BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I had found this site before placing my order last week, but hoping to get some answers now.

I was comparing three diesel models (Touareg, X5 and Q7) and ended up deciding on the X5, even though I could not find a diesel model around to test drive (drove the x35i) - and even though I LOVED the Touareg's interior and ergonomics. So I opted for Premium, tech, rear climate, and cold weather packages, multi-contour seats, roof rails (black on black).

My questions are:

1. Twin-kidney grill color - will it be black or titanium? bmwusa site shows the vehicle with titanium grill for the diesel model, but my dealer says that I need to add the sport package to get titanium, otherwise I get black. Who is right?

2. Could not try the multi-contour seats on an X5 but tried them on a 5 series. The option on the X5 lists "adjustable sides" which I could not experience on the 5 series. Are multi-contour seats the same across models? If so, I don't think the description is accurate. Also - do people think they are worth it (for me I like the thigh support since I am 6'4" but I can live without them)?

3. I have not added the USB adapter, thinking I can control my music on my iPhone. Am I making a mistake?

4. Finally, I love the 19inch rims on the sport package, but don't think I would like the stiffer suspension as much. Any thoughts on that? I know I can probably get my answer on that from other threads.

Thanks - look forward to officially being an owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A friend of mine is driving the Touareg and you're right, the X5 and the Touareg are nice on the inside. He likes the engine of my 35d and it's very smooth gearbox, while i admire the touchscreen of his entertainment unit. I think it is a give and take among the two.
The Q7 is funny looking outside, like a half car slid underneath a SUV. I used to drive an Audi A6 4F when it was brand new in 2005 and Audi's interior is pretty sweet. The GPS of my wife's A3 is working better than the one from the X5. They did a test in Germany wrt to GPS, cheap mobile ones, maps and last but not least a BMW GPS...guess who came in LAST: BMW!!!

2. I'm 6'3 and test drove a 5 series with comfort seats. After driving for 8 hrs straight, i was still relaxed upon arrival and that's why i ordered them for our X5! Definately worth it...

3. Bluetooth is sucking every battery dry fast, the USB connector may be able to charge your phone/iPod while being connected to your system. I don't want to miss it...If you got short trips, you may not need it.

4. 19" rubber is more expensive while 18" and 20" are more 'common' sizes and cheaper. I wouldn't recomment to go for 19" or 21" rims. We got the 18" and 20" now (winter-summer) and if i have to replace them one day, it'll be quite a few hundred dollar less. Maybe you got better connections or tyrerack is cheaper, i can only tell how it's over here in Europe...

·
Registered
395 Posts
See my responses below in bold.

Wish I had found this site before placing my order last week, but hoping to get some answers now.

I was comparing three diesel models (Touareg, X5 and Q7) and ended up deciding on the X5, even though I could not find a diesel model around to test drive (drove the x35i) - and even though I LOVED the Touareg's interior and ergonomics. So I opted for Premium, tech, rear climate, and cold weather packages, multi-contour seats, roof rails (black on black).

My questions are:

1. Twin-kidney grill color - will it be black or titanium? bmwusa site shows the vehicle with titanium grill for the diesel model, but my dealer says that I need to add the sport package to get titanium, otherwise I get black. Who is right?

I'm pretty sure the premium gets the titanium grille. I have the Sport Activity and my grille is black.

2. Could not try the multi-contour seats on an X5 but tried them on a 5 series. The option on the X5 lists "adjustable sides" which I could not experience on the 5 series. Are multi-contour seats the same across models? If so, I don't think the description is accurate. Also - do people think they are worth it (for me I like the thigh support since I am 6'4" but I can live without them)?

Can't help you here as I don't have the seats, plus I'm much shorter :bawling: so seating position has not been a problem for me.

3. I have not added the USB adapter, thinking I can control my music on my iPhone. Am I making a mistake?

Are you planning to run your music exclusively thru your phone? Better off ordering it than to regret later on

4. Finally, I love the 19inch rims on the sport package, but don't think I would like the stiffer suspension as much. Any thoughts on that? I know I can probably get my answer on that from other threads.

FYI, sport pkg w/19's will not receive the wider fender flares. So, if the wider wheel stance is what you're looking for the 20's are a MUST. However, you can add the wider fender flares thru aftermarket for $2-300.

