BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month, on two occasion, the transmission has made a sudden jolt and "clunk" feeling when coasting following initial acceleration. The car is 11 months old and has 10,000 miles. The problem was not noticed last winter when the weather was cold. Has anyone experienced this problem? Today, it felt as though the transmission was ready to drop out of the car. Perhaps the eight speed transmission provides too many gears to have a truly smooth operating car.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So it has never done this before? Just two times within the last month?

Are you sure this is not the DSC/DSC,ABS working on a slippery road?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, only two times, and the roads were not wet. It happens when I take my foot off the accelerator and coast after taking off from a stop. The transmission is between the middle gears. Seems very strange, so I placed a call to my SA and awaiting his reply. What's really odd is that most of the strange break-in shifting patterns disappeared after a few months of ownership. I really liked the transmission in my 335xi...it was near perfection.

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,677 Posts
I've noticed this on my 535i a couple of times as well, 14000 miles. I think it's kind of typical in most auto transmissions if the trans is just ready to shift and you lift off the throttle. It's like it can't stop the shift and then has nowhere to go. I don't think it's a true problem, we're just catching it just at the wrong time. To me, this 8-spd tranny is perfection. It has totally spoiled me, and I am coming from having owned about 5 6MT's. The immediacy of the downshifts and lack of hunting is superb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just discussed this issue with my SA. He mentioned the software update for the 535, but as indicated in another thread, BMW has not developed an update for the 528. They have other documented complaints from 528 owners and will just add my experience to the list.

For the most part, the transmission is really smooth, and the fuel mileage is great. More than likely, you have the software update for the 535 that resolves the delay and hard shifting issues.

I guess BMW will eventually develop a similar update for the 2011 528.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just discussed this issue with my SA. He mentioned the software update for the 535, but as indicated in another thread, BMW has not developed an update for the 528. They have other documented complaints from 528 owners and will just add my experience to the list.

For the most part, the transmission is really smooth, and the fuel mileage is great. More than likely, you have the software update for the 535 that partially resolves the delay and hard shifting issues.

I guess BMW will eventually develop a similar update for the 2011 528.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All - I just bought a 2011 f10 550 xDrive with 25K miles and I seem to have some of these symptoms! For the most part, I experience vibration in the seat/floor and gas pedal as I approach 30mph and keeps getting worst until about 50 and seems to get much better or even go away completely passed 60mph. I took it to the dealership 3 times already and every time they say it's the tires. Changed the tires but the issue still remains.

How can I tell if the vibration is from the tires or the transmission, I hardly ever feel the steering wheel vibrates only in the throttle and seat. I keep reading about a software update for the f10 transmision, does it fix anything or is it a myth?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(Temporary) SOLVED

Found this on another forum: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

1) hit start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
2) then press the accelerator down to the floor for 5 sec
3) then hit start button once to turn off power
4) then remove foot from accelerator
5) then waite for 2 minutes
4) then start the engine like normal and try it out!

Tried it and it surprisingly works. Immediately I can feel the transmission being more responsive. On the downside, it also feels temporary. I now reset it roughly once a week (when I feel the gear jerking - normally between gears 1-2-3).

Try it out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.