BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 528i randomly starts a high pitched squeeling noise, and sometimes it seems to rock while in a Park position while the noise is happening. If I shut down the engine and restart it, the noise stops. It only happens every couple of weeks and not after a long trip or anything in particular that I can pinpoint. Can anyone please comment on this?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Does the frequency of the sound go higher once you come to a complete stop from rolling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to Bimmerfest! What year is your 528?
I bought it from a BMW dealer used. 65,000 miles, and I believe it is a 2011. The dealer owned it for year and then sold it to one owner prior to me buying the car. Pristine condition and an absolutely fabulous vehicle.

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
I've moved your question to our F10 5 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. Any guess on where the noise is coming from?

Tim

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have heard it in my 535i also. I read somewhere that it was normal and some people had experienced it but no harm so I started to ignore.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,768 Posts
I have heard it in my 535i also. I read somewhere that it was normal and some people had experienced it but no harm so I started to ignore.
I don't think so. I've had 2 F10 535i's. A high-pitched (loud) squealing sound is not normal. Can it be something simple like the belt or tensioner? Otherwise, something else with a bearing -- AC, generator, fan, etc. Does the sound change with engine speed (even in Park)?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If the whistle pitch noise continues after u pull dip stick out or if it stops. I forget which order but that's your pcv behind intake manifold might wanna change out ur disa valve too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If the whistle pitch noise continues after u pull dip stick out or if it stops. I forget which order but that's your pcv behind intake manifold might wanna change out ur disa valve too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What dipstick?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Bmw tech here,,,,if the noise starts up again,,,while the engine is idling,,,loosen the oil cap,,,,if the noise goes away ,,,,then the problem is the valve cover venting system is bad,,,,if you can't open the oil cap because there is to much suction on the cap,,,,,your problem is the valve cover,,,,,check out my blog page Bmwtechnician

1 - 12 of 12 Posts