BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm about to order a new 2010 X5 xDrive35d without Navigation and it appears I will NOT be getting the new iDrive operating system! Is this true? Do you have to order Navigation to get the new iDrive OS?

Thanks in advance!
-bjorn

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Hello,

I'm about to order a new 2010 X5 xDrive35d without Navigation and it appears I will NOT be getting the new iDrive operating system! Is this true? Do you have to order Navigation to get the new iDrive OS?

Thanks in advance!
-bjorn
Well, don't take this as 100%, but since the 2010 Owner's Manual only shows the new iDrive OS, and the manual is for all versions/option mix, it would seem to me that it is extremely unlikely that any 2010 X5 models would have the old idrive OS. But... I am fairly certain that if you do not get Navigation, you get a smaller, lower resolution screen, e.g. go to the "build you own" section of the BMWUSA website and see how the screen changes when you add or delete the navigation option.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I don't think ordering Professional sat nav has anything to do with whether you get the new iDrive. You should get the new interface even without ordering sat nav.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the quick feedback. Anyone have first hand knowledge?

As you could imagine, I'm very concerned about this - I would hate to get stuck with the old OS. I can't find any "hard" data anywhere to confirm this. Additionally, the dealer is telling me I will get the OLD OS if I don't get Nav. So now I'm forced with the prospect of spending $1800 for Nav just to ensure I get the latest software.

I did notice the smaller screen size without Nav. According to the rep, this in addition to the fact that it's a lower resolution, proves that the old OS is installed here. Unbelievable!

-bjorn

·
Yes, please!
1,227 Posts
You will get the iDrive stuff. The screen will be smaller than if you ordered the NAV, though. You will be able to access settings, audio, climate control, phone/bluetooth (if you got that option OR the premium package), etc. You will not have NAV, back-up camera, etc, which is why your screen will be smaller.

EDIT: Go to the BMWUSA website and build your own X5. You can see that in the interior shot you will have a small screen and the iDrive controller with new buttons on the center console. You can also find the 2010 X5d Owner's Manual on that website. Look through the manual and you will find the directions on how to use the iDrive. Check out the pictures that it has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaaX3, excellent information, thanks. I'll go download manual now.

I actually told the rep about the iDrive knob in the picture and can you believe he told me "Yes, you just get the new knob; but with the old OS." !!

·
Yes, please!
1,227 Posts
No prob. I just checked my manual and page 74 of the manual has some good pics. You're square. You did right asking the question here. There are some good CAs out there, but a lot of them talk out of their arse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just called BMW Customer Service and they told me they are 99.99% sure you get the OLD iDrive when you order without Nav!! And inexplicably, they have no other way to confirm besides calling the various dealers and asking the reps. Wow, this is frustrating.

I saw the pics in the manual and it's definitely the new system. :(

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
So just called BMW Customer Service and they told me they are 99.99% sure you get the OLD iDrive when you order without Nav!! And inexplicably, they have no other way to confirm besides calling the various dealers and asking the reps. Wow, this is frustrating.

I saw the pics in the manual and it's definitely the new system. :(
Based on the few interfaces I've had with BMW Customer Service reps, I think BMW NA might have outsourced that function to save money. The reps act like they have a FAQ list for the most common questions, and are instructed to refer the person to the dealer if something is not on the FAQ list, which is ridiculous, since most people call BMW NA as a result of not getting adequate information from their dealer.

The BMW Internal "Product Planning & Strategy Bulletin, Model Year 2010 X5 and X6" dated August, 2009 says:

"New iDrive system, which debuted on the new 7 series, is standard equipment."

The PDF of the letter is posted somewhere on the message board, I believe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
-bjorn
New iDrive. However, is you don't get nav, you miss out on a lot of features that come with Nav.

but it is up to you. I find it odd to pay $65k+ for a car that has no nav.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
New iDrive. However, is you don't get nav, you miss out on a lot of features that come with Nav.

but it is up to you. I find it odd to pay $65k+ for a car that has no nav.
FWIW, I don't know if it is true, but several automotive salespeople have told me that not having nav on used high-end vehicles makes them a hard sell nowadays. Not a concern if you are leasing, or plan to keep the vehicle a long time, but if you plan to purchase it and trade-in/sell it in 4-5 years or less, it might be something to consider, or at least investigate further to determine its truth.

I certainly don't believe everything sales guys tell me, but it sorta makes sense.

·
Registered
405 Posts
..... I find it odd to pay $65k+ for a car that has no nav.
The problem with technology like NAV is that it goes out of date so quickly. If you don't believe me, look at the attention in this forum being given to the new iDrive, NAV and rear view cameras in the 2010 model. The 2009 versions instantly look quaint :)

FWIW I've purchased two X5s without NAV and I am very happy I did. An iPhone running Google Maps beats the BMW NAV every time -- especially after you get out of the car :p

BTW my favorite view of the iDrive screen is OFF.

Funf Dreisig

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't agree more with you Funf. I'd rather keep my iPhone up to date than stick with a built-in Nav system for 5+ years. This is precisely why I'm trying to order this vehicle without it. I would like the new iDrive system though for everything else.

Rep told me the same thing about resale value - he said your car would automatically be worth 700-1000 USD more with Nav. It's a good point, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to drop 1800 now.

Still a mystery. The only way I can be certain is if someone in the forums has a 2010 Diesel without Nav and can let us know if it's the old or new iDrive. I'm guessing that's going to be tough to come by. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 2010 X5d WITH Nav. I know you are looking for someone without Nav, but I just wanted to say it is the best in car navigation I have seen. I had Nav in my 2007 530Xi, my wife has it in her 2009 MDX, my parents have it in their 2009 Venza, and we have a garmin for when we rent cars on vacation. I have always thought the after market Navs were better in their software, until now. The 2010 X5d Nav is amazing. It is very intuitive and quick. It is hard drive based and the search function is very fast. You can search by name, category, etc. The best thing I like though is the little "green interstate signs" it posts when you need to take an exit, they are very similar to what you see on the road. It also has great graphics to show you what lane to be in. The resolution is beautiful. It still doesn't read the local street names, but will read the highway and interstate names. I am very impressed with the new Nav system. Well worth the extra money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JMav, that is great to know. Thanks for the input - it does help to know that at least I'll be getting a good Nav system if I end up having to get it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The problem with technology like NAV is that it goes out of date so quickly. If you don't believe me, look at the attention in this forum being given to the new iDrive, NAV and rear view cameras in the 2010 model. The 2009 versions instantly look quaint :)

FWIW I've purchased two X5s without NAV and I am very happy I did. An iPhone running Google Maps beats the BMW NAV every time -- especially after you get out of the car :p

BTW my favorite view of the iDrive screen is OFF.

Funf Dreisig
Nav does not go out of date fast. It is basic nav systems with no integration that go out of date.

90% of iDrive is iDrive. Nav is an add on module and regardless if it is installed, the screen, controller, etc. are still in the vehicle.

All technology changes and is improved. Not sure why nav would be singled out. We buy technology all the time that becomes outdated. TV's, iPOD, phones, etc.

If you already made the decision to buy/lease and expensive car costing $30k or more than a economy car, saving a few bucks on nav seems silly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts