BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
OCD Afflicted
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Referencing a 2010 X535d with every option [excepting bigger rims, heated steering wheel, and rear entertainment], delivered Halloween Day. Owner notes after 1 week (100 mi.) are as follows:

1. Mildly surprised at the noise and vibration of the powerplant. Not irritating, but noticeable on both counts. The gentle vibratory hum of the engine at speed (1800 RPM) is actually somewhat soothing.

2. Quite impressed with initial mileage performance (admittedly WAY too early to be considered credible data) - iDrive showing 22 MPG X 19 MPH avg. in 70% street + 30% freeway driving.

3. Minimal issues with the iDrive controller. Then again, I'm an obligate Windows OS drudge, so was perhaps prepared for more of a scrum. Have rarely had to open the owner's manual. Overall, the iDrive (control) interface is more "butch" than that of the wife's Infinity EX35 - both are equally effective once mastered.

4. iDrive via BT only synchs (extracts) my Treo700WX "quick dials" and not its complete contact list. Since this behavior is identical to that with a 2007 BMW 328iT, methinks the inability to fully synch is related more to a somewhat outdated Treo than the BMW BT firmware.

5. Loading mp3 music from the glovebox USB port (off of a Lexar flashdrive) to the X5's HDD is glacially slow. For 128 kbps encoded mp3 files, the transfer rate is ~800 songs/hr. Thus, it is going to take about 4 hours to max out the 12.5 GB HDD. Complicated story why I'm not engaging the IPOD interface (linked to her claiming "dibs" on the IPOD interface to maintain segregation of "his" and "her" music collections).

6. Handling, ride, performance exactly as expected. The X5 obviously doesn't corner and "juke" like the 328iT, but it does offer a much appreciated improvement in ride comfort and presence for dealing with the deteriorating road conditions in a [nearly] bankrupt city.

Will post an update after 500 miles of ownership.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered the same car! Mine won't start production until Dec 7th but please keep me posted on how things are going. One thing, I ordered the usb/ipod adapter but not the interface. Should I get both? Thanks for the thread...

·
OCD Afflicted
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grkmec-
Will hopefully have a better sense of adaptive drive's value after this Sunday's session with heavy sports gear piled on the roof.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try a USB thumb drive

I have the 6FL option but no IPOD. I bought a 16GB USB stick for $25 and have about 13GB of Lossless WMA files on there. The USB interface reads the file tags pretty quickly, so I can roll through the list of Artists / Genres almost instantly upon inserting the stick.

Once you load songs onto the HDD, how do you delete them? There again its a snap on the computer to delete or add songs.

What a bummer that the HDD is so slow. Perhaps its USB 1.1

·
OCD Afflicted
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOODFOOT- you should be all set with the "IPOD and USB" option when bundled with the Technology Package. stimulus - the process for deleting HDD stored tracks is outlined on p. 181 of the OM: assuming the folder the song resides under is not active (playing something), one can access the delete file function via the Options button (tab) on iDrive.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm curious.....would it be possible to just leave the USB flashcard in the USB port, not copy the mp3's onto the hard drive, and access the songs via the flashcard without much delay?

Is this what you're doing, Stimulus?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,710 Posts
Compared to my other two, the 'X is a coffin- sound wise.

I am very, very impressed with handling and the adaptive drive/suspension. Very predicatable handling, limited roll in the rear, good turn in and not overly intrusive as the turn develops.

A

·
Registered
38 Posts
Referencing a 2010 X535d with every option [excepting bigger rims, heated steering wheel, and rear entertainment], delivered Halloween Day. Owner notes after 1 week (100 mi.) are as follows:

1. Mildly surprised at the noise and vibration of the powerplant. Not irritating, but noticeable on both counts. The gentle vibratory hum of the engine at speed (1800 RPM) is actually somewhat soothing.

2. Quite impressed with initial mileage performance (admittedly WAY too early to be considered credible data) - iDrive showing 22 MPG X 19 MPH avg. in 70% street + 30% freeway driving.

3. Minimal issues with the iDrive controller. Then again, I'm an obligate Windows OS drudge, so was perhaps prepared for more of a scrum. Have rarely had to open the owner's manual. Overall, the iDrive (control) interface is more "butch" than that of the wife's Infinity EX35 - both are equally effective once mastered.

4. iDrive via BT only synchs (extracts) my Treo700WX "quick dials" and not its complete contact list. Since this behavior is identical to that with a 2007 BMW 328iT, methinks the inability to fully synch is related more to a somewhat outdated Treo than the BMW BT firmware.

5. Loading mp3 music from the glovebox USB port (off of a Lexar flashdrive) to the X5's HDD is glacially slow. For 128 kbps encoded mp3 files, the transfer rate is ~800 songs/hr. Thus, it is going to take about 4 hours to max out the 12.5 GB HDD. Complicated story why I'm not engaging the IPOD interface (linked to her claiming "dibs" on the IPOD interface to maintain segregation of "his" and "her" music collections).

6. Handling, ride, performance exactly as expected. The X5 obviously doesn't corner and "juke" like the 328iT, but it does offer a much appreciated improvement in ride comfort and presence for dealing with the deteriorating road conditions in a [nearly] bankrupt city.

Will post an update after 500 miles of ownership.
I used an OCZ 16 gb flashdrive witha little over 10Gb to transfer. I encoded at 256kps, exactly 1422 tracks and it took just under 1 hour. Perhaps your flash drive doesn't have that quick of a transfer rate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey guys, are there any other options to connect my ipod to the car (and be able to control it) other than through:

1. The auxilliary which does not allow control of the ipod functions
2. The factory installed USB/iPod adapater which I couldn't add to the car since it jumped from 112 status to 150 the day I went to the dealership to add this option!!!
3. The dealer installed iPod adapter, since it is not compatible with the CD changer one gets with the premium audio (which is what I have)

Thanks.

·
OCD Afflicted
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete540i-
Glad to hear you experienced a faster transfer from personal flashdrive to the X5 hard drive. That said, one hour for 10 GB is still extremely slow by typical PC standards. It's entirely possible that different USB drives have different transfer rates. Either way, the message here is that transfer rates to the X5 HDD from USB flash memory are SIGNIFICANTLY slower than that observed with non-automotive HDDs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Sea Doom! I have a Panasonic Nav/DVD/Hard Drive unit in another vehicle and like the BMW one, it also loads files at a much slower rate than my laptop and desktop computers. It does hold a lot more than the BMW idrive though, with 30 or 40 gigs of memory.

·
Yes, please!
1,227 Posts
Hey guys, are there any other options to connect my ipod to the car (and be able to control it) other than through:

1. The auxilliary which does not allow control of the ipod functions
2. The factory installed USB/iPod adapater which I couldn't add to the car since it jumped from 112 status to 150 the day I went to the dealership to add this option!!!
3. The dealer installed iPod adapter, since it is not compatible with the CD changer one gets with the premium audio (which is what I have)

Thanks.
Just get option 3 (the dealer installed adapter). Why would you need a CD changer when you have an iPod? :dunno: I don't use CDs for anything anymore. I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just get option 3 (the dealer installed adapter). Why would you need a CD changer when you have an iPod? :dunno: I don't use CDs for anything anymore. I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD.
The CD changer comes with the premium audio package. Trust me, I hardly use CDs anymore too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts