BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own a 2001 BMW X5 3.0i running 17" wheels. Came across a sweet deal for some new 2011 X5 19" wheels with new run flat Conti's (from a guy who wanted 20's). After some investigation, seems the older hub is smaller than the new. The lug bolts are not enough to center the wheel resulting in unusual wobbling.

Is there a solution to fix this?
If so, where do I find it?
Thks, Tom

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,625 Posts
Own a 2001 BMW X5 3.0i running 17" wheels. Came across a sweet deal for some new 2011 X5 19" wheels with new run flat Conti's (from a guy who wanted 20's). After some investigation, seems the older hub is smaller than the new. The lug bolts are not enough to center the wheel resulting in unusual wobbling.

Is there a solution to fix this?
If so, where do I find it?
Thks, Tom
You need a good machine shop. Have them rebore the center hubs to the E53 size and you're all set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Propellerhead, but it is the other way around. The hubs on the E53 are smaller than the E70 wheels. I am going to a high-end wheel shop tomorrow in hopes of getting hub spacers or shims to take up the difference and center the wheels. The shop says they need to measure both before seeing if they have a solution. Otherwise, all might be lost!:cry:

·
RetiredBum
849 Posts
Yes, the E53 wheels have a smaller hub bore:

E53 rims have a center bore of 72.51 and the E70 rims have a center bore of 74.1.

Several posters on this and other boards have had success with using hub centric rings on the E70 wheels on an E53 hub.

Any good wheel/tire joint should be able to help.
GL, mD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the sizes and also thanks for the link to the hub centric rings. Those look just like what the wheel shop used. Of course they charged me $40 for the job, but hey, I am happy now! I may use the link to buy a backup set as they are just plastic.
Thanks again everyone,
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts