BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new on the forum and wanted to know how complex it is to change the harmonic balancer on 2010 X5 35d? Any detailed instructions anywhere with parts that I need, I'm a pretty handy DIYer. Just incase does anyone know of any really good Indy shops in the Phoenix AZ area that cater to BMWs ?

Thanks in advance guys!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Doesn't look like too bad of a DIY job.

Here is a link to one of the better descriptions I've seen: ***65279;http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380230

Another good reference is posts #66-83 on this link. In particular, this write up is interesting because daytonatrbo uses a simple yet elegant (i.e. - a block of wood on a jack!) method for holding the crankshaft while removing and torquing the harmonic balancer bolts.

Don't bother reading the 18 pages of the Fluidampr posting - at the end of it all the Fluidampr product is still vaporware.

Since it appears to be at least a moderately common weak point, and my e70 35d has nearly 120,000 miles I've checked it's condition with a mirror. So far it looks pretty good, and since the replacement parts (including TTY bolts) run around $300 I've not yet pulled the trigger on doing a pre-emptive repair.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi guys I'm new on the forum and wanted to know how complex it is to change the harmonic balancer on 2010 X5 35d? Any detailed instructions anywhere with parts that I need, I'm a pretty handy DIYer. Just incase does anyone know of any really good Indy shops in the Phoenix AZ area that cater to BMWs ?

Thanks in advance guys!!
BM LTD. on 16th St - ask for Andrew

Member of bimr.org

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.