BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently got my car serviced by BMW, they inspected everything including the rotors and pads, no need to replace anything as they are all in good shape.

That was 2 weeks ago, I put about 80 miles on the truck since and now I hear my brakes make a squeaking noise when I brake - also when I reverse I hear a loud noise for a brief moment. The squeaking noise is non existent if I am braking at low speeds.

The idrive is not throwing any alerts, all checks are green. Is it time to take it in again or is there something else I could check?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just changed the brakes on my 2011 X5M and had some squealing as well...if you have an air compressor try blowing air into and behind the calipers to blow all the break dust out of them. I blew all the built up break dust out and the squealing went away...if you don't have a compressor go to any mechanic and ask them to do it for you

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this issue on my X6M. It was so loud that people would turn and stare if you were backing up or lightly braking to a stop. I brought this up 2 times with the dealer and was told each time that it was normal vehicle function due to the high performance nature of the brakes and was given a printout explaining this. They also said they cleaned the pads and rotors. The squealing of course continued and worsened and the last time it was in for service I told them it was NOT normal to the extent they were making noise and when I was told it was ready for pickup they told me BMW authorized the pad change even though they were not worn to replacement level and that the new ones were a revised design. This finally resolved the issue.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,984 Posts
Even for mechanical-'technicians' (them's scare quotes), post hoc ergo propter hoc is a weak logic. Analogously, if BMW authorized the entire vehicle change, would that resolve the issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just realized i didnt keep everybody the outcome on this issue - turns out there is nothing wrong with the brakes, it's just that i have performance after market pads on the original BMW rotors, there is a small space between the pad and the case which causes it to make that noise when i back up - BMW recommended i just keep the pads since they are brand new, and i will just change them to BMW pads once i wear them out.

·
Prefers bhp over mpg
485 Posts
Brake squeal upon initial application of brakes when backing up isn't that unusual of an issue for the M. Mine does it, my neighbor's M does it, and others experience it according to the internets. Just some sort of odd resonance when those big rotors/pads are cold.

Gotta love the creative dealer explanation though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.