Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 2010 X5 model with 76K miles from private owner. Any suggestions what to look for and with the expected reliability for the 2010 model.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Everyone will ask for the model/engine this X5 has before they can help too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,799 Posts
Are you a DIYer? Buying a 9,10 year old car is always a crapshoot.

·
Registered
773 Posts
First BMW? Especially if so get a PPI. Best $100-150 you'll ever spend.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
If your not a bimmerhead, def go ahead and have an independant bmw shop do a ppi, theyll be able to tell you if it needs belts,hoses,suspension components. 3.0 is a very solid dependable engine. Ive had 2-3 with that engine. a lil know how to turn a wrench w make ownerrship a pleasure when its brake and hose time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
X5 is a good car that is fun to drive, but maintenance can be expensive. I go to an annual free complete check-up (bmw flyer comes by mail) and then do DIY. The estimate was once $7k on the car with residual value of $15k...fixed DIY for $1k

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
13 Posts
Things to look at or ask:

1. When was the water pump changed (it's not a matter of if, it's a when and with 76k miles...)
2. When were the brakes/brake fluid changed. It's easy, but it will still cost about $400 for a decent set of rotors and pads.
3. Has the transmission fluid been changed?
4. Has the transfer case fluid been changed?
5. Check the belt tensioner, if the belt is not fully on it (i.e. the pulley is slightly bent away from the engine and belt is partially on it) replace it. Cheap fix - approx $75 for tensioner and new pulley.
6. Check the electronic e-brake. For some reason people like to pull the **** out of that and break the plastic housing.
7. Check the seal on the sunroof. Cheap fix, relatively easy, but it will leak if you don't watch out.
8. Oil leaks - they all leak, just try to find out where it's coming from. Seals around oil pans or the top of the engine is bad.

I have a 2008 X5 3.0, and it has been pretty awesome. Bought it with 80k and it now has 125k. All the things above, I have done - and I am not a mechanic, I just find information here from others who have gone before me. #1 is a bitch to get the pump out and the new one in. #'s 2-7 are fairly easy. If you have an oil leak from a seal, find a different one unless you really like misery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vin is 5UXFE4C55AL379795, assuming the last 7 characters are correct.
Code:
Type Code:     FE43
E Series:      E70 ()
Series:        X
Type:          GEFZG
Model:         X5 3.0SI (USA)
Steering:      LL
Doors:         5
Engine:        N52K
Displacement:  3.00
Power:         200
Drive:         ALLR
Transmission:  AUT
Colour:        BLACK SAPPHIRE METALLIC (475)
Upholstery:    SENSATEC 1/SCHWARZ (KCSW)
Prod Date:     2009-12-07

1 - 20 of 24 Posts