BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a used diesel. I am wondering how they run in the winter. I live in Ontario Canada and the winters can get well below 0 degrees. Do they start ok do they have a good heater etc. Any comments welcome
Thanks Ray

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
I am thinking of buying a used diesel. I am wondering how they run in the winter. I live in Ontario Canada and the winters can get well below 0 degrees. Do they start ok do they have a good heater etc. Any comments welcome
We have talked about it a bit over on the diesel forum, where there is a lot of info you should scan: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=154

I do not remember anyone ever having a problem starting. The diesel car has an electric element in the hvac to help warm the cabin if needed.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much very helpful. I owned an old diesel rabbit (1979) bought it new, had to carry a second battery in the winter. Even stlill under -20 the glow plugs would not start the gelling fuel.
The addition of the heating element is a great idea, diesels do not heat up to the same extent as a gas engine car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.