BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

I have 2011 BMW 528i Series model. Water got spillover close to iDrive Knob.

At first "Press down" button didn't work and "Up-Down" scroller use to work.
Very nextday Press down didn't work. Up-Down scroller stopped working.

Waited 3 days expecting it will comeback by it's own. Unfortunately it did not!

I went through some Bimmerfest threads. seems like we have to change the knob. Found few in ebay, before i go for it.. i have below questions, can any expertise give advice!

Is there any fix with the existing one " Like resetting with the some controls"?
or Can someone be able to rectify? like BMW technician?

if we replacing with any other used knob controller, does it need to go through any programming again?

can i migrate to iDrive touch controller? what are the chances!

Appreciate your response
Krish

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine was jamming (you could move it, it just wasn't smooth like before) and dealer replaced it under warranty. They said it required re-programiing software (which didn't make me happy, as it wiped all coding). Works well now -- but I'm not sure if it is a DIY.

Jon

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm assuming you have killed the circuits inside the iDrive controller. Usually buttons don't just die because of water unless they have been oxidized. When electricity flows through a wet surface like metal contacts, it will cause oxidization (white powder stuff) which will prevent it from making contact. If water damaged the little computer inside the iDrive then that's even worse. I don't know much about the programing part so hopefully someone else can shed some light.

And no you can't change it to the touch version because then you would have to change your entire computer/navigation to the NBT version. You have the CIC model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @sebseb and @Fore Quick reply. I'm not sure abt the Oxidization inside!.

Hopefully i am expecting any BMW used control knob should work! as that would have been already programmed.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
While we're on the subject...

Does anyone know how to remove just the knob? I'm looking at this to switch to the larger knob.

edit:
I just found the instructions on the auction page. I'll be picking this up...
Let me know how your install goes. I might switch mine as well. If I can (2011 535i)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Will do. They say delivery is anywhere between Jan 11 and Mar 5!?!?!?! I sure hope it's closer to next Wed!
China to US is usually pretty fast for us West Coast guys. Although, nothing speeds up customs. I am also curious on that seller, I may pickup the Charge and Boost pipe they offer for our cars.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
China to US is usually pretty fast for us West Coast guys. Although, nothing speeds up customs. I am also curious on that seller, I may pickup the Charge and Boost pipe they offer for our cars.
Got a "shipped" email today. Let the waiting begin!! Their feedback is pretty good.

+1, never thought the existing knob was a problem, but would like to see what you think of the larger knob.
IMHO the larger knob just looks nicer. I've preferred the larger knobs in the loaners I have had. Just seems more substantial like the thicker steering wheel. The good news is I can always switch back and it only cost $35.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Got a "shipped" email today. Let the waiting begin!! Their feedback is pretty good.

IMHO the larger knob just looks nicer. I've preferred the larger knobs in the loaners I have had. Just seems more substantial like the thicker steering wheel. The good news is I can always switch back and it only cost $35.
I see a different seller has it in silver as well. I believe the link you had the cover was more like the ceramic color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Repl...ash=item4d503022c7:g:T4MAAOSwojRYSmst&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
3,809 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
did you consider a reboot

waiting for car to rest with trunk open for 15 m. then disconnect battery cables from battery,then reattach a few minutes later, it fixes whole list of electronic glitches of prevoius e 39 bmws

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
+1, never thought the existing knob was a problem, but would like to see what you think of the larger knob.
Got it today and installed in about 2 minutes...

The larger ring just slips over smaller, stock ring. I have to give it some time to be sure, but so far I like it. It seems the top insert drags a little on the ring, but that may go away with time or I may pop the top off and use a conditioner/treatment on the plastic.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Got it today and installed in about 2 minutes...

The larger ring just slips over smaller, stock ring. I have to give it some time to be sure, but so far I like it. It seems the top insert drags a little on the ring, but that may go away with time or I may pop the top off and use a conditioner/treatment on the plastic.
Cool. Can you post a pic or 2?

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Looks Good. I may give this a go. From the pics I've seen, the larger knob just "clips" over the existing knob after the top of the existing knob is removed allowing the illumination of the arrows. Correct?
That would be correct. I figured for less than $35 I couldn't go wrong!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts