BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 F10 535i. I love this car and plan to do some upgrades to it. First things first, I want to update the iDrive system.

In reading many blogs, this is fairly easy for newer than 2011 systems through the USB port in the center console and the "system update" on the monitor. My 535i does not have either capabilities. No USB in the center console (only has one in the glove box) and no menu that says System Update.

Can I update my system myself and if so, how? If not, any references to log in and update it?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I just bought a 2011 F10 535i. I love this car and plan to do some upgrades to it. First things first, I want to update the iDrive system.

In reading many blogs, this is fairly easy for newer than 2011 systems through the USB port in the center console and the "system update" on the monitor. My 535i does not have either capabilities. No USB in the center console (only has one in the glove box) and no menu that says System Update.

Can I update my system myself and if so, how? If not, any references to log in and update it?
That particular update you are speaking of (usb port and system update on the monitor) is an update for the bluetooth functionality only. It does not update anything other than the ability for the car to handle new(er) bluetooth phones.

If that is what you are talking about (which is completely different than "coding") check to see if you have a USB port in the glove compartment.

You also dont mention if you have navigation, etc. "Coding" the car is something completely different than the bluetooth system update, and is done through the ODBII port on the car, with a laptop, and specific software. Check the coding forum on bimmerfest for the details on that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding jjrandorin. I should have been more detailed with my iDrive capabilities and what I am interested in.

First, I don't know what system or software generation I am using. There is a usb in the glove box but none in the center console. I do have Navigation (maps are really out of date), backup camera and Bluetooth phone capability (for calling ONLY - no audio Bluetooth).

I wanted to update my iDrive Bluetooth system in hopes to add audio Bluetooth streaming.

Ultimately what I'd LOVE to do involves more coding. I'm not sure if it's something I can do myself as a novice or something i need to have someone more advanced do for me. I'd like to do the following:

- add digital speed to front cluster
- auto fold mirrors when car locked
- enable DvD in motion
Roll windows up with key fob
- and most of all, I'd like to mirror my iPhone to the display. I know this is a hardware install. This is the reason I don't really care to update my Nav maps. I'd like to mirror WAZE to my screen using this only. I could also mirror Spotify for music. I have found a couple of 5g boxes that are available. One from Bimmer-Tech and another from Nivik (I think). I have never taken my dash apart and not sure how this is done but as I understand it, this systems just plugs into the backup camera through additional AV ports?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Contact Bimmer-tech and see what upgrades you are going to need. I believe since you don't have Bluetooth streaming, your car was produced prior to Sept 2010, when combox was added. My guess is your going to need some hardware upgrades to gain the functionality you are seeking.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Contact Bimmer-tech and see what upgrades you are going to need. I believe since you don't have Bluetooth streaming, your car was produced prior to Sept 2010, when combox was added. My guess is your going to need some hardware upgrades to gain the functionality you are seeking.
I agree with SN, if you want to mirror your phone screen, you will need a hardware solution, and the best one I have read about here is the one from bimmer-tech. I am not a DIY type on the hardware front (I do know how to code but just do my and my wifes BMWs).

Not sure if the software updates will give you bluetooth streaming, but are you sure you cant do the software update through the USB in the glovebox? I dont quite remember what I had to do on my wifes 2008 528...

We sold that car in 2013 so I dont remember, sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts