Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's time to add exhaust fluid. Has anyone used Blue Def fluid for their diesels? If so, any problems or should I stick with the oem stuff at the dealership even though it's more expensive.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can buy it DEF Walmart or at any automotive part store. You can also get it for a reasonable price at a VW dealer. BMW dealers usually sell at more than twice the price as anywhere else.

You have to be careful at not overfilling because it can damage the DEF tank sensors and clog the tank vent system. I usually add 2.5 gals to the passive tank at one time. If I remember correctly, the filler neck for the passive tank is the lowest one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just planning to put some into the reserve tank and wait about a month or so before my oil service so the dealers can fill it for free. Thanks for your help

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Hi All,

It's time to add exhaust fluid. Has anyone used Blue Def fluid for their diesels? If so, any problems or should I stick with the oem stuff at the dealership even though it's more expensive.

Thanks for your input

DEF is pretty much DEF, by any other name would be 30% Urea 70% distilled or demineralized water.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts