BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

A few months ago, I purchased a 2011 328i. I also purchased and aftermarket Kenwood DNX890HD radio. I installed the radio using the correct wiring harness, dash kit, antenna wire, and heater control relocation kit. The install was fairly simple, and the radio looks great, in the car. However, I do have an issue. When I turn the car off, and then turn the car on, all of my presets, and selections disappear. The radio goes into a reset state. I took the vehicle to a professional installer, just to make sure that I did the install correctly. He says that the install looks good. I explained what was happening, so he took the radio out, using a wiring harness from a Ford Expedition, he installed the radio into the Expedition, and simulated what I was doing. The radio never lost the presets, while in the Ford. We did some experimentation, with the radio back in the 328. When I would shut the car off, the radio continued to hold its presets and memory for 10 minutes (we tested different time intervals). After about 10 minutes, we would hear a click come from the vehicle. After that audible click, when we were turn the vehicle on, the radio would reset. It seems like the 328 cuts off the constant power to the radio (yellow wire). The installer said that he heard that this could happen in these types of vehicles. For protection, the car senses that the radio is drawing too much power, and cuts the constant power to the aftermarket radio. First of all, has anyone else had that experience? Secondly, is there a way around it?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know that in my 128i, the accessory outlet will power my air compressor for a few minutes after the car has been running but only for a few minutes. After that, before I put a outlet directly on the battery, it would turn off. It sounds like you have tapped into the same power source as is used for the accessory outlet. You need a constant hot signal. I don't know where to find that in the fuse box but if you can think of anything that has to be on all the time (BMW clock and/or radio?), it should be the source you need. (my air compressor pulls 15+ amps - I don't think it's the draw, however, I think it's a preset time)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts