BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! Im sure there is a thread about this already but until i get used to this site id like to drop my concerns...

my car is currently at the dealer getting a sensor replaced thru my extended warranty...

but my initial concern was when its cold started ( not so cold in south Florida) first start in the morning my car seems to hold rpms in second gear at about 2-2200rpms under consistent light acceleration it will then spike up to 3k rpms and ask it shifts there is a noticeable buck to it like its in sport mode. It doesnt happen in other gears.

Also when i make a uturn there is some type of grinding/dragging noise coming from the front... my control arms were just replaced and the noise still persists, my mechanic mentioned a caliper that could be hanging?

the dealer mentioned they couldnt duplicate the kick just yet or hear the grinding noise but theyll try again once the new sensor is in. (forgot which sensor)

anyway i have 72,xxx miles on it

im assuming it may just need a transmission service if all else fails

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
Hello everybody! Im sure there is a thread about this already but until i get used to this site id like to drop my concerns...

my car is currently at the dealer getting a sensor replaced thru my extended warranty...

but my initial concern was when its cold started ( not so cold in south Florida) first start in the morning my car seems to hold rpms in second gear at about 2-2200rpms under consistent light acceleration it will then spike up to 3k rpms and ask it shifts there is a noticeable buck to it like its in sport mode. It doesnt happen in other gears.

Also when i make a uturn there is some type of grinding/dragging noise coming from the front... my control arms were just replaced and the noise still persists, my mechanic mentioned a caliper that could be hanging?

the dealer mentioned they couldnt duplicate the kick just yet or hear the grinding noise but theyll try again once the new sensor is in. (forgot which sensor)

anyway i have 72,xxx miles on it

im assuming it may just need a transmission service if all else fails
When the engine and transmission are cold, the car holds gears a bit longer to enhance warmup. Probably what you're feeling - shouldn't happen after a couple miles.

At 72K miles, you should definitely have your ATF replaced (been many arguments about "lifetime fill" that you can look at if you like.) Cost isn't cheap, $500-$750, includes removing pan, replacing filter (in pan) and seal, possibly mechatronic seal if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the engine and transmission are cold, the car holds gears a bit longer to enhance warmup. Probably what you're feeling - shouldn't happen after a couple miles.

At 72K miles, you should definitely have your ATF replaced (been many arguments about "lifetime fill" that you can look at if you like.) Cost isn't cheap, $500-$750, includes removing pan, replacing filter (in pan) and seal, possibly mechatronic seal if needed.
thank you for the reply...

id also like to add a noob questions.

my ac belt is done. im ordering a replacement but i want to replace all the belts at the same time....

where can I find a list of these belts? AC belt/ accessory belt - is that all i need? is the accessory belt the same as drive belt/serpentine

·
Registered
489 Posts
thank you for the reply...

id also like to add a noob questions.

my ac belt is done. im ordering a replacement but i want to replace all the belts at the same time....

where can I find a list of these belts? AC belt/ accessory belt - is that all i need? is the accessory belt the same as drive belt/serpentine
How do you know the A/C belt is done?
If you have not replaced the vibration damper pulley and you have over 70k miles, I would advise to replace at the same time as you replace the belts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know the A/C belt is done?
If you have not replaced the vibration damper pulley and you have over 70k miles, I would advise to replace at the same time as you replace the belts.
It's currently at bmw dealership getting sensor fixed that caused service engine light. But my SA said it stopped blowing cold air because my ac belt was deteriorated. I bought it with 46k miles. Never changed anything until the last two months : glow plugs, control arms, battery, harmonic balancer, now ac belt. But my original question, is the ac belt separate from drive belt? This is the part number she said was needed but I want to replace (both) belts. 6pk x 2063

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so just an update if anyone cares.... the dealership was able to duplicate my concern with the tranny kick this time around... they said id need a new transmission because the fluid levels are fine it just has to be something internal. unfortunately extended warranty didnt approve the job because 1. it doesnt happen everytime and 2. there isnt a fault code being thrown. so i have about 20k miles left on extended warranty so ill be sure to beat it up a bit

bought both ac and drive belt for $55 bucks installed for $90

1 - 7 of 7 Posts