While the ride on 20's will undoubtedly by more harsh than 19's, much of the harshness has to do w/the run-flat tires itself, which will be an issue w/19's anyway. Many people have reported a better ride after switching out the RFT's for non-rfts.

Make sure you add the spare tire option, if you don't have 3rd row seats.

Thanks - look forward to officially being an owner.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm pretty sure roof rails are now a ~$100 option. It used to be std on premium and above but this was changed around September/October IIRC.

The same type of BS occured for the rear cargo cover as well, where only certain trims had it included and others were a option as well. Damm bean-counters at BMW.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
1. All Diesel grills are titanium color - with or without sport package. (Yes, it's confusing)

2. Much to the chagrin of the folks on the F10 (5 series) board, BMW cheaped out and their comfort seats no longer get the adjustable backrest width. My X5 35D (built in October) still has them. Probably only a matter of time till the beancounters delete them on the X5's as well.

3. If you don't have the USB adapter, the song info will not come up on the iDrive screen, nor can you use the steering wheel controls to change tracks. Plus the new Combox feature is really, really cool. Get the adapter - it is short money and you will kick yourself if you don't have it.

4. The suspension is EXACTLY the same regardless of whether or not you get the sport activity package and regardless of your choice of wheels. The only different suspension is the Adaptive Drive, which is now a stand-alone option. So get whichever wheels you want. The Sport activity package also includes the sport steering wheel (sooooooo much nicer than the standard wheel, and it's the thing you come in contact with most); reduced pricing on the comfort seats, the anthracite (black) headliner which looks STUNNING with some interiors, odd with others; and different exterior window trim (take it or leave it).

Although not in your post, I STRONGLY recommend you get the $150 spare tire - many who forgot to check that box wish they had, and wind up paying 3 times as much to have the dealer add it later.

If you like music, think about getting the Premium Sound as the base system is marginal (and that's being charitable). Again, if you search through the threads here, you will fine many members who wish they had gotten the Premium Sound.

I would also sit in an X5 that has the black interior and the (non-Sport package) gray headliner to see if you like it. I think it is "okay" with black, but IMHO the anthracite is much nicer. (OTOH I do not like Anthracite with the all beige interior, as I think it is jarring).

Welcome to the Fest - you are going to love that diesel!

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
Then why are they listed under standard feature.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Cont...yMJjVU6YENDd0TFmLNgzLwuevLDIohvtG0lO8A9N8Cbo=

The only reason I m asking is because I ordered mine last week and I was under the impression that it is inculded but the posts here shows that the folks are adding them as optional equipment.
Did you order the Base, Sport Activity, Premium or Diesel X5? The levels of standard equipment are different. And BMW has this nasty habit of changing things on the fly. My X5 35D (October build) included the cargo cover (an extra cost option on the Base and Sport Activity), but I had to pay extra for the roof rails.

If you want the utility of hte roof rails, make 100% certain your X5 is built with them, as it costs 5 times as much to have the dealer add them after you take delivery.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get the multi-contour seats and if you are going to get the ipod adapter get it with the preimum sound. It much better than the base sound system. Roof rail are extra on the X5d and worth ordering for the factory (cheaper than dealer installed) especially if you use them for loading skis or snowboards. If this is a purchase go with the spare tire as mention in a previous post. I'll be dumping the run-flats soon. If you just order it you should still have time to change the order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all.

Looks like the roof rails are standard on the 35i premium and 35i sport activity, but optional in the other trims including the diesel I ordered.

@two-five-boy, why get the spare if I have run-flat tires? I have gotten a flat 3 times in the past 17 years and all times the damage was repairable - meaning the tire did not shred to pieces.

@DocComix and @two-five-boy, I was thinking to use the auxiliary input that comes standard to connect my iPhone for music, rather than use the bluetooth that would drain my battery. So I guess I am trying to figure out if the functionality of selecting a playlist over the iDrive is worth $400 for the USB port.

Is there a way to upload music to the hard drive without a USB?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. All Diesel grills are titanium color - with or without sport package. (Yes, it's confusing)

2. Much to the chagrin of the folks on the F10 (5 series) board, BMW cheaped out and their comfort seats no longer get the adjustable backrest width. My X5 35D (built in October) still has them. Probably only a matter of time till the beancounters delete them on the X5's as well.

3. If you don't have the USB adapter, the song info will not come up on the iDrive screen, nor can you use the steering wheel controls to change tracks. Plus the new Combox feature is really, really cool. Get the adapter - it is short money and you will kick yourself if you don't have it.

4. The suspension is EXACTLY the same regardless of whether or not you get the sport activity package and regardless of your choice of wheels. The only different suspension is the Adaptive Drive, which is now a stand-alone option. So get whichever wheels you want. The Sport activity package also includes the sport steering wheel (sooooooo much nicer than the standard wheel, and it's the thing you come in contact with most); reduced pricing on the comfort seats, the anthracite (black) headliner which looks STUNNING with some interiors, odd with others; and different exterior window trim (take it or leave it).

Although not in your post, I STRONGLY recommend you get the $150 spare tire - many who forgot to check that box wish they had, and wind up paying 3 times as much to have the dealer add it later.

If you like music, think about getting the Premium Sound as the base system is marginal (and that's being charitable). Again, if you search through the threads here, you will fine many members who wish they had gotten the Premium Sound.

I would also sit in an X5 that has the black interior and the (non-Sport package) gray headliner to see if you like it. I think it is "okay" with black, but IMHO the anthracite is much nicer. (OTOH I do not like Anthracite with the all beige interior, as I think it is jarring).

Welcome to the Fest - you are going to love that diesel!
This is good feedback - looks like I will be stopping by the dealer tonight on my way home.. :)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
Thanks all.

Looks like the roof rails are standard on the 35i premium and 35i sport activity, but optional in the other trims including the diesel I ordered.

@two-five-boy, why get the spare if I have run-flat tires? I have gotten a flat 3 times in the past 17 years and all times the damage was repairable - meaning the tire did not shred to pieces.

@DocComix and @two-five-boy, I was thinking to use the auxiliary input that comes standard to connect my iPhone for music, rather than use the bluetooth that would drain my battery. So I guess I am trying to figure out if the functionality of selecting a playlist over the iDrive is worth $400 for the USB port.

Why get a spare? 2 reasons: (1.) If you drive on a deflated run flat, it is RUINED. A $150 spare (reusable) will keep you from spending $350 or more on a new tire if (when?) you get a flat. (2.) Over half of us hate our run-flats due to the harsh ride and the ridiculous cost of replacing them. If you have a spare, you are not "stuck" riding on RFT's for the life of the vehicle.

You can upload music from a CD; however, it will not be as high quality as an MP3 you rip and burn yourself. (But if you don't really care about music and the base sound system works for you, this may not be a concern).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks all.

The reason is that runflats cannot be repaired as per manufacturer. They have to be replaced and they do cost more than regular tires to buy. Their price went down and you can fidn them on Tirerack.com for around 250$ but with install it goes to 300$ a piece.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,686 Posts
The reason is that runflats cannot be repaired as per manufacturer. They have to be replaced and they do cost more than regular tires to buy. Their price went down and you can fidn them on Tirerack.com for around 250$ but with install it goes to 300$ a piece.
Well, you're partly (mostly?) right.

The manufacturers DO allow you to repair RFT's - minor damage like a nail or screw - as long as the tire does not lose too much air. (Check the tire warranty that comes in your owner's manual - it's there in black and white). It's BMW that prohibits repairs - far be it from me to say that's so the dealerships can sell more tires.....

However, once you have driven on a DEFLATED RFT, it is toast. (Same thing as driving on a deflated non-RFT, except in that case you woldn't get very far). So one of hte benefits of having a spare is it allows you to pull over, replace the deflated RFT with the spare, and drive to the local tire shop, spending $50 for a flat repair instead of $300-plus for a new tire.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks all.

In all likelihood you won't be riding on RFT's after the original set, since they ride more harsh, noisy when near end of life, and are much more expensive to replace than a non-rft tire.

I get your question a bit better now. What I do is create separate folders w/playlists before uploading it to the car. Once there I just open the individual folders and voila.
:dunno:about the non-usb upload, as that's exactly what I've been using.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts