BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I’ve been recently having some issues that I’m trying to wrap my head around and get some input on. Let’s start from the beginning:

I changed the cabin air filter and disconnected the battery, after reconnecting and turning on the engine, I let the AC blast on full speed. I noticed a plastic burning smell that went away shortly. A day after, I drove my car for a bit then noticed that it wouldn’t start. Turns out that my starter was shot, and I think in the process melted the positive terminal cable insulation (and disconnected itself) in the process. (See attached photo).
Well anyway, a starter and a rail pressure sensor later, my car finally started again. I fixed all the errors up, and very jankly connected the positive terminal wire after cleaning the terminals the best I can. I essentially wrapped the cable as much as I could around the thread of the bolt and bolted it down. (This is a temporary fix since I need my car at the moment, I have already ordered a new cable.)
My question here is, is it right to assume that the cause of this is the starter and replacing the cable won’t result in the same thing? I was looking into replacing the terminal as well but I see it’s riveted in so I have no idea how to approach that at the moment. My current solution seems to also have the terminal get hot when the battery is heavily charging, though at this point I don’t know if it’s reasonable amount of ‘hot’ since the alternator is pumping a lot of amps in the charging process. It seems to cool off once the amps drop below 10. So anyway, has anyone seen this situation before? Any tips?
 

Attachments

·
Munich Mark - 2014 535XD
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
Probably some strands got broken during maintenance or other leaving less overall to Xfer those Amps. I think these Cables are Aluminum as well so not quite as conductive as metal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably some strands got broken during maintenance or other leaving less overall to Xfer those Amps. I think these Cables are Aluminum as well so not quite as conductive as metal.
See that’s what I was thinking. I recently did spark plugs and ignition coils and it’s not the first time I moved that wire around. I was thinking its internal structure got damaged with time.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top