic (production date 12/2009, last 6 of vin# P139927)

Here is my issue:

When I accelerate in any gear, either in automatic or manual mode the car starts to shake and vibrate as if the engine power is being cut off intermittently every second or so. (This type of shaking almost feels like DTS is kicking in to prevent slippage, but unlike DTS which would cut the power to wheels then restore it).

When this happens, I take my foot off the gas, let the car coast for about five seconds or so, then I can gently accelerate and everything returns to normal. If I continue accelerating while this issue is happening, the car continues to shake and vibrate with increased intervals and seems like more vigorously, which only stops if I pull over and turn the car completely off and then on again.

This happens when the engine is both, hot and cold. Check engine light is NOT on. Seems that it happens most frequently when I start accelerating normally, when the car is in 4th gear and rpms are below 3000. Engine never stalls, just loss of power shaking and no acceleration.

Additional info 1 (not sure if related to my current issue): a few months ago I have replaced a camshaft sensor, as I could not start the car at all sometimes, while other times it would take about 10 minutes of trying to crank the starter.

Additional info 2 (not sure if related to my current issue): in the past when I would accelerate hard (I mean flooring the gas), sometimes I would hear a loud bang coming from the front. It seemed like the sound would come from the lower front like right axle. This only happened sometimes and not each time that I would accelerate hard. This only happens when you drive the car had and accelerate and it's not an issue when you drive smoothly, so I have not done any further investigation on this.

Additional info 3 (not sure if related to my current issue): I've also took out both of my vanos valves, cleaned them, and switched places (both of these are identical). I thought maybe it's one of the vanos valves, but the problem still remains.

I've searched posts and people say it could be like 10 different things, starting with fuel pump, to various sensors, to axle, etc...

Please share your solutions.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car has 55k miles on it. Seems like it's a bit early for spark plugs. Also, when I changed the eccentric shaft sensor the spark plugs and coils looked pretty much new.

I'll take your advice, since it's a pretty easy and cheap fix - I'll start there.

Thanks a lot and I'll report back once I replace the plugs. I'm also thinking of replacing the coils once I'm in there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Have you used a code reader? You can get codes out of the computers without tripping the CEL... If you don't have it, get yourself a copy of BMW Carly and the OBD2 adapter. It's an invaluable tool if you're going to service your own BMW. If you REALLY want to deep dive into BMW diagnostics, get yourself the Bavarian Technic tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll trying using a code reader next.
Does Bavarian Technic tool also clear codes? I guess I want the best all around tool as I've heard that the ODB2 tool that the dealer uses is way better than any aftermarket stuff available because apparently there are some bmw specific codes that aftermarket tools miss.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Yes it does.. and if you want the BEST, Bavarian Technic is the best.. Just read the specs carefully, they have one that only can manage I think 3 unique VIN's and the other is unlimited...

BMW Carly has been "good enough" for my needs and been well worth the roughly $80 investment!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My car has 55k miles on it. Seems like it's a bit early for spark plugs. Also, when I changed the eccentric shaft sensor the spark plugs and coils looked pretty much new.

I'll take your advice, since it's a pretty easy and cheap fix - I'll start there.

Thanks a lot and I'll report back once I replace the plugs. I'm also thinking of replacing the coils once I'm in there.

Thanks!
Ahead of the game on the spark plug change, usually 60k, but at least its done now!

Good luck on finding what the issue is, I have nothing that can help you, sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts