Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 335i xDrive M-Sport Sedan that I am looking to swap out wheels/tires for. Am I going to run into any issues if I use non-OEM (225/40-18 front and 255/35-18 rear, according to TireRack) tires?

For context, I was planning to go with the same size tires (probably 225/40-18) on all 4 wheels. This is also primarily a commuter car, so not worried about the track or driving hard.

Thanks!

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
OEM tires are not required, and non-OEM are fine as long as you keep the tire diameters between the two axles reasonably close. If running staggered, keep the front and back diameters within 1% of each other and you'll be fine. If running a square setup, no problem.

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,813 Posts
As Zooks said you're fine as long as front to back diameters are as close as possible, so either set of tires sizes you listed will work...as long as they fit properly on the rims.
The tirerack sizes are for a staggered setup and your "planning to go with" sizes are a square setup - make sure you order the rims and tires that match. 225's fit on 7-8.5" wide rims but 7.5" is best and 255's fit on 8.5-10" wide rims but 9" is best, that gives a normal look (not pinched or stretched) and a little cushion to protect the rim if you brush a curb. Of course this varies slightly depending on manufacturers and you won't know for sure until you mount them.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nope. You don’t need OEM.
I have the same car, except mine is the coupe version. I’m running 235/45/R18 front and back. I also dumped the run flats. And I suggest doing the same so you can rotate the tires and increase life.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 5 of 5 Posts