BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance, has anyone had any experience trying to have the direct TPMS sensors (metal)
installed on older BMW OEM wheels that didn't use them?
I have a set of 2006 17" 116 wheels that I want to use for snows on my 2010 550. I used them
for winter tires on my 2006 550 that had the indirect TPM system with the rubber valve stems.
Gary at tire rack couldn't tell me if the sensors would fit that wheel. My dealer "thinks so"
but won't know till they try.

·
Banned
133 Posts
Hey I always thought that the sensor was not on the wheel. Well that is the way it is with my 04 530i. I have changed my wheels and the tpms would go off and I would just stop and hit set tp. After that it would just reset and only come on again if I had a flat. It adapted to my new wheels and through experience it hasn't failed me yet. Just the other day I had a nail go in my tire and it blew out(damn low profiles!!!) and immediately the car told me I had a flat. The rim shop that put on the wheels told me that the tpms was built in and cannot be removed. I am not sure about the new BMW's though. maybe you should find out

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New vs Old TPMS

Thanks for the reply.
You are correct in that the older TPMS is "built in" as it uses the ABS system which detects the
change in wheel rotation speed that occurs with drop in tire pressure (volume).
That system uses normal rubber valve stems and doesn't care about which type wheel you have.
The newer system (I have it on my2010 but it was not on my 2006 & I'm not sure what year it came
into use) directly measures the pressure in each tire using a sensor that is part of the valve system and
the valvestem is metal so you can easily tell which you have.
The issue for me is that for the most part all newly manufactured rims are made to accept the new
TPMS sensor/valvestem, but some older rims will not.
I'll soon find out & I hope the choice won't be between getting new rims or doing without TPMS.

·
Registered
196 Posts
07 is the TPSM roll out in the USA , TPM was the previous system and yes it does monitor the wheel rotation threw the ABS system.

TPSM uses radio sensors on the valve stems and sends the air pressure back to the car.

If you car is pre 07 model year you use normal valve stems, vs most 07 use the "metal" valve stems with the sensors on the inside of the tires.

http://www.5series.net/faq/#soq13
for the TPM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts