BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if I can replace the oil filter without draining the oil from the crankcase?

I drained the oil and found out the filter was incorrect. So, I just put the old one back in and refilled the engine. I've ordered the correct part and I'm hoping I can replace it without starting over! This was the 1st time changing the oil since I purchased the car, so I didn't know it was the wrong filter..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, you can replace just the filter without draining and replacing the oil. In the process of replacing just the filter you will lose a small amount (less than 1/4 quart) of oil, so you will have to top off the oil level when you are done to get back to 100% oil level.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! That will save me a lot of time and money.

I bought the filter on eBay, it said it would fit, it was the same one that fit my e60 545i. I should have known that BMW wouldn't use the same filter that they used for there older car. Thanks again..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, you can replace just the filter without draining and replacing the oil. In the process of replacing just the filter you will lose a small amount (less than 1/4 quart) of oil, so you will have to top off the oil level when you are done to get back to 100% oil level.
Why is that? I thought it would drain plenty if you remove it as it's under the engine.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Probably the way the oil galleries run to the oil filter from the oil pump. It's not directly connected with the oil sump, it's above it, as I was hoping it would be.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that diagram shows it well. I'm using logic here but I would think it is sucked up from the sump to though the pump to the filter then to the galleries to the heads, where it drains back down the the sump. When you pull the filter, you only lose what is in the filter and housing and trapped oil above the filter. Just a guess though. :dunno:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Correct, you only lose the volume of oil in the filter housing and what was absorbed in the old filter media. The only way you would lose the oil in the sump is if you left the engine running while you tried to remove the filter. That would make a good youtube video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts