Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I've set my heart on a 2011 760LI with over 100k miles.

The car is a beautiful and with a 6.0L V12 under the hood, it's making serious power. I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure by even looking at a car of this magnitude? What needs to be serviced right off the bat? What breaks at this age?

Also, what kind of cash offer should I be making for this?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Keep in mind that you're buying a $120k~ car that was 101k miles, and been a V12 its probally loaded so lots of electronics and sensors that might go bad in the long run, the N74 management system is very complex it has 2 computer one controlling each cylinder bank also plethora of sensors, the mechanical aspects is basically 2x N54 glued together direct injected and 2x turbo nice thing is that it does not have valvetronic so its a little simpler in design, transmission is ZF 8hp70 its 8 speed trans and is quite robust trans.

What needs to be done
Well assuming no history provided
Engine Oil/Filter (unk, replace Regardless)
Air Filter (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Rear Diff oil (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Brake Rotors (Overdue 25k miles ago)
Brake pad (per CSB)
Transmission fluid/service (Overdue 40k mi ago)
Coolant (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Waterpump (Inspect serviceability, recommend change)
Cabin filter (unk, replace regardless)

How handy are you?
Well how much can do your own service, if you rely on a mechanic then you'll your cost of maintenance is going to be high especially when something on that car breaks.

If you're handy what tools do you have?
Minimum for these F0x series BMW is best to get a hold of a diagnostic computer so you dont just throw parts at it, and its also required if you were to replace certain electronic component, basic hand tools should suffice most repairs and all maintenance.

Bottom line is the F0x 7 series is inherently expansive when comes to servicing and repair, the v12 are even more so expansive, as far as reliability I'm not too sure V12's there aren't many members with V12 so not much info are floating around perhaps 760 forum member can chime on that aspect, as far as offer...not enough info provided to begin speculating.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep in mind that you're buying a $120k~ car that was 101k miles, and been a V12 its probally loaded so lots of electronics and sensors that might go bad in the long run, the N74 management system is very complex it has 2 computer one controlling each cylinder bank also plethora of sensors, the mechanical aspects is basically 2x N54 glued together direct injected and 2x turbo nice thing is that it does not have valvetronic so its a little simpler in design, transmission is ZF 8hp70 its 8 speed trans and is quite robust trans.

What needs to be done
Well assuming no history provided
Engine Oil/Filter (unk, replace Regardless)
Air Filter (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Rear Diff oil (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Brake Rotors (Overdue 25k miles ago)
Brake pad (per CSB)
Transmission fluid/service (Overdue 40k mi ago)
Coolant (Overdue 51k miles ago)
Waterpump (Inspect serviceability, recommend change)
Cabin filter (unk, replace regardless)

How handy are you?
Well how much can do your own service, if you rely on a mechanic then you'll your cost of maintenance is going to be high especially when something on that car breaks.

If you're handy what tools do you have?
Minimum for these F0x series BMW is best to get a hold of a diagnostic computer so you dont just throw parts at it, and its also required if you were to replace certain electronic component, basic hand tools should suffice most repairs and all maintenance.

Bottom line is the F0x 7 series is inherently expansive when comes to servicing and repair, the v12 are even more so expansive, as far as reliability I'm not too sure V12's there aren't many members with V12 so not much info are floating around perhaps 760 forum member can chime on that aspect, as far as offer...not enough info provided to begin speculating.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I have access to a dealer only sale, so I can purchase it at wholesale pricing.

If I give you the last 7 of the vin, you can pull up the options and likely give me a decent ballpark offer to make? [ - CY40224]

I can handle filters on my own, that's easy. I also do the oil change on my 335i, so with more caution I can likely do it on this thing. As for the computer, I have Carly and access to a high end SnapOn scanner so that's of no issue.

The services like brakes etc I'll leave up to whether or not it truly needs it, instead of just replacing per the service schedule. My main fear is engine/trans/dif/turbo problems as those are going to be very costly.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck. I want to see how this turns out. I bet when it's up and running it's a beast....
Ever since I heard a BMW V12 roar I've had my heart set on getting one.

Still mulling it over, repair costs are going to be high and considering it's mileage odds won't be in my favor.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
there not in your favor, usually dealer only auctions are the terds too. I bet the car doesnt run right... Buttttt doesnt hurt to look.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. I have access to a dealer only sale, so I can purchase it at wholesale pricing.

If I give you the last 7 of the vin, you can pull up the options and likely give me a decent ballpark offer to make? [ - CY40224]

I can handle filters on my own, that's easy. I also do the oil change on my 335i, so with more caution I can likely do it on this thing. As for the computer, I have Carly and access to a high end SnapOn scanner so that's of no issue.

The services like brakes etc I'll leave up to whether or not it truly needs it, instead of just replacing per the service schedule. My main fear is engine/trans/dif/turbo problems as those are going to be very costly.
Neither one of those diagnostic tools are going to get you much further than resetting the CBS data on your car. This sounds like you're going to more than likely get burned.

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neither one of those diagnostic tools are going to get you much further than resetting the CBS data on your car. This sounds like you're going to more than likely get burned.
Well, the snapon tool is a professional level tool. I can access any module on the car, etc so that's not a concern.

Regardless, the consensus seems to be it's a bad idea. So ill heed the advice and move on. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Well, the snapon tool is a professional level tool. I can access any module on the car, etc so that's not a concern.

Regardless, the consensus seems to be it's a bad idea. So ill heed the advice and move on. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Access is one thing, functionality, calibrations, and programming are another. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Get a 13 or newer 750 or a 740. You'll thank me later lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts