BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post so I appreciate any insight you guys can give me.

My 535xi has serious issues with my keys and locking/unlocking- (primarily during the summer when temperatures are 70+) when I unlock my car, it automatically locks itself within a second. It then proceed to keep trying to lock even when the car is already locked. I just hear a clicking noise of the car continuing to try and lock itself. It does that for about 30 seconds, and then I hear the unlock noise but the car remains locked.

Sometimes, the lock itself gets jammed in the lock position when the door is open.

I have, in some instances, received an error that the key wasn't recognized but the car still turns on. Then other times it tells me the car isn't on when it clearly is.

Anyone have this issue before with this model? The dealer said there are no errors when they run diagnostics and I'm about to lose my mind with this. :mad:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you have a second key? If so, does it act the same way? When was the last time the battery inside the key itself was changed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, second key also behaves the same way.

Batteries were changed recently as I thought that could be the issue- unfortunately, same results.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Obviously the problem seems to be in the car itself then. Maybe try your luck at another dealer and hopefully get a better resolution.

·
Registered
296 Posts
From what I have read even a system scan may not give the correct information or even false information so I agree that another dealer may be the way to go. Lock problems can be a physically bad lock actuator, bad antenna diversity module, (there are several antennas in various places in the car - the ADM controls all signals), even bad GM (General Module). Need to find the right BMW tech willing to go the extra mile for a solution.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Good luck with this. I was having similar (not exactly the same) problem with my 2013. Car wouldn't recognize the key to unlock k the car until after several tries. Then the car wouldn't recognize the key to start until I held it close to the steering column. Then when I got out of the car I would hear some electronic noises coming form somewhere near the passenger trunk (I think). The problem was intermittent and the dealer first said they could find no fault until just before i came to pick it up an they were trying to move the car outside and it wouldn't start. They ordered a new receiver unit for the car and replaced it. that didn't fix the problem, so they reloaded the car's software, which also didn't work. they then ordered me a new set of keys. Before the keys were delivered the problem seemed to have resolved itself and it hasn't come back, thankfully.

I don't think you will be able to troubleshoot this on the forums and will likely spend some time and money at the dealership (sadly). These are great cars, but they are complicated machines that are difficult to fix. That is why I lease mine and turn them in before the warranty expires. Not a cheap option either, but at least my cost is wrapped up in one payment and I have no additional costs for repairs that could cost thousands, after the warranty expires. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts