BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal... Family members car. Sounds like something is rattling in the steering wheel. Horn isn't working, steering wheel control buttons aren't working and neither is the cruise control. Restraint fault also popped up around the same time.

I have experience with an e60 '07 525xi, but never had to diy any steering wheel issues. I've read plenty of older model posts dealing with the clock or coil spring issues, whichever you prefer to call it... But couldn't find any info with the f10 series. Just hoping to get your thoughts, opinions, etc. on next moves. Car is past warranty, so if I can diy I would rather do so. Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would remove the Air Bag (it is pretty easy) and inspect if all wire harnesses are intact. If they are, you will have to remove the steering wheel (1 nut removal) to inspect the 'clock ring' for been damaged. You should disconnect the battery at least for 15 minutes prior to disconnecting the Air Bag but it is primarily not to trigger Restraining Fault but in your case it is already activated and won't make too much difference. I still would disconnect it to be on the safe side.
If you have a regular or Sport steering Wheel the hole inside the steering wheel exactly at 6 o'clock when straight is for Air Bag removal. Just take a screwdriver with a long enough bit, insert it in the hole and push until Air Bag comes off from its guides. Do find the lever inside by poking before performing the push. If your Air Bag is round it will be more difficult as 2 levers from opposite sides must be pushed simultaneously. Do a search on Google for more pictured descriptions on this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would remove the Air Bag (it is pretty easy) and inspect if all wire harnesses are intact. If they are, you will have to remove the steering wheel (1 nut removal) to inspect the 'clock ring' for been damaged. You should disconnect the battery at least for 15 minutes prior to disconnecting the Air Bag but it is primarily not to trigger Restraining Fault but in your case it is already activated and won't make too much difference. I still would disconnect it to be on the safe side.
If you have a regular or Sport steering Wheel the hole inside the steering wheel exactly at 6 o'clock when straight is for Air Bag removal. Just take a screwdriver with a long enough bit, insert it in the hole and push until Air Bag comes off from its guides. Do find the lever inside by poking before performing the push. If your Air Bag is round it will be more difficult as 2 levers from opposite sides must be pushed simultaneously. Do a search on Google for more pictured descriptions on this.
Thanks... There's a youtube on the removal. Will have the car tomorrow and over the weekend to take a look at.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yep, the youtube diy is great. The center cable is for the airbag. The other two sets towards the left side are for the control clusters and horn. It's a bit strange that it was working one day and all of a sudden these components don't work...cables normally just don't fall out but it's obvious that something inside there snapped. When I installed my last steering wheel, my steering wheel controls didn't work. It just ended up that I forgot to push in the control cluster cables during the install. It's pretty simple when you see it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the youtube diy is great. The center cable is for the airbag. The other two sets towards the left side are for the control clusters and horn. It's a bit strange that it was working one day and all of a sudden these components don't work...cables normally just don't fall out but it's obvious that something inside there snapped. When I installed my last steering wheel, my steering wheel controls didn't work. It just ended up that I forgot to push in the control cluster cables during the install. It's pretty simple when you see it.
Hoping it is as easy as just a disconnected cable, lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I need to do anything special once I reconnect the battery in these f10 models? That other dudes post has me worried now!

Also, update... After getting a clearer picture of what happened from my family member, it goes like this. Needed to make a turn while driving, steering wheel was all the sudden stiff and wouldn't turn easily, cranked the wheel to make the turn and heard something snap/click and then wheel worked as normal, but fault lights popped up.

Gonna pull the steering wheel apart tomorrow, so any other advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do I need to do anything special once I reconnect the battery in these f10 models? That other dudes post has me worried now!

Also, update... After getting a clearer picture of what happened from my family member, it goes like this. Needed to make a turn while driving, steering wheel was all the sudden stiff and wouldn't turn easily, cranked the wheel to make the turn and heard something snap/click and then wheel worked as normal, but fault lights popped up.

Gonna pull the steering wheel apart tomorrow, so any other advice, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.
Nope, just reconnect the battery and you're good to go.
Strange, hopefully it's not something in the steering column.
1. Make sure you unlock doors/disarm alarm before you disconnect the battery. 1st time I forgot and the alarm went crazy.
2. after disconnecting the battery, wait about 30 minutes until you start working. I just put a towel or glove over the (+) connector just in case it doesn't accidentally touch anything.
3. Put screwdriver into bottom of steering wheel to push clamps back. It may take a few tries because sometimes one clamp will unlock and not the others.
4. Use flathead screwdriver to dislodge main airbag cable. Other 2 cables, you just pull gently. Done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent... Yeah, I always cover the + connector, usually with a sock wrapped a few times over, lol. Appreciate the reminder about unlocking all the doors!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update... Clock ring looks like it has a litle red plastic piece broken off and sounds like a wire is running loose inside the mechanism. Anyone know any other ways to diagnose this clock ring? Guessing the broken red piece isn't a good sign.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's gotta be shot... Put it all back together and went for a drive. When the wheel is cranked all the way to the left or right you get that clicking, broken wire flapping around and around sound. Now to find a replacement!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YES

Reset your time & date.
Lol... Yeah, just found that out.

Also, looking for a replacement clock spring and it looks like all second hand ones have that little red piece broken in the same spot. Looked at a brand new one and it had what looks like a larger red plastic piece locking the mechanism in place. My question is is that just used during shipping/etc. to make sure everything stays in place before install? Hope one of you can help so I can order soon, thanks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, found a replacement... Last question, Do I need to do anything as far as coding, etc. once the replacement clock spring is installed or will it be plug 'n play? If I need to recode could one of you please tell me everything I'll need. Thanks again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Replacement clock spring installed and faults cleared for driver restraint through Carly app w/ gen2 wifi adapter. 100% success! Total bill was $166 for the replacement part on ebay. This was super easy to do, plug 'n play with Carly. Guessing it would have been at least a grand for the service/part at the stealership!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts